1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cristiano Ronaldo accused of rape

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 29, 2018.

Discuss Cristiano Ronaldo accused of rape in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If 5% were false, 95% are not false. Simple.
    Not an assumption you can make.
    I read them in an article in a newspaper, but I’ll have a look for similar.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This.

3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Missed that cheers

Bob Loblaw likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    8FE577B8-CA79-40CB-AF2A-A5292640287F.png

A relatively small sample size, over a decade, yet only 5.9% are false allegations.

I’ve yet to see anything that would support the notion of false rapes being particularly common, while acknowledging that the majority (up to 90%) of rapes cases go unreported.

5. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Even in that you are quoting above it says it could be between 2 & 10%.
    Do you not think if it’s 10% that 1 in 10 accused is a lot of false allegations & affects the perception of people to the crime.
    At what percentage do you agree it’s plenty?

6. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

7. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Sorry Minty, but there's something I cant take serious about someone named "The GOAT (formally with a Messi avatar)" almost dictating this thread :56:

Innocent until proven guilty, shambles some of the comments already. I have no opinion wether he did or not, but this trial via social media needs aborted.

8. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

9. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Stench of this will never escape him now, he's guilty in the court of public opinion regardless of the facts. Then again, Kobe Bryant manages well enough with the media glossing over his past misdemeanours so Ronaldo will probably get the same treatment once everyone gets bored of the story.

Expensive lawyers and the ability to pony up for a second settlement payment, he'll probably not face any legal consequences.

10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

If it’s all true, rape was committed & the police are involved, he would have to do time surely???

11. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    If she reported it to police at the time, and a rape kit was done featuring Ronaldo's dna, then he'd be in trouble. I've not read the Der Spiegel report but I've not heard anything about dna evidence existing, so he'll probably be fine. Albeit his reputation in the US will be damaged, perhaps Nike will take a stand and dump him.

12. Grace

Tim-Time 1888 and Liam Scales like this.
  13. leeso-ardoyne

Anyone who rapes a women or kids or takes advantage of someone for sexual desires are proper scum of the earth and need punished in courts or in the streets for their crimes. However not everything is so black and white, esp when theres money involved. I have my opinion , yous have yours. Best to leave it at that i suppose.

trip2themoon and ChrisMoh like this.
  14. Onefootwonder

Only 5.9% are false allegations? Even 5.9% is a very high amount of false allegations if rape is as rife as suggested.

I don't know how they can pluck the figures they do from thin air. When it comes to rape the figures all assume that everything was rape. It doesn't require evidence, doesn't need to be reported let alone proven. It's a lot of assuming.

When it comes to false allegations usually they require to be proven without doubt. It is complete double standards.

There is huge pressure to gain convictions for rape. How can anyone get a fair trial when there is pressure on the police and the court system to gain convictions? The evidence is either there or it's not and extra attention and effort to seek convictions distorts what is supposed to be an unbiased trial.

There has been numerous high profile cases lately where the case should never have got to court. The evidence was there in advance and was ignored.

Why did nothing happen to the girl recently who made the allegations and gave evidence only for her social media and text messages to prove in court the * was consensual? She was as clear as day lying.

In any other trial I would imagine that she would face perjury charges. With the way rape is reported, the desire to seek convictions, not scare off people from reporting genuine crimes they are too scared to tackle women for making false allegations.

A false allegation of rape should be hit with very serious punishment. The guy has his life ruined and will never shake the dirt off. However, nothing happens to false accusers as the fear is it will stop genuine cases coming forward. It's not fair.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    One false accusation is one too many, but it’s still an incredibly low amount compared to the amount of women who have been raped, especially when actual rapists are rarely convicted.

The point is how quickly, the majority of people assume she’s lying, just because Ronaldo’s famous, or just because there was a previous payment to keep quiet.

:giggle1:

For what it’s worth I’ve been a huge fan of Ronaldo as a footballer and hope he is innocent.

I wasn’t suggesting you think rape is ok. I think you misunderstood what I said.

You shouldn’t be so quick to assume that she’s lying just to get money. You’ve assumed Ronaldo is innocent because of his fame. It’s part of the problem why so many rape victims are afraid to come forward.

She might be lying, she might not be. You’ve made a snap judgement like many others and that’s not right.

If only 5.9% are false allegations, then that’s nothing in comparison to the amount of people who have actually been rape victims.

I disagree that figures are plucked from thin air and no sensible person assumes any figure assumes rape. You’re talking as if people accused of rape don’t get a fair trial to prove themselves.

We could be here all day mentioning other rape cases, none of which have relevance to Ronaldo’s rape case. However, there is little to support the viewpoint that false accusations are anywhere nearly as frequent as actual rapes.

You should read this:
    https://www.thecut.com/article/false-rape-accusations.html

I agree with you that false rape allegations should come with serious punishment.

ourdaywillcome! likes this.
  16. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

If you read the links I posted above quite a lot of people have been locked up without a fair trial & quite a few more are still in jail.

You wouldn’t think your magic 5.9 % of falsely accused rapists was ok if someone accused you.
    That 6 in 100 accused, you don’t think that’s a lot.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It’s not ‘my’ magic anything. It’s the figures available. I already said one was too many.

I read the links you posted, I’ve still not seen a single thing that suggests there are nearly as many false accusations as people claim though, especially when up to 90% of rapes go unreported. That 5.9% would be a lot lower if all rape cases were reported.

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Minty, in case you can’t be bothered to look open my link.

[​IMG]
    Alison Saunders has apologised for disclosure failings
    • Martin Evans
    5 JUNE 2018 • 7:17 PM

Hundreds of innocent people could be behind bars for rape and other serious offences because of the failure to disclose crucial evidence, legal experts have said.

The warning came after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) was forced to drop 47 serious * assault cases in just six weeks after a review found key material had not been shared with the defence.

The review was ordered in January this year after a string of rape cases collapsed at the last minute due to failures by the police and prosecutors to hand over evidence that could have proved a defendant's innocence.

Liam Allan, 22, a student who was accused of six counts of rape was cleared by a judge in December, after it emerged that his accuser had bombarded friends with hundreds of messages setting out her rape fantasies.

[​IMG]
    Liam Allan was cleared by a judge after evidence emerged, which had not been disclosed, that proved his innocence CREDIT: REX SHUTTERSTOCK
    Just days later, Isaac Itiary, 25, who was accused of raping an underage girl, walked free from court when phone messages emerged supporting his claim that the girl had claimed to be 19.

Samuel Armstrong, an aide to a Tory MP, was also cleared of raping a young Commons worker after claiming there had been late disclosure of crucial material in his case.

Appearing before MPs to explain the scale of the problem, Alison Saunders, the outgoing Director of Public Prosecutions, claimed her staff had been struggling to cope with the amount of digital evidence now available on smartphones.

Apologising for the mistakes of the past, Ms Saunders insisted that the introduction of new safeguards meant similar mistakes would not occur in the future.

But legal experts said the problem was now so widespread, it was inevitable some innocent people would have been wrongly convicted of extremely serious offences.

Tana Adkin QC, a member of the Criminal Bar Association's executive committee, said part of the problem was that the police and prosecutors were now more focused on believing the complainant than on obtaining justice.

She told the Telegraph: "We believe there may well be people in custody who should not be there.

"If you assume the figures in the review are accurate then out of 3,637 cases that were examined in six weeks, 47 had disclosure issues and of those 14 people were in custody when the cases were dropped.

"If you extrapolate that figure over time then you have to say in all likelihood there will be people who should never have been convicted because evidence existed that would have cleared them.

Ms Adkin also dismissed the suggestion that the problem was down to the large amounts of digital evidence that had to be examined.

She said: "We do not accept there is a problem with looking at large amounts of data. The technology is there. What is lacking is the right attitude and perspective. Officers are looking at this from one point of view.

"There has been a desire to protect the complainant, to preserve their privacy rather than looking at the data for what it is. There has been a complainant centered approach rather than a justice centered approach."

[​IMG]
    Samuel Armstrong, who was cleared of rape, claims his case was beset with disclosure issuesCREDIT: HEATHCLIFF O'MALLEY
    Emily Bolton, Legal Director of the Centre for Criminal Appeals, said they had received almost 1,000 inquiries over the past four years from people who believed they had been wrongly convicted.

She said: "Hundreds of these individuals may be victims of disclosure failings. But the scary truth is we cannot know exactly how many because of the secrecy that surrounds police and CPS files.

"As appeal lawyers, we are refused access to these documents and so material that was wrongly withheld from the defence doesn’t come to light. And in some cases, this will have led to conviction of the innocent.”

Once a person has been found guilty, the rules around post-conviction disclosure, make it even more difficult to get material.

[​IMG]
    Legal experts fear people could have been wrongly imprisoned
    Ms Bolton said the government should now consider establishing an independent disclosure agency, that could take on the role of handling the vast swathes of evidence.

She said: “A new Independent Disclosure Agency will be better at ensuring individuals get a fair trial and free up significant amounts of police resources and court time.

“We’re also calling for reform of the post-conviction disclosure system. Currently it’s too hard for the wrongly convicted to access police material which might help prove their innocence.”

Responding to the suggestion that miscarriages of justice could have occurred due to disclosure problems, a CPS spokesman said: “There are substantive checks and balances throughout the prosecution process to ensure miscarriages of justice do not occur.

"All cases are kept under continuous review but we have implemented changes to ensure disclosure is considered as early as possible so if cases need to be halted, this happens as soon as possible.

"Getting disclosure right is a fundamental part of a fair criminal justice system. The CPS and the police have a comprehensive action plan to bring about lasting improvements

19. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
  20. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA