1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

EL: anyone else enjoying this a lot more than the CL?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Random Review, Nov 30, 2018.

Discuss EL: anyone else enjoying this a lot more than the CL? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    If we get the result against Salzburg then personally i'd have had far more enjoyment out of this years EL campaign than last season's CL games other than Anderlecht. Personally thought Leipzig was our best game at CP in Europe since the City game.

Always want the money and prestige of CL but we weren't good enough this year and we need serious investment to qualify let alone compete in the CL groups.

2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    As domestic Champions we have far more right to be there than the majority of teams that play in it.

3. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    See tbh, we should be getting automatic entry into the CL every year irrespective of league coefficient.

If Uefa want its premier competition to maintain its historical prestige, then it must pay homage to the competition's history by ensuring entry for clubs who have previously won the competition.

Teams like ourselves, Ajax, Red Star etc. have a celebrated pedigree in the European Cup that is recognized and respected across Europe.

For instance, I was recently reading the European press reaction to Red Star's victory over Liverpool, which was unanimously celebratory - much of which was attributed to a genuine admiration for Red Star's previous achievements and because it represented something of a throwback to when football was more pure and more fair. I read similar pieces when we beat Barca in 2012.

If Uefa have to satisfy the 'big leagues' this should be balanced by adequately protecting historical winners and historical clubs. The way to do this would be to give automatic entry for previous winners provided they win their domestic leagues. That would go some way to restoring faith in the game.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

What gets you more excited? Listening to the iconic Champions League anthem playing as our players stand in line under the floodlights of Celtic Park, or the dodgy Euro dance music of the Europa League.

The answer to that question is the answer to the question of this thread...

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN and The IRA like this.
  5. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Think people need to get over the fact that its not champions only anymore, its been the 'champions league' in name only for 20 years now and its never going back to the way it was and tbh the fact we won it once 51 years ago shouldn't mean we get special treatment in 2018, the footballing landscape is unrecognisable to what it was back then and we just have to live with it.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

If you win the European Cup at ANY stage or format, you should automatically qualify for every tournament since your victory.

End of.

The IRA and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw. You're alright pal.

The IRA likes this.
  8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Would love for us to get a group with Nottingham Forest, Hamburg, and Steaua Bucharest.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Is it that simple though, mate? I could flip this around by fast-forwarding 70 minutes and asking you what is more exciting going into the last 20 minutes: watching with your heart in your shoes and a sick feeling in your stomach, praying that PSG don't get a 6th; or watching a game on knife edge against a *-good-but-not-light-years-ahead-of-us Bundesliga side?

Of course that is also oversimplifying. The reality is that there are lots of factors to take into account (including your point) and that is why the poll is so split.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

#metoo

11. Mr. Slippyfist

It really IS that simple.

I love watching Celtic win against ANY European team in ANY European competition, but despite what the Champions League has become, it's still the pinnacle of European Competition, and possible world football.

As I say, do you still get the same feeling of goosebumps stood at CP listening to the CL music blaring out (or watching on TV dependant of circumstance) or stood there listening to the * Europa League music?

It's not even comparable if you ask me.

Yes of course I certainly have no ambition to see my team being pumped whatever by PSG and the like, but give me the feeling of even drawing against Man City at CP over drawing/winning against any team in the Europa League.

That's not to say I'm degrading the Europa League, it's still a good competition, but it's not the Champions League.

The IRA and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I understand what you're saying, mate; but I still think it isn't that simple. It is true that the CL anthem gives me goosebumps just like you and there have been some CL moments that are up there with the best moments of my life (not sure what that says about me TBH; but it can't be good :56:); but equally the lows recently have been very, very low and more and more frequent. That last campaign was the end of the magic for me. I didn't look forward to this year's games at all. I wanted us to reach the CL, because it is best for Celtic, yes; but as a fan, inside I was also dreading it. I'm enjoying this much more.

In contrast, the EL has surprised me with how much I have enjoyed it, the actual games as well as the results. Yes, it doesn't match the magic of what the CL was years ago; but for me it absolutely more than matches the last 3 CL campaigns (Man City aside), which were all painful to say the least. Count that, mate: that's one magical night (Man City*) from 18 games.

* and even that was a draw. I remember being gutted to only draw with Bayern at CP under MON. :giggle1:

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A goal or a win in the CL means more.

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN and The IRA like this.
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye of course our performances in the CL have been shocking to say the least in recent years, but that's down to players and management.

We've performed to that standard in the Europa league this season also (and to be honest, there's a * load of teams in the EL that one would argue are CL quality).

I'm happy playing in the Europa League and happy doing well, but we're only here because we never done well enough to get into the CL, which I'm sure everyone will admit they were absolutely gutted at not reaching.

If we were in the CL, I guarantee that the majority of people would not give a flying * about the Europa because the CL is where we all want to be, first and foremost...

The IRA, Random Review and JC Anton like this.
  15. aliceinsound

so all 22 winners should qualify every year? :56: that would end up being even more repetitive than the current format

littlekennie likes this.
  16. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

they shouldnt be allowing 4 or 5 teams from any 1 country to participate thats down to big leagues and countries perverting the competition, i wouldnt have been against 2 teams a league winner and a runner up going through the qualifiers to get to the champions league but 4 or 5 teams from spain england italy france e.t.c they've just created a premier division euro league/cup

based on big rich western european countries, its corrupt to *

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Obviously happy when we do well in any competition but the only reason we are in the Europa league this season is becauae we failed, we let big players go without replacing them and made a * of the boyata situation

The Europa league is not our level, we belong in the champions league

It’s not about winning it or even thinking you have a chance against the big clubs when you’re in our position, but being a team at the tail end of the list of elite European clubs is nothing to be ashamed of

Wanting Europa League every year because we’ve more chance of winning a game in that competition is settling and any club that call themselves champions that are happy to do it are embarassing

The IRA likes this.
  18. Markybhoy

Sick to death of the Champions League. It's not a sporting competition anymore, it's a money printing exercise for a select few clubs. The fact that the Champions League music is great is neither here nor there.

StPauli1916 and Westlondonscot like this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think anyone wants the EL, mate. There's a difference between wanting and enjoying. I want to eat nice, fresh, healthy food and try my best to do so; but when I do fail and end up eating a big pile of chips, I enjoy it a lot.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Chipper chips Random ?;)

Saul Goodman likes this.