1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need a Director of Football?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIART, Aug 2, 2014.

Discuss Do we need a Director of Football? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Larsson93

You talk some amount of pish! :smiley-laughing002: :smiley-laughing002:

2. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

John Parks official role is Football Development Manager. Pretty much the same thing is it no?

3. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Van Dijk and FF are the only ones DEFINITELY good enough for the CL groups/beyond. Commons just isn't fast enough for Europe. The likes of Mulgrew and Balde are just pure *. Stokes' record in Europe is terrible. Izzy and Lustig used to be good enough but appear to have gone *, hopefully they get their form back, Forrest is made of glass and sadly I see going the same way as Watt. Johansen may be good enough, I hope so, but sadly we won't get to find out this year.

Sorry but we're just not good enough in the majority of positions.

As mentioned only 1 of the numerous staff at the club were actually Deila's choice. Not saying he won't get on with Collins and Kennedy etc, but they weren't his choices and I think that's gotta be a bit of a worry.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

:smiley-laughing002:

You can file that next to "Neuer done nothing last season" in the absolute guff you post on here filing cabinet.

5. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We need some defenders who can actually play fitba..

anyone who is not directly contributing to the team performance week in week out is NOT needed. If we have money to spend then lets spend it on players.

And that should be a managers decision ... not the boards

6. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Manager and Director are different roles.

The Director would sit on the Board, the Development Manager would not.

As far as I'm aware if we had a Director of Football, he would sit on the board and obviously have more weight towards footballing matters.

Peter Lawwell as CEO would not normally sit on the board but if he did he's rendered subordinate to the Chairman.

I think some folk don't quite understand the role of Director of Football. The role isn't solely as a babysitter to an inexperienced manager.

7. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The board are deciding the manager doesn't get to spend. The manager never decides when we spend or how much we spend. (Wouldn't Lennon have loved that situation lol)

Having a Footballing Director will give more expertise at board level on actual footballing matters. Rather than a bunch of financiers who have no expertise in football calling the shots.

8. ulsterscot

If you want to be personnal , it would be better if you PM me.
    I suppose you think you are smart

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Too late now it would seriously undermine our new manager(who is looking at a shaky start to his tenure)would have had to be implemented at the start of Deila's reign...

If you have the right man in charge with a good scouting network that's all you need!

Massive knee jerks going on with posts and threads on this forum.. :shamrock:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. shieldsybhoy

No, because we aren't signing anyone. That's what the DOF position is mainly for.

11. ulsterscot

Our previous experience of Director of Football when John Barnes was Manager didn't exactly work out brilliantly . As far as I can remember one of our all time greats used his position to improve his knowledge of European Golf courses as well as look at a few youngsters from abroad .
    The main problem with Director of Football is although it is popular on the continent, there are very few D O F's in the Uk . I think that we would get it difficult to know and get a good D O F . The Director of Football is a very senior position in a club . Would our board employ one and fully use one and trust him . Would the manager work with and for him .
    We have problems now, getting a D O F would only magnify .

12. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Candyman We love you Celtic (we do)
    According to some we already have one in Peter Lawell.

13. Admiral Browm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Any institution with a financial wizard at the helm will only travel a short journey forward or backwards balancing the financials. That's what we are stagnant! and close to terminal dilapidation.
    We don't have the dynamics on the board to take us forward (fact). Desmond was once a visionary, but you need people to be in there 100hrs a week living it and driving it, not the odd phone call from Monaco.
    Director of football or whatever you call is needed! They have to be a leader, dynamic and must lead all the technical staff I.e Scouts, trainers, managers etc on the correct strategic path as well as being a huge influence over the other board members.
    In my business, I would never bring a chap from a small company and give him the responsibility to manage my bigger company without my micro management of him. That's what his appointment is all about. Lawell being in control of day to day operations.....driven by financials.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    No definitely not. The manager sees the team on the training ground and on the park. It should be the responsibility of the manager to decide on which players to buy who would bring an improvement to the team. We are not falling short on scouting, the money we have brought in from players sales would argue the contrary. We are failing to build on sustaining seasons of progress. We are failing to replace the selling of our better quality players with players of a sufficient calibre.

Directors of football dont always work and often they can deter managers from taking jobs. Tottenham is a prime example of this. Im of the personal oppinion that a director of football is a bad road to go down and its a position that isnt needed within our football club given our already restricted finances.

15. Admiral Browm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Ok, call it something else but the managers, scouts report to the board which is lead by Lawell. I can tell by the boards structure and communications its heavily influenced by non-risk taking Lawell, and that's the strategy. Weather you like it or not, whilst just about every big club and league in Europe is moving forward....were are we? Close to lights out? Why? Lack of vision! SFA, Lawell etc.....all the same type of chaps. On the scouting, whoever scouts for our strikers should be on the bru! The worst set of strikers that we have ever had in our history and that includes the days of Cascarino and Payton.....the current lot couldn't lace their boots.

16. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Both arguments have very decent points, although I'm more persuaded by the pro-DOF. Our current system is not working, it leans way too much to the financial side. Not only that, there is no top level expertise on making those strategic footballing decisions.

I don't believe we should throw caution to the wind regarding our bank balance. Utilizing the finances we are allowed more astutely is something only a Director with a Footballing brain could do.

I agree, it is a position that would require a very experienced individual with experience at board level.

Not to throw a spanner on my own argument here, but at the end of the day, would Lawwell want a guy in there making his financial strategies more complex?

Only he would know that. Every second he is that position tho with our current structure, he is prioritizing finances so much, its detrimental to the reason we are all in this.

Football!

99% Business - 1% Football - Peter Lawwell

Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im of the oppinion that too many cooks spoil the broth. A manager should be entrusted with taking the team forward in the way he envisages. If a manager is the one who spends all the time on the training ground, who is solely responsible for choosing the starting XI, who makes the substitutions and whose job is ultimitley decided by the way his squad performs, then how can a director of football possibly be of benefit to him?

The problem, in my oppinion, lies in the lack of significant reinvestment. If we take profits then the board should actively look to reinvest a percentage of that money back into the team.. (40,50% of the profit?)

I just think that lessons must be learned from past examples..

Avram Grant as DOF at Chealsea when Mourinho left.. Damian Commoli at Liverpool.. Frank Arnesen and Franco Baldnin at Tottenham.. It was all a mess.

If you dont trust in the manager, then why is he in charge?

18. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The fact remains, the DIRECTion so far has resulted in a reduction in quality on the park with no improvement on the horizon.

A change is a must.

19. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :shamrock: 100 :shamrock:

20. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

I'd like to see one in the future if I'm being honest. I think it could be extremely beneficially to everyone involved with the club. However for the moment I don't think we should appoint one just for the sake of it, this is a discussion for the end of the season imo.

Lilac Wine likes this.