1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you rate Gary Caldwell as Celtic class

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by maca1983, Apr 15, 2009.

Discuss Do you rate Gary Caldwell as Celtic class in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. maca1983

I thought it might be an idea to start a thread on this to see if people rate Gary Caldwell.

After reading several posts on this site it seems like people love him and think he is a great defender. dont get me wrong hehas changed my opinion recently with some solid performances and towards the end of last season I thought he picked up a bit. But I still dont think he is all that good I think we can do much much better. His distribution is better than Micks but it is still pretty poor , people haver always went on about his passing and yet I dont think its good at all.

I know he was getting stick for his performances at Centre Mid recently and quite fankly as bad as he was I dont blame him in the slightist as he plays where WGS puts him so its the managers fault

Cut a long story short I have almost never rated him and would love to see a differant CB pairing as Mick the Lion is a pasenger at times also

2. bebackman

Fav Celtic Player:
    broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    you will this weekend it will be loovens and caldwell. also best defender in the spl

3. Flik

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott McDonald
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley Song, Artur Boruc Chants
    I was about as anti Caldwell as you could possibly be this time last year. But I'm damned if he hasn't won me over big time this season. Whenever there's a lot of indecisive passing around the back line, it seems to be Heid that breaks it out and up the ground and I just feel like his defending has gotten much better. Celtic class? Not yet... but it may very well be in the post.

4. Tim{e}4ten

Fav Celtic Player:
    ever--john collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    He's a decent CD and the best one we have,,he is awful in CM and wish he would stop being put in there..

5. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I think he is performing brilliantly, and he is a good football playing center half. We had been crying out for one of those recently.

6. DanniGhirl

He's the best CB at the club and even when playing out of position gives his all - that's what I ask for in a Celtic player someone that does not shrink/hide and he certainly doesn't.

Even when he was getting a lot of stick I found myself sticking up for him as he was doing his best while not playing in his natural position.

I think fans are too quick to criticse today - one loose ball by any player and you can hear the moans.

7. sickbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keane, Kamara, Boruc and Hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone, This Land Is Your Land:D

same here, i just hate it when he's in midfield:54: He's done brilliant this season in defence. Might not be Cleitc class yet but if you think how much hes come on since he joined, he will be. I do think we need someone better than McManus next to him though:54:

8. Franz Ferdinand

Cannot count how many times Caldwell has been the best player on the park for Celtic- sure he has a few bad games but otherwise he's solid and plays his socks off.

9. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I'm certain you're at the wind up! If not you're not watching the same games or team I watch.

Caldwell post January 2008 has been one of our most consistent players and is a regular first team pick for that reason. The guy is more often than not solid in the air, has very good positional awareness and his distribution from the back is extremely good.

He's been so good that you'll find a great deal of fans would rate him as one of the challengers for player of the year....not bad for someone you don't rate.

10. Mr Marty™

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady & Samaradonna.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    In my honest opinion i think he is of celtic class, he has matured as a player since joining and when on his game he is a joy to behold,his range of passing can be second to non.

And he is still developing as a professional so yes he is celtic class in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  11. Andybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ice cream and jelly
    he has changed my mind big time over the last year and i think he is celtic class but i also never have rated his passing ability either he just hits it long

id far rather prefer him than mick in our team im not his biggest fan at the moment so if this thread should start about our celtic class defender it should be about mick imo

12. beanybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    didnt rate last season.has been our best cb all season contender for player of the year .

13. DennyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald,Aiden,heid,Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA - LTPS
    yes he is celtic class, he is a solid CB, the best in the country, solid in the air, good distribution, rock in defence, makes the odd run up the pitch, all round great defender, and gets a few goals

14. CELTBOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik/boruc/mcgeady/brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    inter milan/four leaf clover
    great player imo...(sick seeing threads like this)

15. shop

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur
    What the * is the debate here?? He has been one of our best players and possibly our most consistent performer for well over a year now.

He is the BEST centre back in the SPL.

16. Martin

He was dire in his first season with us but has gone on to become our best defender and in contention with Scott Brown for our player of the season so far.

Fair play to him.

17. WEEMAN7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul mcstay, Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf clover, Willie Maley
    Yes he is & will get better as each season goes by.

18. david_trezeguet

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Rock on Rock all
    I will put my hands up i didnt like the guy just couldnt take to him and thought he was a bomb scare in our defence. But fair play to him he has got his head down when loads of celtic fans didnt rate him and now he hardly makes any mistakes and is a great player for us imo well done gaz :notworthy

19. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    Most consistant player this season and rarely puts a foot wrong

20. col_p67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, John Collins
    If he's not of Celtic class, then none of them are. He's one of our most forward-thinking players and he's doing it from defence. Even when he was playing poorly, it's because he was in at right-back and out of position. He's contributed enormously this season and should be held in the same esteem as Scott Brown for how much he's improved.