1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

EL: anyone else enjoying this a lot more than the CL?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Random Review, Nov 30, 2018.

Discuss EL: anyone else enjoying this a lot more than the CL? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Of course it's more "fun" watching us beat Leipzig, RBK and hopefully Salzburg, rather than getting skelped in the UCL groups, but to get to this stage we had to endure the most un enjoyable 180 mins of your life vs AEK.

We are here because we weren't good enough for the UCL, and that's not good enough.

2. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Leipzig are a better team than aek I wouldn't say we were not good enough... We were not good enough in that game and football is unforgiving in that respect I think if Rodgers had tinkered with squad and started mcgregor Christie rogic sinclair out wide we would be through we missed that forward pass that brown or ntcham could not find when we were at home and the defence had let us down having no benkovic or boyata...... Perfect example seville team got edged out of CL on an away goal I don't think they were not good enough for champions league

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

3. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

They beat us over two legs and had a man disadvantage for 30 mins in the home leg - We weren't good enough.

Dress it up whatever way, note improvements, players out of form, players missing - We weren't good enough.

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't think we would. He wanted out, back home to a club who will pay him. He would not have got in the France team with us. and it wasn't the money Celtic sold him for, it was because he was a little whining * and he would not have played.

5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I hate to say it but the el is certainly where we "belong" in terms of competition.

We just cannot compete with 80% of the sides in the cl. And its not going to get any better. The way the cl is set up is just to feed the rich and * the poor... and in terms of money available... were definately poor.

Im enjoying this comp alot more than i thought i would. I even called it a diddy comp which shouldnt be a proirity when we failed at athens . But the players look to be taking to it well.

But we NEED that cl group stage money to stave off stagnation.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I remember quotes from Rodgers at the time, before we were eliminated by AEK, that Dembele was happy to stay. Added to the fact that he forced his way out on transfer deadline day, it seems more likely that he would have stayed until at least January, had we made the group stages.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    To put it into perspective, as much as I enjoyed the victory over Red Bull, I wouldn't rank it above any of our CL group stages victories from over the years, not one. In fact, I was basically 'over it' by the time we played Livingston on the Sunday. Good result yes, but the EL just doesn't do it for me.

The reality is, we are a CL club, history dictates that we are more deserving of being there than the majority of other clubs in the competition. It's where we belong.

8. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    CL is where our club belongs . The exposure we get makes it a bit easier to sign better players who want to play in it plus the money we receive can pay for those better players . Without the money we get from getting into the group stages will see us stagnate and make it even harder to qualify into the groups

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Theirs difference between not being good enough to get by a team on the day and saying we are not good enough for a group in champions league as a whole which you are implying

10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The quicker they all * off to play their elite league on the moon the better, as you say it’s the same pish year on year now.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If we get through, aye..

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I found the win over Leipzig much more enjoyable than the win over Anderlecht, personally.

Leipzig are a far better team than that Anderlecht side were.

13. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I am enjoying the EL and have always liked the competition. It's reputation seems to suffer as a consequence of the English looking down their noses at it. But it's nice to play competitive games on a slightly more level playing field. And it's also great to see the stadium full for the group stage when a few years back the entire upper tier was closed.

However, the CL is where the money is at and where the real excitement is imo. The Leipzig atmosphere was great but the CL is something else. As a club, if we have any ambition, that's where we should be aiming to be.

14. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    They're both *. The CIS cup is the best.

Doogs. likes this.
  15. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I will REALLY start to enjoy it the moment we reach the last 8:lol:

Random Review likes this.
  16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Was thinking just this, mate. I'd genuinely put both Red Bull clubs roughly on a par with that BMG team we faced in Brendan's first CL campaign. Far better than that Anderlecht team. In fact, I don't think that Anderlecht team are all that much better than this year's Rosenborg team we have beaten twice in this group (and once earlier in the year). Probably they just shade it; but I don't feel a massive difference in quality TBH.

Believe! :ynwacelti

Doogs. likes this.
  17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The beauty of football

18. leeso-ardoyne

Agree with this. I * hate it TBH. It should be all * into a pot and whoever gets picked out plays each other weather in knock out or CL. This balls about 4 teams from one league, 1 from others and some have to even qualify for the * thing is a joke.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  19. leeso-ardoyne

You think, 3-5 years of that and the board will still be spinning us bullshit when theres no serious recruitment

20. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    If we can’t earn the CL then it’s not where we belong. I enjoy the EL and we need this time for our coefficient and for experience of our young players. Until we can hold our own in the CL a bit better than we have no right to be there