1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Efe Ambrose

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Bhoy., Feb 12, 2013.

Discuss Efe Ambrose in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

/thread

2. Celtic abu

I think I saw another post on here earlier suggesting he could be a holding midfielder? I think this is spot on. Will be a good replacement for big Victor. I really like Efe - real classy player - but he can be a bit of a bombscare at times

3. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    If Ambrose was to be played at all it should have been in midfield, where if he does lose the ball there is still cover to bail him out, at centre back any kind of mistake and a quality player will score, happened twice to ambrose.

Both goals were really annoying, first one completely knocked the stuffing out of the players and the fans and the third killed the tie.

4. The The Hand

I have never been convinced by Ambrose at CB, as I feel his positioning is erratic, he lacks acceleration to correct, and when caught out of position he has a tendency to flap and overcommit.

But it's crazy to judge him on tonight's performance, as he simply shouldn't have been on the field, as anyone with any sense knew already.

Have no idea what was going through Lenny's head - triumph of optimism over common sense?

5. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Of course it was.:50:

6. SpellCheck92

Felt for the big man tonight. He doesn't pick the team the manager does. Any blame lies at Neil's door.

7. Bhoy.

This is exactly how I feel.

He has probably went from an extreme high to an extreme low, and it wasn't his fault.

8. Larsson93

Lenny obviously asked him if he was fit to play.

Hindsight is a great thing to have, everyone was begging for Ambrose to be able to start before the match.

9. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Hoops team-mate Kris Commons blasted the Nigerian defender who stepped off a ten-hour flight from South Africa to face the Italians.
    Ambrose declared himself fit to start but was culpable at Juve’s opener in two minutes and he had a nightmare match.
    Commons said: “Look, the manager picked him.
    “He pulled him to one side and asked him if he was feeling okay.
    “He said that he was feeling brilliant.
    “You know, if he wasn’t feeling okay then he should have said.
    “If he felt good then he should have put in a better performance.”
    Talking generally about the goals Celtic conceded on the night, Commons blasted: “It was just very sloppy, individual mistakes — something you’d probably get away with on a playground, not in the last 16 of the Champions League.
    “There are certain individuals who let the team down tonight.

:38: * poor from Commons

10. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Hope fans do not turn on the big man.

11. bogsidebhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper, Izzy, Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I won't turn on the big man. It wasn't his fault tonight, of course he will want to play but I believe that Lennon should have Meade the decision to keep him out because let's face it, he played 90 minutes in Africa 48 hours before hand

12. Celtic Bhoy 94

Think he hit the nail on the head, Commons is allowed to have an opinion but maybe he should not have said it with the press present as they will twist his words but obviously he said this because he is disappointed at losing 3-0 like the rest of us and his emotions have just gotten the better of him

13. bogsidebhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper, Izzy, Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    This

As I've said, Lennon shouldn't have given him the option of playin and said to him he's dropped due to the long journey

14. Larsson93

Commons is hurting and rightly so. But the players shouldnt be talking to the media and blaming each other. Efe could easily turn around and tell Kris that he shouldnt be directing his shots into Gigi Buffons hands.

15. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    :56: You think if Commons was in Efe shoes he would have said no do not play me ? What player would do that ? None ffs it was one of the biggest games in the lads life ffs .
    Lennon is the gaffer he is the one paid to make the choice maybe he should have just put Efe on the bench or not played him at all .

16. Don Corleone

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamuraaaaaa
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ambrose won his continents version of the Euros on Sunday, spent Monday flying up from the bottom of Africa to almost the top of Europe and then on Tuesday was asked to play against one of the best teams in Europe.

It's Lenny's fault for picking him, not his.

17. goodybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't rate ambrose , never have. Too sloppy just like our central defenders have always been. Shocking performance tonight.

18. LubosMagic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Victor Wanyama
    Thought it was a mistake the fella playin tonight but he usually performs jet lag and the fact he was playin in a final a couple days ago in a different continent shouldve said to lennon no this man cannot possibly play. Mulgrew shoulda been in there or rogne if he is registered for the cl

19. JrOhara2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broon, Ledley, Kayal, Big Jos, Hooper, Murphy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Let the people sing
    He was *, Wilson was *, and Foster was dreadful.
    Glad to be back on the site though lads, been a while

20. CharlieMulgrini

I thought losing that early goal effectively killed the tie, and big Efe was woeful at a simple ball lofted forward - he let it sail over him and was hopelessly caught out. So basically Lenny picks the team, and big Efe should have been nowhere near that starting line up; and as I've said all along his position is midfield not CB. He's dodgy against Scottish attackers there - how the * can you trust him against Italians champion strikers? Truly Baffling.

All that said we played well and took the game to Juve and had our chances - no lack of fight or desire - we were simply undone by individual errors from Efe Ambrose, and Efe Ambrose's inability to convert from 4 yards out from a cross - when it looked easier to score.

Shame.