1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Cross Platform] Dirt Rally

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Vinnie BBQ, Apr 14, 2016.

Discuss Dirt Rally in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Just started playing this on the ps4. Done some random racing this far. Quite hard to finish a stage without damage or flying off the track for me, but it's plays, feels, sounds and looks great.

Just about to start off my career with the Lancia Fulvia HF.

A bit disappointed about the amount of locations though, plus the presentation and looks (menus/intros/career presentation etc.) could be a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Getting the hang of it. Which means not crashing my slow 60's rally car until the finish. :icon_mrgreen:

3. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

[​IMG]

:52: no one's interested. :smiley-laughing002:

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I said in the racing thread I got it and no one was interested either :smiley-laughing002: not played much but loved it so far with the graphics, finding it hard to get used to controlling the cars though since I'm use to playing forza but I'll get there. Awesome game so far and think there will probably be DLC's for it down the line with more tracks.

5. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

You play it on console or pc? Having quite a hard time controlling the (faster)cars myself, but played the sebastien loeb rally demo a while ago and although hard it feels like you can so much easier to control your car than that demo with controls that seem to response half a second late every time you touch them.

6. Bunk Moreland

Not sure about DLC for it, it's already had content added to it since it first arrived on PC on Steam early access, plus Codemasters never seem to release much for their racing games, F1, Grid and the old Dirt games maybe had a few cars between them.

As for this game I'm definitely going to get it after I've finished all the Driveclub DLC and Driveclub Bikes.

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

On the console mate, aye had a look at the reviews for the Loeb rally game and they were awful so avoided it. Definitely a game you can't just pick up and play, which is good as well since it makes you play more to get better and understand how to play it better.

8. Bunk Moreland

Been playing quite a bit of it recently (up to Elite championships in both Rally and Rally X) The cars don't handle like real cars at all, there's no weight to them. The handling is far too twitchy even after adjusting the settings and coupled with the seemingly weightless cars it feels arcade like, or more precisely a difficult arcade game.

Real cars are * heavy, rally drivers make them slide around because they manipulate them to do that, shifting the weight and exploiting the load or lack of load put on the tyres and suspension no matter what the surface is. In this game if you change direction the car acts like it's driving on tyres made of glass. Scrape the banking and the car either spins around like a waltzer or flips uncontrollably 10 times like a sheet of paper in a gale force wind.

As a game it's okay at best, graphics are passable, sounds are excellent, driving is fun, but as a simulation it's miles away. To be honest Gran Turismo does rally physics better as cars actually act like cars. Disappointing from Codemasters.

9. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Oh you mean those cars you can crash full speed into a wall and take advantage of that in corners?

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  10. Bunk Moreland

Doesn't matter, they still handle more like real cars than Dirt Rally. Gran Turismo isn't a sim, its never really claimed to be a racing sim, it's a racing game with sim based physics.

Like I said it's a good enough game but definitely not a rally sim as far as car handling goes.

11. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

That's fine, I disagree. :50:

12. rory_90

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Picked this up on the PSN store yesterday as it was only 15 quid. Used to buy the WRC games religiously on PS2/PS3 but haven't picked anything up since then.

Still downloading so have only been able to play a couple of the initiation stages but seems promising so far, if not incredibly difficult. I'm no bad at racing games so imagine I'll get used to it quickly enough though.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  13. Bunk Moreland

My dodgy driving :56:

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  14. Stefan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hartson, Nakamura, Larsson, Petrov, TIerney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA & Fields of Athenry
    Do you play the game with wheel or gamepad?
    I have it for PS4 and I love the game but it's so hard to play it with the ps4 gamepad.
    I drive with all stability systems off because it's hard to take turns with ABS + Stability on.
    Any tips on car settings? I always make the car lower but don't know if it helps. Just feeling the car more stable.

15. Bunk Moreland

Usually play it with the pad and the assists off and manual gears, the assists are fairly useless in the game.

The car will be slightly more stable if it's lower but because of the bumps it's not really a good idea on most tracks.

Germany and Monte Carlo are generally good tracks for a low and stiff suspension setup, you really want the car to handle like a race car on them rather than a rally car, RWD cars are a better option for them although you have to be careful on the icy parts of Monte Carlo.

Because of the diversity in the cars it's difficult to give setup advice as they act so differently. Generally what I've found is that a RWD car needs tightened up to reduce body roll and you might want to have a stronger differential if its wanting to go * first around corners.

FWD cars usually need loosened up a bit to encourage body roll as they generally want to understeer, so softer suspension and maybe higher ride height.

4WD cars can act either way so you can change its setup depending on if it understeers like a FWD or oversteers like a RWD car. You can also change its torque distribution making it act more like one of the above, higher at the rear axle to encourage throttle oversteer or vice versa.

16. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

I got frustrated with it and chucked it. Thought it was quite difficult too.m and I've always been good at rally games. Odd, thought I would have liked it too. It's also 10X better than WRC which was truely awful

17. Bunk Moreland

Dirt 4 is out in June so you can expect it to be a lot more forgiving

ScouseHoops likes this.
  18. Bunk Moreland

A few more of my vids.

VW Polo - Handles really well, can easily get it to slide around corners.

Seat Ibiza - Understeers like a pig, typical of a FWD car, had to keep lifting off just to get it round corners.

Lancia Delta - Handles well on the solid surface, kept having to use the handbrake to destabilize the car in the tighter corners.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  19. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Game looks great in the dark.

20. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Arent they going with the ability to switch between Simulation mode and a more easy playing, pick up and play type option? Clever that.