1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cristiano Ronaldo accused of rape

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 29, 2018.

Discuss Cristiano Ronaldo accused of rape in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

I’d imagine they are sueing the paper as they were the ones who published the document.

I’ve been trying to find the article that I read the other day which was saying that this news paper have been the ones running heavy on this and that the woman involved didn’t want to speak to them.

I’m not privy to American laws but Why is she not seeking criminal charges against Ronaldo? She is sueing him for damages through a civil court.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye for publishing a private document, not as a forgery or that. Didn’t know that either, so she’s been trying to keep it quiet as well? That fits in with everything else then for me.

Dunno about American laws either mate, can’t say I’m an expert at all. I just know if somecunt forged my signature on a rape confession I’d be seeking criminal damage for that. Ronaldo’s lawyers,after already paying her hush money btw, aren’t going after it. My first question there would be why?

3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I can get people being disappointed by their hero being a * or someone they greatly admire on the pitch not being that off the pitch.

I was personally gutted when Louis CK had got accused during the metoo movement because he's my favourite comedian even though what he done is nowhere near as bad as this.

But this is completely inexcusable regardless of all the goals he's scored and medals he's won.

4. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I'm against this aggressive, guilty-until-proven innocent #metoo witch-hunt that is being driven by privileged middle-class feminists, but if the documents in this case are accurate, then it's pretty damning. Ronaldo has supposedly stated that she said no and stop several times. If that's an accurate depiction of what happened he is a rapist.

Peej likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Exactly, I'm not a Ronaldo fan at all, but until their is a court case and this is all proven, then it's wrong to label him anything yet.
    Equally it is wrong for the woman to be labeled as anything as well, till something is proven factually and isn't just here'say.

It's a tough one to prove at times, more so with time being passed now. But unfortunately for someone, that is the way this is for the time being. But it doesn't mean we just take the word of one or the other because we think one crime may be worse than the other.

On the subject of punishment for a wrong accusation, I'm somewhat for it.
    If a woman claims rape, then it is found out that the man did not rape her, that she was lying, that she put in a false claim, then I reckon she does deserve time being bars for that one.
    Should a woman claim rape, but it is found that it can't be proven - insufficient evidence - but the claim isn't deemed false, then no she shouldn't be punished.

No one really knows how many assaults go unreported, the clue is in the name there, but I bet there is too large a proportion are false claims. Doesn't excuse anything or take away the real claims, but the fact that it is so hard to prove at times and that false claims are unfortunately also common, it needs to be dealt with as best as possible and as a society we shouldn't be judging anyone till the cases have been dealt with in full.

6. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I agree with you.

Despite bogus 'research' by feminist academics, I have no doubt false accusations are not rare.

Peej likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Based on what?

8. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    False accusations are not properly recorded.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mystic Penguin likes this.
  10. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    From that very article:

"First up, let’s acknowledge the elephant in the room: there is no reliable data that exists to tell us how many people are accused of rape in day-to-day life.

There are all sorts of environments — at work, at home, in public — where someone could make an allegation of rape, truthfully or otherwise, that may go unrecorded. If false, these accusations could have far-reaching and profound effects on the accused’s life, even if they never result in police or judicial action.

But we can only analyse the data we have. So, for the purposes of this article, we will look at rape allegations that make it to the courts"

And:

"The closest we can get to an official figure for the number of false rape allegations is how many people were prosecuted for perverting the course of justice or wasting police time after making a rape claim.

The latest data on this is from a 17-month period in 2011 and 2012, when the CPS prosecuted 35 people for making false allegations of rape.

Undoubtedly, there will be other cases of false allegations being made where there was not enough evidence to bring a prosecution of wasting police time or perverting the course of justice. But we don’t have data to quantify this."

This is kind of my point. There is no reliable way of confirming what the official figures are for false accusations.

Here's a link to a study/report from the Cambridge Law Journal (pages 136-7) that contains a table which shows the variations of different findings. http://eprints.uwe.ac.uk/6478/1/Download.pdf

Some of these findings contend that false accusations account for as many as 40-50% of all claims.

Such disparity would indicate that it's difficult to be precise about this, but from the material I've seen, I'm not convinced that false rape accusations are 'rare'. They are incredibly easy claims to make, and the political environment now is such that women are to be believed almost unconditionally lest any skepticism of the woman's claims be evidence of 'rape culture' or being a 'rape apologist'.

Onefootwonder likes this.
  11. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Fair enough but I'm also not a fan of people that are willing to dismiss the bird even though there's substantial evidence clearly.

Anyone that says things like who would turn down Ronaldo, she just wants money etc is an absolute reptilian mouth breather to me.

celtic warrior, Marie and Liam Scales like this.
  12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Who said that?^****

13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Minty is adamant it’s only 5.9%.

14. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

You can pluck figures out your * but false claims of rape are not rare.

Quite a few get stopped within a short timescale for wasting police time because it was used as an excuse by the person because they got caught out by a partner or wanted to damage the persons credibility.
    I don’t know if these figures are recorded.

You notice I put person, it’s not just women.

The IRA, Onefootwonder and Peej like this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thanks for the link, I’m reading it now.

The IRA likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lol.

People can only go with the figures available.

17. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Not really, read beyond the headlines. There were other figures mentioned that you didn’t “go with”:39:

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I always do and it’s pretty condescending of you to think I base my opinions on mere headlines.

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

You were too quick there.

20. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

The whole thing has died a death, it'll be all forgotten about soon.