1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does stopping the game for V.A.R. disrupt the game or do you welcome it?

Discussion in 'World Football' started by moravcik1888, Jun 16, 2018.

Discuss Does stopping the game for V.A.R. disrupt the game or do you welcome it? in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    My biggest issue so far with it is time management. There is no way the refs are adjusting the time added on accordingly after a var review. It's criminally obvious its eating time from the game. The Sweden decision was correct. I'm not convinced they got the French one right & I'm probably well in the minority but I think the Peru one was debatable too, looked like he placed his foot in a deliberate motion to make contact.

Time-keeping is also a massive problem in the game right now. I think a independent time keeper is needed, stopping the clock after every goal until the following kick off, the same for injuries or substitutions and maybe stop it for kick outs & corners.
    Any game now in second half stoppage time has the winning team feign injury or imply outrageous delying tactics that are not being addressed properly. Games are closer to 55 mins rather than 90 these days.

Cena, Murph-E and ourdaywillcome! like this.
  2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    So it works some times.

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

As I initially said, in reply to you, there may/will be occasions when it'll still be debatable however, now that I have looked at the French penalty, imo, that was correct as well as the Swedish one so it is working.
    It/they did miss Kane getting pulled but that's fair enough :giggle1:

4. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it's great, nowhere near perfected but it's going to take time to get it right. There's a lot of things needing worked on but it's a step in the right direction.

Also agree with the point about an individual timekeeper, because definitely a lot of time being lost.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Only really annoying thing is the commentators constantly talking about it

6. Moros

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mohamed Bangura.
    Don't like it at all. Takes away the human aspect and I think mistakes should be a part of the game. You're either going to end up with penalties in nearly every game, or a squeaky clean game, with players terrified to make a wrong move because they know VAR is there.

Makes the game more boring for me. And although it will lessen mistakes, it will still be misused and referees will still get things wrong so the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

A * betting wise as well although I realise it can work in your favour, but had -2 Belgium on the asian handicap yesterday so was quite chuffed when Lukaku headed that goal, then the next minute they're talking about VAR and reviewing the goal and although the goal still stood it's still a bit of a *.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The Griezmann one?

Clear penalty.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  8. HailHoopy

I'm liking it.

In the future we could change the name of the honest mistakes thread to "watched the incident back a couple of times, saw there was clear contact on the Celtic player and still didn't give it, cheating mason * thread" :34:

MagicBallBhoy and ruzzle76 like this.
  9. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

have you not noticed that stuff happens in the box and the ref doesnt go to the var or the var doesnt tell him theres something to look at ???

that tells me a lot and i think that * will continue when were playing in europe and our player gets pulled down in the box by the juventus player, ref will wave play on the var should tell him theres something to look at and he either will ignore it or the var refs will be told to let it go

ive absolutely no faith in officals or var being implemented fairly in the international big competitions when big or richer teams, bigger leagues, bigger fan and tv audiences are at stake

the official will go with the bigger side 90% of the time, this var * aint gonna change it and if the wee team gets the decision then the bigger team will play for var decisions until they get it back

this technology lark coming into the game is all designed for the richer leagues and teams its to help them keep superiority over smaller less favoured sides

did you see england last night going on about why wasnt var used whats the point of var if it isnt going to be used

there already on the bandwagon even though they have really talented players and a huge population and pool of players to choose from but they want the technology to make it even more so they get the result

am i making sense lol or am i aff my nut pmsl

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw. You are right here. Anybody that think's VAR is going to make footballer fairer in these instances is naive in the extreme. All I will say is don't come crying on here when we get cheated out of a perfectly good goal in Spain or Italy.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Don't like it..

Must be Italian VAR official's as they've let constant holding in boxes go at set pieces. It's been blatant from the first day all the way through so far..

Seem to be seeing referees almost neglect their job and instincts and expect VAR to bail them out. These guy's upstairs seem poor to me, unless it's the most obvious of decisions the ref doesn't see..

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah I get where you're coming from with the "italian ref" thing. Brings back memories of the last 16 Champions League Celtic v Juventus game in 2013. Ive never been so infuriated as when I was watching the Juventus players continually wrestling Celtic players to the ground at corner kicks which went completely unpunished by the ref. I know the ref was obviously not Italian but its clearly a tactic used by Italian players. Celtic have had some horrendous decisions against them but the was the most raging Ive ever been with referee, couldn't believe they were allowed to get away it. We should have had at least 5 penalties that night, no exaggeration.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Good breakdown.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The further the Tourny progresses the more I love it.

One of the best uses of it was to correct an incorrectly booked player yesterday, massive pet hate of mine.

15. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I think it's working quite well so far not perfect but it was never going to be and if it stops wanks like Neymar being given penalties for diving like that game earlier on then I'm all for it, obviously with stuff like pulling at corners there will have to be work done but it hasn't had any negative impact on the WC imo.

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    The Mitrovic decision but aye they get some of them right so it is a good thing :giggle1:

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

When var overturned it for being a dive why wasnt neynar booked? Hes a we rat * who even laughed like he'd been caught out cheating an entire country. Hes a we * and hope they get eliminated before the knockouts.

Xatraps likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not going to catch everything otherwise the game would be refereed by robots and computers in the first instance and even then opinions will still play a part.

As a Celtic fan through the 90’s imagine we had this technology? Honest mistakes would have been all but eradicated.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

* would still have gotten away with their bias decisions in the 90's.

That being said, apart from one or two refs and linesman (Madden, McLean ans that wee * Doug Ross who are just blatantly bias) I think the majority of refs in Scotland are simply incompetent - VAR up here would be like a new dawn, and if you want to look at it from a neutral stance, it would massivepy assist the officials up here in making the correct decisions...

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

It's been used very well this tournament, I think surely we can all agree that football is better with it than without it.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.