1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadline day disappointment

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 30, 2016.

Discuss Deadline day disappointment in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We won the whole thing once in a "previous incarnation", so by that logic would you say that "based on that previous reality", Broony might be lifting the big cup next May? :97:

Come on, mate. Think about what you are saying here. There are like 2 players left from that team that beat Barça.

2. doctor venglos

Not many people would have expected Leicester to win the EPL last year, there's that expectations again RR.

Who knows what we are capable of achieving this year with the right preparation, planning, team spirit and effort ?

All I'm saying is with the correct mindset and application there is every reason to think we could win all three home game like John Hartson says under this current management.Those are perfectly reasonable expectations to have going into those games.

Now RR, if you had asked me the same question lat year under the previous management, it would have been relevant, because the team spirit collapsed under the alleged dressing room revolt that ultimately led to the manager leaving.

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There's a reason why the Leicester thing was such a big deal, mate. Stuff like that literally happens once in a lifetime.

So, I'm a bit confused as to what your argument is here. Which particular non sequitur are you basing your expectations on, that we can qualify because an almost completely different Celtic team with more quality players did so 4 years ago or that we can qualify because a team with an extra zero in their budget relative to us beat the odds to win the EPL last year?

4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    And one of them is Ambrose :smiley-laughing002:

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This is a different Ambrose. After winning the ACON, Efe decided to retire to devote himself to drugs and women and so sent his twin brother (who had never played football in his life but is a talented track and field athlete) back to his family in Glasgow. We paid the painful consequences, but apparently his wife and kids are happy as he is a much better lover with the former and a much better father to the latter. On the plus side, we've been treated to some of Taiwo Ambrose's (his real name) trademark acrobatics. Swings and roundabouts.

Meanwhile Efe himself was killed in a drugs bust in his Lagos mansion in April 2013. :54:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016
  6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :56: :shamrock:

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Venglos, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so dismissive of your posts. I think I understand what you were saying now: that without that positive attitude of "why the * not?" in the face of skepticism from outside, we'd never have qualified for the last 16 (beating Barcelona along the way) 4 years ago and Leicester would never have won the EPL last year and that therefore we need to adopt the same attitude and belief. Is that right?

That's a fair point. I think by taking that attitude, you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment, mate; but nothing is completely impossible and you are right that attitude gives us the best possible (albeit still small) chance.

It's also worth noting that players can definitely feel both belief and fear from the stands. The worse example of the latter affecting their performance being Maribor IMO.

Sorry for being a *.

8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Absolute madness

9. doctor venglos

I don't think you were being dismissive RR, you were just being RR :smiley-laughing002: inquisitive, cerebral and analytical.:icon_mrgreen:
    No need to apologise .And yes it is that derring do attitude that I am referring too.I don't see it as setting yourself up for a disappointment, but rather setting yourself up to exceed your expectations, so if you do fall short, you have still reached your expectation level at least, if you follow me.

Not madness.Win your three home games and you get nine points. Anything less than a total of six points will be a complete failure.I'm talking about the complete fixture list games.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's still madness to say 3, 4, or 5 points is a failure though, especially when it could still take us into the Europa. We have no right to be winning our home games when the gulf in quality of the starting 11's is as vast as us and the other 3 teams. This team is untested at this level, and didn't win a game in the EL groups.

For me, the season is already a success for qualifying in the first place, especially under a new manager as others have struggled in the their first season. To call the players a failure for not beating one of Barcelona or Man City just because it's at home is insane.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If we managed to get into the Europa in this group that'd be a massive success.

12. murphy88

It's the first time ever in a Group where I fear we could finish with 0 points. We arguably got the three best teams from each pot.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not the first I've had that fear mate but think this is up there with our hardest ever groups.

Milan, Benfica and Shaktar I can remember being petrified of and we got through to the last 16.

14. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

We've had tough groups before and been fine, let's just see how we get on before we decide what is/isn't a failure.

15. murphy88

I'm usually optimistic, so in the past I've always thought we could take points off anyone at home. I think though over the past few years and teams coming to Parkhead and turning us over has made me nervous about this Group. I know we are a different side under Rodgers, but I think it's only natural to be worried about the teams we are going to face given that much lesser teams have beaten us at home in recent times.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Very true mate :50:

17. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

How many teams have beaten us at home in the Champions League, though?

Normally if we've been good enough to get there, we've been good enough to compete. Even in the seasons we've bombed out, we've done well in the home matches. Even in our last campaign, which was a bit of a disaster, we still managed to beat Ajax at home.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think the main issue this time is all 3 of the other sides in the Group are superior to Ajax.

If we were to win any of the 6 games we will be doing very well IMO. We will be vast under dogs in every single match, including the Germans at Parkhead.

19. murphy88

Why just include the Champions League games though? What about the teams in the Europa that have come and beaten us at Parkhead also.

20. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Eron

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016