1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need to adjust our ambitions in Europe?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Dec 6, 2017.

Discuss Do we need to adjust our ambitions in Europe? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The reason we had better players then than we do now is because we could afford to pay for them then and we can’t afford to pay for them now.

aliceinsound likes this.
  2. Sween

I dont disagree. But we can afford better players than we currently have. The reason why we choose not to spend it because there is no need to in order to dominate in scotland.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Clever use of the sale of VVD there to suit your point.

In the last 2 seasons what was our net spend?

4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    What does not is the standard of the SPL has dropped big time in the last decade,in any sport if you are playing opposition you can largely dominate it is difficult to suddenly be thrown against real big guns.What we have to do is keep working at it,really focus on Europe,learn and keep learning.
    Yes work harder than hard at the European scene,we have no given right to do really well,but there is no doubt with the passion of our fans and the size of our club we can do a lot better,remember we did fuckall in Europe from 1980/81 until a certain Martin arrived to sort out the mess,but even he could not get us out the Group Stages of the CL.
    In my view,my view,winning the league is the number one target each season(unless we could win a European Trophy instead:84:) but i actually think if we do drop into the Europa League like this season then reaching the last 8 or more is more important than winning the domestic Cups,because the experience we pick up is vital and to get more and more games to once again have a fantastic home record in Europe.

5. Sween

If I wanted to highlight the point, I would have used 5 year rather than 3 year. I used 3 years as it reached a tidy zero number. The 5 year is probably most useful given these are the year post rangers being liquidated.

Here are the last five years (approx as some buys and sells undisclosed)

2017/2018 to date: 4.5m
    2016/2017: 6m
    2015/2016: (11m)
    2014/2015: (6m)
    2013/2014: (14.5m)

So over the last 2 seasons, net positive 10.5m.

But over the last 5 years negative 21m.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

So we've spent over 10 million net to win the League the last 2 years, in other words.

If we had no need to spend a penny to win the League why are we doing so?

7. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Should try and achieve similar to what Basel do, they've won 8 titles in a row while doing consistently well in europe.

packybhoy likes this.
  8. Sween

Id suggest to qualify for the group stages of the champions league.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You're all over the place here. So we've spent 10.5 million net the last 2 seasons to qualify for the Champions League but we've spent net zero the last 3 to do what?

The reality is your point doesn't exist because a sizeable transfer out skews everything. We've not just chucked it because the Huns don't exist.

10. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Ronny managing to get us knocked out 3 times in 2 years has affected the mindset towards CL qualification a bit i think.
    As long as the champions route is there and we remain seeded throughout like we should it should be an expectation to get to the groups. If brendan is going to the use the excuse of a smaller budget than anderlecht than we have no excuses in the champions route

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    When we compare ourselves to the likes of Basel though or even Anderlecht or Ajax. The main difference is quality players are regularly produced in Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Those teams have it easier than us that their homegrown players are well better than ours just cause the countries they come from. That gives them better players and gets them bigger fees for said players because they are reliable players who have had good National teams for long time.

Like Basel for example have brought in big money for quite a few of their homegrown players Sommer, Kuzmanovic, Rakitic, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Stocker, Embolo.

12. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Yeah it's difficult I suppose we just have to try and balance bringing through young talent of our own like Tierney and being able to scout young talent from abroad like Van Dijk, Wanyama, Dembele, N'tcham and Edouard if he signs permanently, if these guys stay then we have a better team and if they go then get the best possible deal and we move on to try and find new stars.

13. gengar

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    heat of lisbon
    But "afford" is a subjective term. Go look at the club financial statements if you need - the simple reality is we are already budgeted on the assumption of making CL group stages (i.e., if we do not get CL group stage revenue, we would lose money). So while I trust BR and I'd like the board to greenlight more transfers in, I don't begrudge a conservative and risk-averse approach - especially after the disastrous RD era.

14. scootz

Qualifying for the CL isn't an expectation of mine. Even with the 'champions route', qualification for the group stages is still a feat in itself to be proud of.

Thereafter? Not much. I guess it's just to expect that our players and fans are up for the fight and put in a solid shift befitting of the hooped-shirt!

European competition after Xmas is a great achievement - whether its the last 16 of the CL, or the knock-out stages of the Europa Cup.

We are only a 'big club' in relation to our achievements of 50 years ago, and our support. The fans fund the club - that purity is rare in this day and age, so any achievement at European level is worth celebrating. I would hate for our club to become a rich mans toy and for him to 'buy' our way into contention - that's not the Celtic I associate myself with.

15. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Qualifying for the Group Stage is our main goal, anything else after that is a bonus and European football after Christmas is a fantastic achievement no matter how we achievement.

16. oh bhoy

You can talk about financial disparity all you want by the fact remains we Started the season with our defence in complete disarray.we tried to wing it the champions league with players out of position and players who ain't up to it .I don't believe for 1 second we can't do better even within the parameters we chose to spend .its always gonna difficult in the group we got but we could have pushed Bayern a lot closer for that 2nd spot with the right recruitment
    Rodgers has got to get those players who think they are champions league level but ain't replaced and not trying to do it in the 3 or 4 days between qualifying and the end of the transfer window