1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need a Director of Football?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIART, Aug 2, 2014.

Discuss Do we need a Director of Football? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ulsterscot

The club is already paying too much money for non playing staff . A Director of Football would probably mean we would loose P. L. Some may think that was a good thing but the new CEO on reduced pay would have to ensure he and the D O F will have to work within the budget set by D D.

2. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Someone recently liked this post and I completely forgot all about it. Probably wouldn’t be too bad an idea as opposed to sacking Lawwell.

3. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

I think it hasn't happened because lawwell wants all the control and say.

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's exactly what we need. Said this to @Seán Mac D yesterday that we need to separate football and finances, and have a guy on Lawwells level who does the football side.

PL should be nowhere near our football decisions and his financial objectives shouldn't hinder our development on the park.

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I've been against this in the past but I'd say we do at this stage.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It's a good idea and should work only one tiny little problem the ceo still decides the budget the dof works with

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Pablo87 likes this.
  7. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  8. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Lawwell seems the type who likes to micro manage everyone.

I would hate to work for him.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The fans should put pressure on the club for this to happen.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. Darnok

What, so there can be someone else at the club who doesn't get to buy players until the last week of August?

11. Mr. Slippyfist

D.O.F looks to much like D.O.B

So, for that reason, it's a no from me!

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I can see pros and cons for this but as a Club we need to maintain continuity and, when a manager leaves, this would ensure/make it more likely this happens. We also need to make sure that when we rebuild the scouting system that no individual is ever allowed to come in again and stick his mate in charge of this, no matter how popular they are ie rodgers.

This is the main criticism I have of the board, they acted in a (basically) populist manner on this, when being * minded would have been better. They should have said no when rodgers wanted to bring his mate in. Although, tbf, if they had been like that with rodgers then the exact same folk kicking the board now, for allowing this to happen, would have been screaming like * at the board for having said no to rodgers. :87:
    Only real downside I can think of is would this put off a manager.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

As little as a few years ago I’d have said no chance but the way modern football is going, you can’t even get loyalty out of fans of the club employed by the club.

So for that reason and the requirement for sporting continuity then it would be a good idea ONLY if you can get the right guy and tie him down for the mid to long term. Otherwise it’s pointless.

14. SCOTTYBHOY_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team To Play For
    Footballing side is player recruitment should be done by manager and DOF get given a budget have a list of targets etc means the manager can manage and DOF can get the players with input from the manager. This model is prevalent at other clubs and works

Whoflungdung likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

How on earth did clubs manage to sign players before the DoF became such a role???

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

100%

The game has moved on and we haven’t, PL as a pseudo-DOF doesn’t work..

Gyp Rosetti and Seán Mac D like this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're saying, I was never all that keen on a DOF as it always had me thinking about the time Dennis Wise was made one at Newcastle and sacked Sam Allardyce for Kevin Keegan but that's a bad example.

I think for a club like ourselves where the shelf-life of a manager generally isn't more than 4 years it's now important for continuity and succession. Instead of managers coming in and ripping up the whole existing structure of scouts, medical staff, coaches etc. which cause upheaval it makes sense to have an identity of how we want to do things and find a manager who fits into that structure, rather than constant reinvention with some hits (Strachan, Rodgers, Lennon) and some misses (Barnes, Mowbray, Deila)

Under our current structure we generally fund the incoming the manager more in the first year or 2 then the piggy bank gets stashed away towards the end of their tenure, so as not to lumber the new manager with players he doesn't want. The result is constant periods of being under-strength through a lack of funding when it's needed.

I think a DOF with a proper scouting team, medical & conditioning team and coaching team would help us smooth transitions between managers and help us overall.

TIART and Whoflungdung like this.
  18. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    I don't think we need a dof as much as we need the board to stand up and be counted they need to remember we are going for 9 and 10 they need to get the cash out and sort this NOW either back lennon or sack him I know what my choice is but this is getting stupid now there is only 2 weeks left of the transfer window left. They better pull some major of intent off or there will be * to pay as we cannot keep getting treated like this

19. Mr. Slippyfist

I'd get possibly the WANT for a DoF by a manager if say Lawwell were an absolute tyrant and a * to work for (I imagine he is a bit of a pain in the * when it comes to some things, but I don't think he's that much of a * in terms of manager/CEO working relationship)

The manager has his scouting team - the scouting team have meetings with each other to discuss targets, they then have a general meeting with management team to discuss said targets, manager also has a phone number and email address (as well as a computer in his office) to send scout(s) potential areas, style of player, particular target etc he wants them to scout, so there's no blockage in line of communication.

Once delegated member has organised list of targets based on whatever variable they are looking at, most likely manager will have a meeting with Lawwell and whoever else is necessary, present targets and pass on to whoever it is that makes the appropriate approach to said clubs for said players.

Lennon and Lawwell are clearly on speaking terms, so what the * is the point in appointing a middle man to go between management and board? Seriously?

Whoflungdung likes this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

As I said above, if you appoint a manager who tears the whole system up and puts in his own men and then he turns out to be a turkey we're left with not only replacing the manager but his scouts, coaching team, medical staff etc. It then throws the club into chaos trying to replace all of these individuals, let them settle in and get used to their environment & remit and form working relationships with other departments.

We're seeing the effects right now of a scouting system that was ripped up by the rat to put in Congerton who decimated our previous system which was not flawless but far more functional. We signed 2 players in January for £4 million (Bayo & Shved) that don't appear to be in the immediate picture. They weren't signed or fancied (going on the rat's comments) by the outgoing team and haven't yet been given a chance by Lennon, that's an issue. If we're spending that sort of money then I'd expect them to at least be on the peripheries of the squad and challenging for a place.

In that instance a DOF would be signing players that fit within the identity that we've set and any incoming manager would presumably be on board with that style of play and we wouldn't have so many multi-million £ signings sitting on the bench or in the stand doing heehaw.

Gyp Rosetti and TIART like this.