1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil on Netflix

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Officer Doofy, Apr 9, 2015.

Discuss Daredevil on Netflix in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dallas Cowbhoys

Seen episode 1 and most of episode 2 last night, looks good

I like the main guy in it, although his partner is annoying me a bit

Jessica is good as well

2. Moustache

Finished the series early this morning and it was great. The acting was really good, Charlie * and Vincent D'Onofrio in particular were great in their respective roles (the latter was pretty much born to play the character). There was a bit of dodgy acting early on from supporting characters (the guy playing Foggy mainly) but by the end everyone was pulling their weight.

The series as a whole does a good job of blending the drama, action and comedy (I know a lot people complain about Marvel movies being too quippy but the humour here feels very natural). It's weird watching it and thinking that's it set in the same universe as something like the Guardians of the Galaxy or the Avengers (there's a few references to them throughout) but it's handled really well.

The overall series, despite being titled Daredevil, was as much a Kingpin origin story (for the lack of a better term) as it is for the titular character. One of the best things about the series is watching both of the characters story progress and seeing how they almost mirror each other in a way. By the end of the whole thing I was just as interested in the Kingpin as I was Daredevil, something that the writers should deserve a lot of credit for.

There was quite a bit of foreshadowing for the other series they're doing (Iron Fist mainly) so It'll be interesting to see how the other 3 shows (4 if you count the team up series) pan out. The only downside of all this is that we'll probably have to wait a couple of years for another solo Daredevil series.

I'm not sure if I could pick out a favourite episode but for a quick, spoiler free rundown of what I'd say are the top episodes...

Episode 2 has a really great fight scene (that was filmed entirely in one continuous shot) that really drives home the fact that Daredevil is essentially just a guy in a mask.

Episode 4 features, hands down, one of the most brutal scenes I've ever seen in a TV show. If you have any doubts whatsoever about how violent/dark Marvel are willing to make these series, watch the last ten or so minutes of this episode.

Episode 8 is a really good character episode, I won't got into much detail,mbut it's an interesting episode story wise.

Episode 10 is quite slow, but if you're interested in the relationships between some of the characters it's well done

Episode 13 was a great final episode and D'Onofrio has a couple of really great scenes.

I had doubts about how far they were willing to go in terms of violence despite them saying they weren't going to shy away from it, but they went much farther than I expected. After watching this series a Punisher Max inspired show isn't that far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just finished this.

It's a fantastic show. I had high expectations and it still smashed them, never for a minute did I think it would be quite as violent and dark. The acting was top notch from everyone, but Vincent D'Onofrio was spectacular as Kingpin. As Moustache said, he was born to play the role. The character was every bit as good as Daredevil himself, his backstory and flashbacks were some of the best bits of the show.

As for Daredevil himself, Charlie * was brilliant. Played Matt Murdock and Daredevil to perfection, and his relationship with Foggy was great to watch. As was his relationship with Claire, but I'm disappointed she wasn't in it as much as I hoped.

In terms of the future, obviously there's another 4 Marvel shows to come - Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and The Defenders. I'm now expecting big things from them, can't wait. But for Daredevil, I'd like to think there'll be a season 2. The story with Stick was never resolved and it would be perfect to have Bullseye in it.

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    great series cant help but thnik they have copied batman a bit on some instances like the first episode the fight out with the bad guys at containers near docks totally same scene as batman begins then episode six escaping from police surrounded derelict building with swat exact same scene as batman year one graphic novel

5. Conlon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Past - Henrik .... Present - Who knows
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing... among others
    pretty sure they would probably end up in the same kind of places seeing as the work they are involved in... therefor not much of a surprise they encounter police forces there ?

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Renewed for a second season next year!:icon_mrgreen:

7. Boom Stick

Really enjoying the show,Easy to watch TV,no brain power needed,great for Sunday evenings

8. Dáibhí

Did you find the first episode to be a bit slow? Reason I mention that is because I've only watched episode one and wasn't overly impressed, but everyone else on my social media feeds seem to be going mental over it.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not particularly but I can see why some might. Stick with it, once you get into the story and the villain comes into it then it's excellent.

10. Dallas Cowbhoys

Finished this last night, really enjoyed it

Daredevil and Kingpin are great in it, the fight scenes are really well done and Rosario Dawson is very sexy as that nurse as well

His partner I found a bit annoying as he's not naturally funny as a person but he got a bit better towards the end of the season

Glad it's being renewed, I thought they were just gonna do all the individual series first?

11. Dáibhí

Watched the 2nd episode last night and i'm still not really impressed. He spent most of it laying around crying about being stabbed and beaten up by Russians.

It had better improve over the next few episodes otherwise i'm out.

12. Boom Stick

Episode called The Stick made the show for me

13. Sonny7

Watched the first three episodes, really enjoying it so far. Never new before a started it that Charlie * was playing Daredevil. He was great in Boardwalk Empire.

14. Moustache

Glad to hear they're doing a second series, and much sooner than originally expected. It'll be interesting to see where they go story-wise seeing as they set-up a couple of potential different storylines and characters.

That was the plan, but it seems like the reaction to the show has forced them to reconsider how they go about releasing them. If they stuck to the original timetable then late 2017 would be the earliest possible point for a second solo Daredevil series.

Whether or not this means the Iron Fist show which was (supposedly) due out in the second half of next year gets pushed back to 2017, or they release three series next year hasn't been announced.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  15. Sonny7

Loving this. Watched the first 7 episodes so far. Episode 7 was excellent.

16. Sonny7

Episode 9 spoiler

Oofft, the Fogster just found out Matts the man in black:88: Moving onto the finale, better deliver!

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Wait, not sure if it's just because how you said that but you do know that there's 13 episodes?

18. Sonny7

Aye your right, dunno why a thought they were only 10 episodes:50: 10m into it buzzing thinking this is the finale:smiley-laughing002:

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:smiley-laughing002:

The more the merrier.

20. Highland_Bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever Henrik Larsson, now Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Gonna give this a watch sometime this week.