1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I know he divides opinion on here but I just don't have confidence with us going into Europe again with him in our backline. He is too unreliable and he's proven he can't be trusted with his poor concentration.

bhoy81 and Mr Shelby like this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I actually trust him more than all our other centre-backs, he's a really strong player defensively who I always feel never really gets bothered by anyone especially domestically. His positioning is usually always spot on, he is about as solid as the come in the air, nobody ever really gets turning him or running away from him.

His mistakes are usually all involving him being on the ball but even then they are a bit blown out of proportion and not that common, he makes about 1 every 10 games or so.

I'd actually class him as probably the 3rd best centre-back we've had in the last 13 year after Van Dijk and Denayer. Mulgrew was a really good ball player but defensively average, Caldwell like a poor mans Mulgrew, McManus was defensively average and poor on the ball, Loovens was poor defensively and poor on the ball, Majstorovic was decent defensively but slow as * and poor on the ball. Kelvin Wilson was good defensively, poor in the air and average on the ball. Ambrose was good on the ball but couldn't defend, Simunovic is average defensively and average on the ball, Ajer is average defensively and quite good on the ball.

If I was ranking them i'd probably go Van Dijk > Denayer > Boyata > Wilson > Mulgrew > Ajer as our best since O'Neill.

If someone is overall really good defensively i'd forgive them the odd mistake unless it was barrowloads. Because it's probably better than to have someone not defensively as good who doesn't make as blatant a mistakes.

brads-bhoy1888 and LloydsGamble like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

When you look at that list of centre backs, it's crazy how poor we've been in that area over the last number of years. Van Dijk is obviously class, Denayer was very good but only a loan.

After that...

4. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

He’s nae Joos Hooiveld.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

6. Orsenfelt

He looks much more comfortable on the right of Ajer, rather than outside left in a back 3. If we can curb his wanders up the pitch, make him happy being the traditional center half with Ajer having the freedom (and find a decent right back + second left back), we'll be doing well.

Even if we bring in better I'd be quite comfortable with 4 center halfs of New/Boyata + Ajer/Hendry

Jozo I think is obviously not rated by Rodgers and his * knees stop him playing on half the plastic * in our league anyway, waste of a wage.

7. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good news.

10. Seosamh Máirtín

Away to *. Please.

I'd let him go on a free. Don't even care if we get a transfer fee. He is gash.

11. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Excellent player on his day, odd slip but goalies and defenders seem to be under the spotlight more than most. Belgian international, only * player in the team who can score with his head from set pieces. Must keep.

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hope he signs a long term deal.

Actually like him as a cb :giggle1:

13. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He makes Efe look like a world class player.

Thommo92 and Seosamh Máirtín like this.
  14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Weekend started early? Put the Buckfast down! :101:

15. Seosamh Máirtín

He's like a less skillful Efe. His concentration levels are about the same and his determination levels are similarly abysmal...then you throw in the poor first touch, the poor decision making to pick out the next pass, and your right up * creek without a paddle.

Welcome to Celtic: How not to Defend 101

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He can cope domestically, but in Europe time and time again he has been found out. He really struggled against all 4 teams we played post qualifiers. If he was saddled up next to a quality defender it probably wouldn't get noticed but him and Simunovic really showed each other up as neither could make up for the others mistakes. For the £1.5m spend, I would say he has done well but we need to get better. If we could get £2m for him then sell and invest £6m plus in a CB to work with Ajer and Hendry.

17. brads-bhoy1888

Good news if he gets a new deal. Good player on his day, deserves a new deal. Not to mention he gives 100% for the jersey

18. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed, not as good (I use it lightly) technically as Efe.

Disagree on the concentration and determination levels. Concentration wise, he is above Efe, doesn't half as many howlers in him.

Determination? Dont know what defines this, but he's pretty determined in the sense that he wins most of his duels when it comes to physical contests. Brendan also obviously likes what he does in training, that must count as determination.

All of this I will agree with, it can be poor at times.

One thing I will say about Boyata though is that when the ball is whipped into the box, I'm confident he will get his head on it. He has a real knack for getting something on crosses or shots in and around the box.

One of those defenders who is better when he doesn't have much time to react. Crucial headed clearances all 90 long and then when he has a bit of time he'll be dispossessed or lapse concentration.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He’s miles better than Efe.

emmetf and ILoveTheCeltic like this.
  20. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Getting so irrationally angry at some of these comments. The guy is an absolute diddy and if he’s starting CL games next season then there’s no point in * watching. Sviatchenko was never forgiven after his ibrox horror show yet Boyata hasn’t even been close to being dropped since his.

“Good on his day” so is any player, that’s what “on his day” means. It’s not a good thing. All it means is that he is inconsistent. He takes 4 months to recover from an injury, plays like * for months while he remembers how to play football, then finally looks half decent while he’s not firing passes into players shins at 100 mph, and suddenly it’s “Aye he’s no that bad sign him up”. We finally have a chance to get shot of this * this summer and actually improve our defence. Get it done.