1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Damien Duff & Stephen McManus join Celtic’s Academy coaching team

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 14, 2019.

Discuss Damien Duff & Stephen McManus join Celtic’s Academy coaching team in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who is?

2. Mr. Slippyfist

I have no clue.

3. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What is kennedys role? Not trying to be an *, genuine question.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm sure I remember it being mentioned that he deals with tactics.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    First team coach

Tommy25 likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    5B41289F-D92E-464C-A8C5-E658BC71447B.jpeg

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Whats his job? Assistant?

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Chris Davies is assistant manager.

Didn't you know that?

Liam Scales likes this.
  9. Eazey

Assistant to the assistant manager

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Obviously.

But * is kennedys job?

Seriously? Is he AN assistant to rodgers? Or the assisstants assistant?

Is he there to crack jokes in the showers?

A fluffer for craig gordon?

What is it exactly that he does?

11. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Again, he’s a first team coach.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

[​IMG]

15. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Damien Duff says "dream club" Celtic are the only side he would have left Ireland to join.

The former Chelsea, Newcastle, Fulham and Republic of Ireland winger, 39, has moved to the Scottish champions as reserve team coach.

He says coaching at Celtic is "the next best thing" to playing for the club.

"I didn't play for Celtic but to come and coach here is top class," said Duff, who has coached with Shamrock Rovers.

"I had the kits all the way through, Celtic and Manchester United were my teams. I don't think it ever got close but yeah, I would have come up here [to play].

"I have loved every minute of it. I've been here 10 days, I went through the interview process six to eight weeks ago. I've brought the family, taken the kids out of school. If anyone else came calling - not that they did - it was the only club I would have left for."

Duff, who becomes reserve team coach as Stephen McManus takes over as Under-18s coach, worked with Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers when he was a coach at Chelsea.

"He was brilliant with me down there. We would obviously talk about Celtic; it's my dream club, it was his dream club then," said Duff, who won 100 caps for the Republic of Ireland.

"I'm not claiming to know everything. I feel like I'm learning the game all over again. When you stand on the touchline it's a totally different viewpoint. I'm only a baby, I'm a year-and-a-half, two years in. So it's a massive road but I'm going to embrace it.

"Even away from the pitch, just getting into the lads' heads what it takes to be a footballer. Across the board - not at Celtic - but in England, Ireland, Scotland, lads just do enough and think just doing enough is going to get you to be a footballer but it's not.

"You've got to do more than enough every day and empty the tank. It's just that obsession.

"On the pitch I'll help them all I can. I'm on them 24/7 out there, I'm full-on, I'm passionate, I'm emotional. Once they realise it's not me just being a pain, it's because I care and I want to help.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IN a career spanning three decades, Damien Duff made over 500 appearances at senior club level, and earned a century of caps for the Republic of Ireland. He captained the Irish national team during Euro 2012, and his honours list includes two English Premier League titles, two English League Cups and an English FA Community Shield.

Last week, Duff joined Tommy McIntyre at Celtic’s Professional Academy as assistant manager of the Reserve squad. Today, he admitted there’s no other place in the world he’d rather be.

“I’ve brought my wife over here, and I’ve taken my kids out of school to come here,” Damien Duff said in an exclusive interview with Celtic TV. “There’s no other place in the world, or any other club, that I would have left Ireland for, at the minute anyway, in my coaching career.

“The club asked me to come over and interview, which was a very tough process. Thankfully I got the job, and it was an easy decision. And thankfully my wife and kids were happy to come as well, so they’re settled in school and we’re all good.

“It’s been great so far, and it’s been tiring. It’s the first time in my life I’ve worked proper hours, in at eight in the morning and home for five or six. You don’t see that side of things when you’re a professional footballer. But it’s brilliant.

"I’ve been retired for three years or so, and I think one of things you miss most, it’s not necessarily the football, but it’s being around football people 24/7. I’ve got that back in my life now, I can’t switch off now when I go home, but I’ve really, really enjoyed it so far.”

Ten days into the job, Duff drew parallels between the early stages of his coaching career and that of young players aiming to break into the senior squad. As an ex-winger, he named Ryan Giggs a source of inspiration in his younger years, as well as Kenny Dalglish during his time at Blackburn Rovers.

Likewise, Duff praised Tommy McIntyre, Chris McCart, Chris Davies and Brendan Rodgers – describing the Hoops boss as one of the best managers in the world.

He added: “I’m only a baby in coaching terms, I’m not claiming to know everything and I’m here to learn. It’s an amazing learning environment, and I just want to be a top coach, and see where that takes me, whether that’s management or wherever. I was nervous on my first day, I’m still a bit nervous now, and I don’t really think that will change, nerves are good. I’m here to learn and get better and help people.

“The gaffer has been great, he’s top-class and he’s one of the best managers in the world. That’s a fact, and I think the club is lucky to have him. It all stems from him, he’s the figurehead.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/15609

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I like the cut of his jib.

Tommy25 and bagforlife like this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No ego, enthusiastic, willing to learn and acknowledges he doesn't know it all..

Will make some mistakes but was a top player and I think by the sounds of him...he'll be infectious to the kid's..

Obviously we want people in who are good enough, but the more Tim's in that are dying to be here the better..

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

Nearly spat me lager oot there thinking I was in the Scott McKenna thread :56::56::56:

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I thought we were as well :fear:

:brendy:

StPauli1916 likes this.