1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome back Darren O'Dea

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ulsterscot, Sep 8, 2014.

Discuss Welcome back Darren O'Dea in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'd take you over Blackett...

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    :smiley-laughing002::rolleyes::smiley-laughing002:

Buckled.

3. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

If there was NO ONE else available then I'd take him back.

4. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We could do a lot worse.

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He would be better back up than Ambrose or Blackett.

6. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'd take him up the Brownett.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    O'Dea is 28 now. He should be in his prime career years over the next few seasons. Another reason to give him a short term contract till the end of the season next month and see how he looks now.

8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Even putting blackett in the same level as ambrose is an insult to ambrose. That display by blackett was the worse iv ever seen. A sub getting subbed. I'd rather ambrose with some fight in him than a watered down piece of pish that's going to end up playing in the 8th tier of English football. We should cancel his loan.

9. murphy88

We could and should be doing a lot better as well though. We have enough bang average centre halfs in the squad, there is no point adding another. It's quality we need, not quantity.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I've always thought we should have a couple of guys like him around, people that would be happy not playing and stepping in when needed and knows the club inside out. Knows what is expected. Good to have around the dressing room, has stepped up to the plate in big games for us before and is passionate about the club.

If we had Boyata, Simunovic, Mulgrew and O'Dea as our centre back options I wouldn't be overly complaining. Just guys who know the job that's required who can step in.

Fergie used to do it with average players at Man United but it made it a good squad and one that always knew what was expected, with guys like John O'Shea and Wes Brown. Of course it'd also stop us wasting money on nonsense like Ambrose and Blackett.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I sort of half agree with both Murp and Dev here..

Is someone like O'Dea the answer? I'm not convinced..

Apart from the obvious of lacking understanding/continuity, belief/confidence and leadership....we also lack character at the back. Having someone in at the heart of the defence would certainly do no harm in making up for all of the above, even if the qualities we've had over the last year or so, were not..

I hope it's down to a mix of those above why we're not clicking....even big laid back characters like Virgil would be screaming order's out at the back. We seem to be shipping goals and all four (and the goalie) seem to have mastered the "Blackett is it me" stare, or is it the Efe stare?

Think we'd all love a big Mick no nonsense in of a few year's ago, right now..

12. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.

If the board believe that Oh Dear is the answer then i have absolutely no faith in the club.

I just cannot see a valid reason for bringing him in.

13. JoeDan67

I drink a lot so my memory might be failing me, but I don't remember O'Dea ever letting us down at CB. He had at least one -possibly more- bad performance as a full back.

I also remember him- at least I think it was him- being brought back from loan to CAPTAIN the team, then being ditched again.

I'm not sure he was given a fair crack of the whip at Celtic and would be happy to see him back.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Ok mate..

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It's the character I'm talking about, I'm definitely not talking first team but in around the squad and stepping in when called upon. We know he has big performances behind him, was outstanding in the league cup final against Rangers and was excellent in the San Siro in the last 16. Kept a cleansheet against a very good team over 90 minutes.

Other than that, he'd be willing to be a squad player and he knows exactly what is required at the club. Having those characters around the dressing room builds the mentality of the squad for me. A good few players who know exactly what's needed and who can stand in when required.

Kinda thing I'm hoping Carlton Cole can be up front as well, he's experienced enough and has been in a winning dressing room at Chelsea, a very mentally strong dressing room.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I have no gripes about having Celtic men in around the "squad"(we do lack it, with Lenny we also had Paddy/Mark Wilson/Sammy and Ledley amongst other's and the obvious Broony who knew what this place meant and were characters on or off the pitch), who know first hand what it's all about either. Ideally if this were to happen, i'd punt Blackett and Ambrose and get in a defender as well as O'Dea... Leaving 4 vying for 2 spots and capable other's..

Was it no O'Dea taking his position (at the club) for granted in the first place? If that makes sense..

I dunno, I do like in general where we've went in regards to our transfer policy (not always mind) but we do lack that character. It's why it was good to see it from Commons in Norway..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:

I think he thought he needed game time if he was going to develop, never wanted to leave Celtic as such but needed to for his career. Agree with the rest.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I'll give the big man his dues, he's went all over the place to settle with his family since leaving us..

Think his missus is Scottish. I'm surprised no one in Scotland has snapped him up, even a Hibs..

19. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Fixed

20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Signed for Dundee til the end of the season. He'll go straight in for McPake.