1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Think We Will Qualify?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Nov 9, 2018.

Discuss Do You Think We Will Qualify? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    German league is one of the strongest in Europe , Leipzig are a top notch team as are Salzburg.

2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    * easy group, I agree.........

:/

3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Our record against German teams in Europe and against salzburg recently would tell you its a hard group

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Heard and read so much about the permutations but, correct me if I’m wrong, we beat Rosenborg then it’s in our own hands against Salzburg?

Based on that assumption, which isn’t a given granted, I’d take a Paradise shoot out with the Austrians.

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I'm still not 100% sure how a head to head works out split three ways mate.

But yeah I think that's right.

Not sure about the following scenario on H2H though

We beat Salzburg but lose to Leipzig
    Salzburg lose to us but beat Leipzig
    Leipzig beat us but lose to Salzburg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:rofl:

Salzburg got the Europa SF last season.

Leipzig got to the QFs after beating Napoli and Zenit in the knockout phase.

There's nothing easy about this group.

7. Cringer67

And the award for most clueless , ridiculous post of the day goes to this guy.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

@AwesomeCaz is a Celtic supporting Liverpool supporter from Milan. He knows his *.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  9. aliceinsound

In fairness I think even the Seville side would have found this group tricky, and I say thay acknowledging salzburg are probably not quite as good as some make out

10. Goggzy60

I have been saying this since we drew both they will help each other out. Only plus could be is Red Bull see Salzburg as the better team and are wanting to fight to win this competition. It might be better for them to get 1 other than 2 teams through altough i can't see why myself .

Murph-E likes this.
  11. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Lol Jesus Christ. The Seville team would have won each home game by 3 goal minimum and got at the very least 2 points away, even accounting for Celtic Perennially atrocious European away form.

Celtic, playing to their potential as a team and club like I said, should be in the CL groups each season and competing for 3rd or 2nd place, let alone struggling in a Europa group.

We are where we are but Rosenberg, and two sister clubs with stadiums, histories and fanbases less than half ours is far from my idea of a difficult continental group.

We’re not talking Milan, Man Utd and Barcelona here - all of whom we’ve beaten in the not too distant past.

12. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    We need to beat Rosenborg. If Salzburg beat Liepzig, we need a win or a draw. If they draw, we need a win. (Both these scenarios also mean Salzburg will have qualified when they play us.

If Liepzig win, we have to knock Salzburg out instead. This means they come to Celtic Park not yet qualified and needing to avoid a 2-0 defeat. This way is much harder but not impossible, so it’s still in our hands. Salzburg aren’t going to let Liepzig win and put their own qualification hopes at stake

13. aliceinsound

Sorry but they were good but not that good, we lost all our away games in CL with Larsson in the team, the Anderlecht side of 2003 and the Rosenburg side of 2001 weren't any better than Leipzig or Salzburg.

Equally Basel, who being the best Swiss could be compared to Salzburg, the best Austrian team knocked us out on away goals in the Seville season, and we lost away to Stuttgart, a German side who it would be reasonable to suggest were similar in quality to Leipzig.

They would qualify I reckon but it would have still been tough for them, both these teams got to the quarter finals of Europa league last year.

To emphasis I do disagree with alot of narrative suggesting we punch above our weight in Europe with results like Thursday, it's a great result but one's we should probably achieve more often. So I do see your point of view but this is still a tough group.

littlekennie and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. dmac

If we beat Rosenberg then we need to beat the Austrians 2-0 to have a better head to head with them but also depends on what happens between the 2 red bull teams in their game

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You’re delusional.

What has Leipzig’s and Salzburg’s history got to do with anything?

Leipzig are a top team in one of the best leagues in the world. They’ve spent £150m on transfers the past few seasons.

Salzburg were EL semi-finalists last season, beating some fantastic teams on the way.

We have a bigger and more illustrious history than Manchester City. Should we be scudding them as well?

16. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Probably not but at least we can focus on the triple treble .

17. GuttleGob

According to transfermarkt, the value of our squad is near half of FC Salzburg, and the value of FC Salzburgs squad is a third of RB Leipzig.

And if Celtic win their last two games, and don't even qualify for the next stage. Celtic will earn in excess of €11.2 million from UEFA and matchday revenue, by playing European Football this season. And that does not include TV money, sponsorship and some other bonuses that UEFA hand out. Money not to be sniffed at.

18. scomur1888

I think TV pool money is in the region of 3.5/4 mil. All in all €15 mil add that to the 19.8mil for dembele and the board are rubbing their hands again.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    You’re a full scale * idiot int ye :56:

20. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

100%

We’re gonnna win it