1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Efe Ambrose

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Bhoy., Feb 12, 2013.

Discuss Efe Ambrose in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nah I don't agree at all. I think he isn't good enough for this level at CB if we're going to play openly like last night. And I'm not saying every time the ball comes near him he should blooter it away. He can always play a pass to Wilson or Lustig etc. Trying to skip past attackers on the edge of your own area is idiotic when your the last line of defence and it will cost you.

2. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Not many can say two goals weren't the result of Efe's defensive errors. But I won't slate any player for wanting to play. Let's be honest in his shoes all of us would have taken the chance to play. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

3. Barney Stinson

I know he cost the first goal as well, but him wanting to play football only cost us the third goal which was what I said. Yes it was a mistake, and a pretty bad one, but one which he wouldn't have made if he just flew back from South Africa. Folk saying * like he plays too much football for a centre back is just wrong in my opinion. I'd much rather have a centre back that does that than hoof it away every time he gets it.

4. Barney Stinson

Why not? He's generally good enough to do so. He made a mistake last night. So does every footballer. But he brings the ball out of defence every week and hasn't cost us a goal from it. His mistakes last night were clearly the result of him being fatigued, not trying to play football.

5. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I much prefer Ambrose taking the ball out from the back than Wilson. Wilson obviously realised last season that he's just not suited to doing that (considering he lost the ball virtually every time he attempted it last year) and has settled into the defensive side more this year which is why he's a contender for POTY. Ambrose seems a lot better at it and, last night aside, hasn't been caught out by doing it.

6. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    It was a mistake to play him. There is a reason why we have a squad. to have replacements players and other options.

I felt the formation we set out with just played into Juve's style as well. We should have played Juve at there own game, and sat back kept it tight and played them on the break.

I felt Forster, who is only back from injury himself could have made more of an effort to get back for the 1st and was a little to blame also.

Obviously the keepers in reserve just arent good enough.

very disappointing.

7. Shane1888

How anyone can lay the blame entirely on Lennon astounds me.

You could say that Neil was at fault for starting him, but why the * didn't Ambrose just tell the truth and say that he felt he would be better starting on the bench? We could have went with Wilson and Mulgrew at CB, or even put Lustig in there and started Matthews at RB.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as many have probably already said on here in the last 12 hours, but it is not just Lennon's fault. The blame is split evenly between both manager and player.

8. Markybhoy

Efe's performance last night brought back memories of Gary Caldwell. :s:

9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He doesn't come up against world class players every week though. Last night was not the time to do it. I can't agree with fatigue being the reason... he was exposed. Maybe that's why he plays RB for Nigeria.

Can only hope he learns from last night. He has time on his hands. In a few years he could end up a top class CB, but he was out of his depth last night.

10. C2911

He'll bounce back. Feel sorry for him. Talk about going from probably the best achievement of your career to rock bottom in the space of two days. Bet he feels like crap today.

11. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    * he,s no that bad :icon_mrgreen:

12. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Terrible decision to play him. Not a big fan of him even before last night, he was obviously going to be tired and more prone to losing concentration and making mistakes which cost us the game

13. TimFloyd Gold Member

Ambrose is a really good defender, last night was just one of those horrible games that every player has at points in their career. just a * game to have it in :smiley-laughing002:

I am sure Efe is feeling it enough today without being told.

14. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

This is his first season at the top level.

He has done well for us domestically, and performed very well in Europe, too. He has also become a regular for his country and just won an international tournament.

He is only 24 and still needs the rough edges to his game smoothed, and that will come. He has all the tools to be a very good defender for us.

15. Barney Stinson

He has played in the Champions League though and played the same way. He's never been one to hoof it for us. I disagree, I don't think he would have made the mistakes if he hadn't got off a 12 hour flight yesterday morning. He was perhaps stupid to say he was fit to play, but I think mentally he wasn't right yesterday, his concentration wasn't right.

I don't agree he was out of his depth, he was fantastic at times in the group stages. He keep Messi and co quiet. With the form they've been in this season that's basically been impossible. Perhaps our style of play last night left him exposed. But I hope he continues to play football the same way.

16. ORIGINALS

Lennon's fault for playing him imo.

17. john2061

ambrose for me is a average defender and if celtic want to get further in the champions league they need to spend a bit of money on two quality centre halfs as thats were i feel we are lacking and just goes to prove neil lennon chose to play him as the back ups arnt good enough .

18. Bonobhoy

Agree...lennons fault....but its another learning mistake tbh...a good thing...wont happen again

19. Gillie_bhoy

Wilson is great so don't have a clue what you are on about. Ambrose is raw and unless he overcomes that (like Wanyama) then he will never be good enough for Celtic

20. Markybhoy

He wiz last night. :54: