1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

EURO 2016

Discussion in 'World Football' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Dec 11, 2015.

Discuss EURO 2016 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Swervedancer Guest

I've posted this before. I still don't know how many Uefa coaches Scotland has or Portugal but this is a part of the problem England has:

Three years ago an official report concluded that coaching is the "golden thread" leading to international success, but new Uefa data shows that there are only 2,769 English coaches holding Uefa's B, A and Pro badges, its top qualifications. Spain has produced 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970 and France 17,588.

Nothing to do with coaching but I thought this was an interesting fact describing how passionate Benfica fans are. Quite impressive.

2. Luz1904

Tried to find some data but couldn't. I can tell you however that Portugal had the most managers in Champions League and Europa League last season, 11. Spain in 2nd place, with 8.

Champions League:
    Mourinho (Chelsea)
    Rui Vitória (Benfica)
    Marco Silva (Olympiacos)
    Nuno Espírito Santo (Valência)
    André Villas Boas (Zenit)

Europa League:
    Jorge Jesus (Sporting)
    Paulo Fonseca (Braga)
    Sá Pinto (Belenenses)
    Paulo Sousa (Fiorentina)
    Vítor Pereira (Fenerbahce)
    Leonardo Jardim (Mónaco)

Good coaches certainly are a big part of the success. Both in senior and youth football.

Jorge Jesus often makes fun of english managers, saying that they are 20 years behind portuguese managers. But he's... special, to say the least.

3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    To be fair he's probably right.

We seem to produce decent(ish) managers - although with Fergie retired the penchant for Scottish managers down south here is waning.
    Youth football in Scotland, and the whole of the UK is quite literally a joke.

In all my years in youth teams i was never told what tactics were, practised technique or was even told what the offside rule was - as a right back! :56:

It's probably a similar story for other guys too. Football here is all about heart and not the head.

4. Swervedancer Guest

That's a remarkable statistic, it must also mean you heavily invest in youth managers too to promotes so many to such a high senior level.

Even if the guy is joking his is very right, England has the richest league in the world by a considerable distance and it doesn't invest, it's insane.

Senna is right, when I was a kid it was just get the ball up the field as quickly as possible. There was no extensive practising of ball control or tactics. Not even simple things like positioning for a throw in. Free kicks just went to the guy with the hardest shot. The goalkeeper was the maddest guy on the pitch who was willing to dive at people's feet.

I think it's been starting to change for a few years now but will still take some time. The irony is we have a Eufa training centre in Largs I think so we should get a good few people applying for that.

I'm hopeful in 10 years time we will have developed our youth better and caught up a little bit with the rest of the world.

A good think about Brendan Rodgers is he spent a couple of years in Spain learning their tactics by himself because he knew that was the best place to be. I think the guy is just completely immersed in the game which can only be good. In the first year if we could play even just a little bit of passing football it would be great to watch and successful too.

5. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    You gotta be special with a name like Jesus.....

6. Swervedancer Guest

Even Jesus taking the mickey out of England :smiley-laughing002:

7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I guess, but Bale seemed to do more for his team, every game. Pepe and Sanches should be the Portuguese stars in the Best XI. I believe an Icelandic player should be in the Best XI as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That's Jesus and * now that have ripped the pish outta England..

We might need to take this over to H and P for a definitive answer on who is who though..

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Thought Ramsey was much better than Bale in this tournament personally..

10. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

That's a joke of a list. Kimmich looked good against mickey mouse opponents but was out of place vs italy and france. Even German football magazines didn't think he played well.

Payet had two good games but then decided to become a ghost until he turned into a total * face.

Griezemann had an amazing tournament, so had Sissoko.

Glad to see Ramsey is getting some praise. He was outstanding.

Even Ronaldo was not up to his standards.

Names I miss on the list: Bale (Tournament MVP), Buffon. Chiellini,

11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Aye Bale had a fantastic group stage scoring 3, but the fact is he didn't score or assist in the knockout stages,

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I didn't think Bale was all that great. I saw all of Wales' matches and yes he scored 3 goals, but 2 of them were free kicks which really were simple saves.

He wasn't involved a lot in most of their games. It was the midfield doing all the work.

13. Swervedancer Guest

:56: I bet they already know.

If they don't give all the information you know, one must be Scottish and one must be Welsh. :smiley-laughing002:

PS: Don't ask Angus, he'll say it's Putin

14. Swervedancer Guest

Bale is normally a big game player too and Portugal was as big as they got so it was disappointing when he didn't show up, I honestly thought he was going to fire the team up and fire a couple in himself.

15. Nasser

Agree with this, people on here saying Bale is better than Ronaldo I just can't see it.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    :smiley-laughing002:

17. This Charming Man

I've reviewed my position on Pogba after watching him in this tournament. He just doesn't have that "wow" factor that I'd expect him to have. He doesn't seem to have the passing ability associated with world class CM's either, defensively he's not all that but does have great strength and is a problem when he's going forward with the ball

Although I would say that he was pretty consistent during the Euro's, I wouldn't say he ever really had a particularly great performance, especially when compared to his peers. I'm struggling to see where this £100m price tag is coming from after the games I seen him in but maybe that's just due to the modern money available to clubs.

If anything, he has time on his side. The technique and natural ability is definitely there but there are undoubtedly parts of his game he'll never have much fun with, namely his passing. He, in general, doesn't strike me as an all rounder when compared to more seasoned vets. I can't remember what Zidane was like at 23 as he was still at Bordeaux then and the CM position is one that generally favours more experienced players, so maybe the fact he's already top level at Juve is an indication of things to come insofar as progression and the trajectory of his talent is concerned.

He's an interesting player though, I'd like to see him move to either the La Liga or BPL so I can watch him more.

18. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Nearly had a fit when I seen the thing about payet getting POTT