1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of Brexit and possible Scottish independence on Celtic?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Leone Naka Fan, Dec 14, 2019.

Discuss Effects of Brexit and possible Scottish independence on Celtic? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Easy scenario to all this brexit mess England should allow Scotland her own autonomy.... Like a US state Scotland then stays In EU effectively still being apart of same union with England in regards to defence and trade with them that way England can still trade with the EU through scotland everybody gets what they want

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Then how would immigration work? Let's all fly over to scotland and pop across the boarder to london. We would then have a hard boarder. Not that it bothers me. Pop it up and I'll drive through it with my driving license :56:

3. leeso-ardoyne

All guess work for a daft * from North Belfast like myself but I've just popped in with the popcorn for this thread :60:

4. Nasser

There will be more of an emphasis on producing good home-grown youth players and that's where the real money is going to be in the future. The value for young Scottish players will rise. At the moment they are chronically undervalued compared to English players. I like what Newcastle are doing they not only have young prospects breaking into their team they are from Newcastle and Gateshead area as well.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  5. Maestro 08

The rest of the UK is our biggest trading partner by far though. We do 4 times the amount of trade with the UK than we do with the EU. 45 billion to 12 billion. So how are we better off out the UK but in the EU?

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

What the actual * are you slabbering about?

The only part of your rambling mess of a post worth commenting on is the stockpiling food part. Whilst that might be a bit of an overreaction you can already see prices rocketing in this country. That's only with the uncertainty of Brexit. Wait until it actually kicks in.

7. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ye there's no easy answer. I think we'll be poorer whatever we do. I don't believe it though when it's said that Scotland is poorer than RUK, it doesn't make sense. We're the only part of the UK with a positive trade deficit. We've got whisky (>50% all UK food and drink exports),other food exports, tourism, financial services, good unis with research etc, renewable energy, oil etc and only 5.5m people to provide for. We can also spread the wealth we have more equitably. Why do they want to hold onto us so much if we're such a liability. Comes down to do you believe Scotland should be an independent country which is decided as much with the heart as the head.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    How much of that 45 billion that's traded to England then gets traded to EU from England like to know that though

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

9. Tommy25

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Bullshit

Sent from my LDN-L01 using Tapatalk

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    The pound against the euro has, since the GE result, seen sterling rise and this is expected to continue in the new year. Although there are other reasons for this as well, most notably America/China trade deal phase 1 However phase 2 will see a drop in value most certainly but that wont happen til trump has been re-elected IF that happens.

Dollars I believe.

King of Kings likes this.
  11. Maestro 08

How so? They're Scottish Goverment figures. Not mine.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Why do they want to hold onto us? Well imagine the divorce bill for one. We are rightful owners of trillions of assets. Personally at first alot of people will get a shock how much worse off we are. Over time we will improve and then be better. Wont happen over night.

13. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    That's my point. We're not the liability they say we are.

14. imacdiar

Scotland is most certainly not the liability they say we are.We have been sending more south than we have been receiving back for over a hundred years.Scotland is also probably the most resourse rich country in Europe.The big problem is we have limited levers to grow our economy and one of our many riches is its educated people which we have been loosing for decades.Scotlands population has barely changed since the early 70's one of the lowest in the world and it has been getting older.Scotland needs immigration and to rtain its youth the poulation should have been similiar to Norways 8M.If England plays silly buggers we switch of the lights,the water,the oil,thegas,the fish transport back their nuclear war heads and soon they will be reasonable.
    Scotland to small,to poor,to stupid my *.

15. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    You say that like if we are not in the uk they won't trade with us. That won't happen, communal trade is important especially when you have natural resources as Scotland does

Mickmac likes this.
  16. celtic warrior

The effects of brexit and independence would be an interesting one on Scottish football.

As I've said before so long as we can still spend millions on players and the fan base aren't so negatively effected on a personal level where their finances mean they can no longer attend or buy season tickets (which for some I'm sure it will), that's when you'd see the effects most.

Money talks in the end, however an independent Scotland outside of the EU and UK, well I'd like to see what that would have done to signing some of best players over the years, Ntcham and Dembele being two, French but coming from England. Ajer? And probably others I can't think of.

Out the three named Dembele probably would have been one we should have got over the line as he was a fairly regular senior player for Fulham, Ajer and Ntcham on the other hand I wouldn't be so sure about.

17. Maestro 08

No I say it like there would be potential restrictions to that trade deal in the event of us leaving the union. I.e much the same as all the apocalyptic scare stories right now regarding Brexit and the new trade deals required with the EU in that event.

18. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This

19. wulliebad

Give me a break....truly independent......sigh.
    UK and EU are not the same thing..admit it your'e just a NO voting bawbag.:56:

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Go all in or * off you fence sitting *. :56:

Edited to add laughy face so it looks like were no insulting each other etc etc.