1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Emilio Izaguirre

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Scottish Celt, Sep 15, 2012.

Discuss Emilio Izaguirre in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think anyone was suggesting he should get in ahead of Tierney. Not being match fit is entirely understandable given that Saturday was only his 2nd start of the season (and first for 3 and a half months)

For what it's worth I don't think we could get a better back up LB. He knows the club inside out and his enthusiasm is there for all to see, he won't be on big wages and he won't rock the boat behind the scenes for game-time. He knows Tierney is first choice LB. Even first-time round when Tierney took his place, KT said there was absolutely no animosity from him and that Emilio was giving him pointers all the time in training. The wee man is class all-round.

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Didn’t see a problem with him on Saturday. Yes he is lacking match fitness but we were not playing PSG. League opponents suit his game now. Looked lively and dependable. For the length of time he has been out I thought he was brilliant. Can’t go and sign players like that.

3. Mr. Slippyfist

I thought he was great for the wee snippets that I managed to catch.

If he's lacking in a bit of match fitness, so *' wit? Sometimes people really ought to reel their necks in and hawd their weesht...

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He is an excellent short term back up.. but if KT was injured for a substantial period is he capable of providing backup in Europe for example... we need quality backup in all positions and I’d like us to add someone like Birger Meling, we have been guilty of overplaying KT and expecting too much as times. Although RB is the priority in Jan, LB is something we should look at in the summer. Really like Meling but apparently EPL sniffing around him..

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    In fact Pad, I was more worried for him. He had a great 45 minutes and faded badly second half. Our opponents being the standard they are and the game being essentially over, he got away with it. I wanted to bring that second half into clearer relief, because I know how this place works. As soon as folk start praising someone for what they did well while blindly ignoring what they couldn't do, then it just takes one mistake that costs a goal and then certain people flip 180 degrees and the player becomes a target for all sorts of abuse that is not nice to read.

I love the wee guy and I think we couldn't ask for a better backup left back and he definitely still has the quality; but I just want us to be more realistic about that second half now so that no one starts abusing him if he gets caught out at some point.

Tommy25, packybhoy and JC Anton like this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Melling seems like a decent wee player, tidy on the ball and has good positional sense. I'd be worried about him being targeted for long diagonals from the SPFL hammer throwers as he's got a slight physique and isn't the tallest.

How likely would he be to sign knowing he would be 2nd choice? and how would that affect the dynamic behind the scenes if he started to get frustrated at the lack of game-time/development?

I get what you're saying about a quality replacement and over-playing KT but we could spend £15 million on a left back and they wouldn't be able to challenge Tierney. For me there's far bigger priorities in the team than LB.

I wouldn't be any more scared of going into a European game with Izaguirre at LB than I would with Lustig at RB; and he's our 1st choice.

Tommy25, packybhoy and JC Anton like this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye mate, but that shouldn’t the barometer..

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

True, just saying that given we'll have a finite budget there's much more pressing priorities.

What would Meling cost? £4 million+ ?

For me the next 5 transfers we make should be: RB (arguably 2 as Gamboa + Lustig contracts are up in Summer), CB, CB, LW, ST

If after that we still have money in the pot then we could look at improving the likes of LB cover.

9. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I've got man love for Izzy.

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye definitely mate, I would add GK to that list of priorities too.

Competition and decent cover for everyone is the goal and LB is no different tho, maybe Meling would be unwilling to play 2nd fiddle to KT, but we should try to find someone. With the amount of games we play they would get plenty of time on the park.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Agree JC. Shouldn’t but look at the * about with CB during 3 transfer windows. I’m thankful the Izaguirre family wanted back to Glasgow. Not much hope of going back to Honduras.:fear:

Tommy25 and JC Anton like this.
  12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    For the money we paid and the amount of appearances... Then the way he has come back on a free for back up one of the best value for money signings

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Tommy25 and dbhoy72 like this.
  13. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Is that meling lb for rosenbourg? I thought he looked useful too.

Izzy is incredible and it amazes the standard he still produces but it won't last forever. That meling isn't a bad shout at all

JC Anton likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I've actually said about that Melling/Rosenberg lad before, he looks tidy enough when we've played against them.
    Would take him as a back up and see what he can do, but would more depend on him I think, if he is willing to be backup and if he sees that he could develop here. Any back up left back has to assume they aren't ever going to oust Tierney, so it would be purely as development/stepping stone.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

15. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I dont think Melling would accept playing second fiddle to KT . He would be first choice at loads of decent clubs its just that we have a great LB that we would have to go down the development route as you say . Anyway Izzy is good enough at the minute

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye mate, but apparently EPL scouts have been watching him too.

17. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I said melling after the game in july he impressed me every time!

18. Jeremie Frimpong

Meling would be a great second-choice left-back for us, to be fair. He is obviously a lot younger than Izaguirre, which has its advantages.

There are other positions which we need to adress more urgently though. Izaguirre will do a job until the end of the season.

19. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Not many players will want to come and play 2nd choice to Tierney as thats all they would be we have one of the best young players in europe in that position so its not a position worth significantly investing in. Izzy is adequate cover he wont play many games though.

A young Right back with quality is what we need and Lustig as cover.

Left wing and another threat upfront to replace Dembele'. Rest of the team is good.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Another nice assist from Meling last night.. bring him home..:shamrock:

stubhoy07 likes this.