1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Defensively he is streets ahead of Ambrose.

However we need to improve on him and I'm concerned at how highly Rodgers rates him.

Artorias likes this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He's the anti Efe

Pretty much everything Efe was good at, dribbling, passing, composure Boyata isn't but everyting Boyata is good at heading, tackling, marking, basically anything to do with defending Efe was poor at.

Boyata has only ever sold goals by mis controling or giving the ball away, pretty much never from actually being caught out defensively. Where as Efe never gave a goal away from being poor on the ball he always sold goals by weak defending.

3. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Boyata is turning into a Samaras type player for me, some games he's outstanding and others he's diabolical.
    Can't go wrong with him signing a new deal right enough as it will boost his resale value.

4. Seosamh Máirtín

Naw. There's something to be said for selling players that are good for the first team and want to move, but no point risking our success on the back's of big diddies who are gonna cost us.

5. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Naw wit?

6. thetic19

no hard to be streets ahead of Ambrose TBH, the guy is a diddy and needs to get punted dont care if he trys hes pish and costs us goals

Artorias and Seosamh Máirtín like this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It isn't, no, was just saying in reply to comments above discussing Ambrose.

If we didn't have to rely on Boyata so much on the ball, we'd probably be ok. Most of his mistakes come from poor passing, slips in concentration when on it, really stupid stuff. It is hugely frustrating.

Otherwise he is fast, good in the air, strong and knows how to tackle.

emmetf, brads-bhoy1888 and thetic19 like this.
  8. thetic19

fair enough problem is though when he does * up it normally costs us a goal or nearly costs us a goal, i just want someone better a couple of good experienced defenders at our club for the first time in years, the last good defender we had was Van Dijk

9. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    His biggest problem is consistency,he is good WHEN he turns up.

But he has so many stupid * mistakes in him,thats the enfuriating part about him.

emmetf and Bertie Cauld like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Nah I completely agree, don't get me wrong.

I'd rather we don't sign him up but at the same time, it will allow us to get a better fee if he is punted. I'm worried about BR's plans for the defence if he is given a new 4 year deal though.

thetic19 likes this.
  11. Seosamh Máirtín

He's a liability. Maybe you need another season's worth of matches for you to gain some enlightenment, but I don't. Hopefully we get a bid to push our hand.

12. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Where did I say he wasn't a liability?
    It's common sense that a player with more years left in his contract goes for more money that's why it wouldn't be the end of the world if he signed a contract.
    I've already stated numerous times in this thread that I felt he wasn't good enough, calm your jets.

13. Seosamh Máirtín

I'm sorry 'naw wit' isn't going to get you anything but a presumption on a lack of knowledge if your not prepared to bring anything to the discussion. I shouldn't need to look through your previous posts to know your feeling on the matter.

And the question shouldn't be when we sell him, it's now. ASAP.

14. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    When you replied the first sentence was 'Naw' which was clearly being wide. Should I assume that you posess a lack of knowledge? Get a grip.

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    While Boyata is no Marc Repier or Paul Elliott at the back he is a good defender and I think some of us need to remember we play 60 odd games a season at the moment and injuries and suspensions take a toll. We need at least 4 senior center backs that we can play and count on Boyata is easily in that category for me. I would be happy to see him sign a new deal personally.

16. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Not keen, one day he looks like Paul Elliott but most other days hes like EFE

17. LloydsGamble

I'm happy to keep him. If he can get refocused and back to his Jan '17 and onward form we have a good player.

He does need to be really solid for a while with no daft mistakes to win back the trust of a lot of fans clearly, we'll see if he's up to it. Be interesting to see how much he's involved in the world cup.

Saying that, I'd still prefer an experienced european-class CB to partner Ajer, but we know Brendan rates him highly, so it seems likely he'll be first choice if he re-signs. And at this stage of his career, trying to establish himself as a consistent Belgium international, I can't seem him signing up if he's not been assured he'll keep his place.

Jordan MacGregor likes this.
  18. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Not been funny but if anybody is actually happy that this * could be one of our centre halfs in champions league next season you need your head looking at. He is good on his day, but his day isnt often enough and he makes more than enough high profile mistakes to destroy any currency he holds. I like @Mr Shelby am concerned at how highly Rodgers rates him because he's a bomb scare

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Too many 'ifs' with him though. That's the glaring problem.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Id actually be worried to lose him before the CL qualifiers, I think he's our only CB who actually defends really well. If we had to go into CL qualifiers with Ajer and Jozo or Ajer and Sviatchenko or Ajer and Lustig or Ajer and Bitton then we'd have two guys partnering each other aren't that clever defensively and have a lot of weaknesses between them. They could get dragged around and be open from crosses and cutbacks just cause their positioning and reading of the play isn't as natural and sharp as Boyata they are also all worse in the air than him.

With Boyata he makes a dreadful mistake now and again but his allround defending is a level or two above the rest and he's dominant in the air and a goal threat.

I can see why people don't like him as he has made a good 6/7 blunders some of which have cost us goals but he is a good defender who can pretty much always be relied upon to defend.

You could probably argue he prevents more goals than he causes, thats maybe what Rodgers thinks as well. Jozo lets balls bounce, he can get too tight and get turned hes got ok pace but not Boyata level, Jozo dives into to a lot of tackles as well where you think hes a bawhair away from getting sent off. Ajer is slow on the turn and he's probably less of a natural defender than Jozo and Erik he does let people in behind him and doesnt seem to naturally spot guys running round him into space - he might become good but as of now he is the weaker of our 4 centre-backs and one most likely to get done for goals. Svuatchenko is too small and the slowest of our centre-backs, the way we play where overall we are pretty poor in the air we cant afford to have a centre-back who is poor in the air and then hes probably too slow for how open we leave our defence. Ajer, Jozo and Bitton are about quick enough not to be too weak but Boyata is really the only one who can deal with guys dragging him out wide or getting in behind him pretty easily.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    LloydsGamble likes this.