1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Efe Ambrose

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Bhoy., Feb 12, 2013.

Discuss Efe Ambrose in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hibernian have completed a transfer coup after landing Efe Ambrose on a permanent two-year deal.

The Nigerian international spent the second half of last season on loan at Easter Road, playing a key role in their promotion to the Premiership after red tape wrecked a switch to Blackburn Rovers.

Signed by Celtic in 2012, the defender will put pen to paper when he officially becomes a free agent on Thursday.

Eligible for British citizenship in August after living in the UK for five years, the expectation was that Ambrose would sign a short-term deal with Hibs until January before joining a club in England or abroad.

However, in a huge boost to Neil Lennon’s plans for an assault on the top flight, he has agreed a permanent contract until the summer of 2019.

Ambrose, 28, was previously on the radar of Standard Liege, FC Schalke and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JACKIE McNAMARA senior is convinced Hibs are signing a player still to hit his prime after Efe Ambrose agreed a two-year deal with the club.

The Easter Road side are in the process of cutting through the red tape to complete the Nigeria internationalist’s switch following the end of his contract at Celtic.

The 28-year-old was reunited this season with Hibs boss Neil Lennon, who signed him for Celtic in 2012, and the move revitalised a career that was in danger of unravelling amidst high-profile mistakes with the Hoops.

McNamara insists Ambrose ‘strolled’ through his 12-game loan spell, helping the capital club clinch the Championship title and come close to a place in this month’s Scottish Cup final.

And the former Hibs and Celtic defender believes the versatile stopper represents a huge signing coup for his old club.

McNamara told @CCP_sport: “I’m absolutely delighted, it’s a great signing. I was hoping they would manage to sign him and I’m delighted they have.

“Of course, Neil Lennon knows what he can do from their time at Celtic and I loved watching him when he was at Hibs on loan.

“Did he ever come off the pitch with mud on his shorts? He strolled it. I know he’s going up a level next season but he’s still just 28 – he’s not hit his prime yet.

“Anyone watching him play for Hibs last season would have snapped him up and I actually thought he would go down to the Championship in England.

“It’s a great bit of business from the club and already I’m really looking forward to next season.”

Random Review and packybhoy like this.
  5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    It is a good signing for Hibs. He is repaying Lennons faith in him.

Random Review likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Speaking to my mates today they seem happy with it.

packybhoy likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Absolutely massive signing for Hibs.

Said it a while ago, he's too good for them. He could easily play top end of the Championship down the road and pad his retirement fund out.

Hibs fans have a lot to thank Lenny for.

Random Review, Artorias and packybhoy like this.
  8. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

he'll do really well at hibs, not as much pressure on him like he was under at celtic. He's a good player,
    just not Celtic class.

Random Review and Artorias like this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Bye.

Doogs. likes this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good luck Efe.

11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Thanks for the memories. :55:

[​IMG]

apevrak, Marty McFly and Artorias like this.
  12. Mince.Charming

28 in yakubu years.

13. Pacific Ocean Blue

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON has hailed the capture of the ‘much-maligned’ Efe Ambrose as ‘very exciting’ and a ‘real coup’ – with Hibs confirming that Martin Boyle has also penned a new two-year deal.

Ambrose has agreed the same length of contract following the end of his time at Celtic, with the Easter Road outfit awaiting the completion of paperwork on a move for a player Lennon took to Parkhead in 2012 and believes is now hitting his peak.

The Nigeria internationalist was guilty of high-profile mistakes with Celtic but restored his reputation with an impressive 12-game loan stint with Hibs last season.

With Hibs announcing they have sold over 10,900 season-tickets for next term, Lennon said: “I think it’s worked out well for both parties. To get a player of that calibre in the building on a two-year deal is very exciting.

“I think we saw how good a player he is during that time with us last season. He was a much-maligned character but he showed what a quality player he is.

“He is always healthy, he’s never injured so I think it’s a great bit of business. Credit to the people behind the scenes for making it happen.

“I think we can say we’ve pulled off a real coup in signing Efe for the next two years.

“There was other interest in him but his family want to stay in Scotland. He’s just had a baby boy so there were personal reasons as well.”

He added to the Edinburgh Evening News: “We are getting him at a good age, good experience, good record. He’s won trophies already. That’s good business – a quality player at the right time of his career.”

15. apevrak

Good luck, Efe. Shame that his abysmal performance against Juve will be the first that pops up in my head when his name comes up. After that he became a scape goat and got a lot of stick, some deserved some not. He never really complained in the media or showed bad attitude on the pitch despite little game time at the end of his career here and I applaud him for that. He's a good man and a team player and I wish him all the best.

16. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
  17. KingArtur'1

See how efe does against our front line now.

18. BrownsGhirl8

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing/This Land Is Your Land/YNWA
    All the best Efe! Hope he does well for Lenny and Hibs :shamrock:

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Do we get a development fee?

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC can confirm that Efe Ambrose has joined newly promoted Scottish Premiership side Hibernian on a two-year deal.

The defender made 169 appearances for the Bhoys, scoring six times, since joining the club from FC Ashdod in 2012. In that time, he helped the Hoops lift four league titles, one Scottish Cup and one League Cup.

In his first season in Paradise, the Nigerian internationalist was part of the side that memorably beat Barcelona and reached the UEFA Champions League last 16.

Everyone at Celtic would like to wish Efe all the best in his future career at Easter Road.

Efe Ambrose’s deal to join Hibernian has now been formally completed.

The Nigerian international, 28, has joined the Club on a two-year deal following a successful short-term loan from Celtic towards the end of the 2016/17 season, where he played twelve times.

The defender, who can operate at centre-back and right-back, required an endorsement from the Scottish Football Association and a Visa prior to his deal being wholly ratified, and the Club are delighted that this has been achieved.

Hibernian Chief Executive Leeann Dempster said of the deal: “Efe is a player of real quality, and one who excited the fans when he arrived on a short-term deal. The Club as a whole are delighted to be bringing in a player with his quality and experience.

“Neil was really keen to get Efe over the line, and we’re delighted to have been able to achieve that.

“Bringing in a player like Efe is a coup and the supporters played their part. We now have over 11,300 season ticket holders, this is the sort of backing that helps us to bring in players with his quality as we prepare for the season ahead.”

Efe joins Simon Murray and Danny Swanson as signings made by Neil Lennon as he prepares his squad for the forthcoming Ladbrokes Premiership season.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017