1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cristiano or Brazilian Ronaldo

Discussion in 'World Football' started by The Maestro, Dec 13, 2016.

Discuss Cristiano or Brazilian Ronaldo in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Prosinecki, Stoitchkov and Giovanni all played in that Barca team.

Kanu, Zamarano, Seedorf, Roberto Baggio, Recoba, Blanc, Simic all played with him at Inter.

Canavaro, Ramos, Van Nistelrooy, Higuian all played with him at Madrid.

You're just picking players out a squad to suit your argument, Ronaldo played in class sides.

freederry20, Murph-E and Marty McFly like this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    They never really, I used the players he played most with.

Stoichkov only played a few games as back-up and it was his 2nd spell when he'd declined. Prosinecki never played with him and Giovanni was sub who hardly got a game.

At Inter, Zamorano did play with him in his 2nd season before injury but his first season he rarely played with him, Seedorf hardly played with him, as did Baggio, Ronaldo only played 8 games in the 2 season they were together. Recoba was out on loan when he joined Inter and then a sub mostly before he was injured, Kanu again only ever a sub.

They sold Ronaldo when they signed Higuain and they signed Van Nistelrooy to replace him, hardly played a game with Cannavaro who was only with him half a season.

3. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I think, at his peak, Brazilian Ronaldo was the better player.

However, although I've never liked Cristiano, and have (perhaps unfairly) looked to find fault, I now admit that the numbers add up, and over the course of his career, his goals to games ratio is incredible for the modern era.

If longevity is important to your opinion of a player, then Cristiano now has to be up there in the conversation for one of the greatest players of all time.

4. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Ronaldo had a fantastic Champions League campaign 2016/2017. By the time I wrote my post his numbers were pretty low and his slaughtering earlier this year certainly boosted the numbers.

Dunno what's the point in your post though. Ronaldo has improved once more and finally become what I had questioned pre 2017 - he's become clutch. Top 3 Player of all time.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What would you say Ronaldo's peak was, his season at Barca?

6. kevza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People sing
    Cristiano for me.

Sadly, I remember the Brazillian one more for his mental health issues.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Seedorf played 32 games in the 01/02 season and Ronaldo played 16.

Baggio played 35 games in 98/99 and Ronaldo played 28.

Only 2 I can be arsed checking but you're actually just making * up now.

8. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Probably, and you could throw in the following season (his first at Inter) up to and including the World Cup semi-final.

I always felt that after the events surrounding the World Cup Final of 1998, he was never quite the same again. In 1999 he did his knee, and although he still scored lots of goals, he no longer shocked you with his amazing pace, skill and general all round talent.

9. Murph-E

Cristiano Ronaldo by a mile. Better all-round player and more prolific goalscorer.

10. Barry Robson

Shame Ronaldo had horrific knee injuries, one of my fav players ever.

11. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Ronaldo of Barcelona/early Inter Milan years was phenomenal. Week in Week out he was throwing defenders a dizzy. After his injury we only saw flashes of that quality, couple of seasons with Real Madrid.

Cristiano Ronaldo has been able to be more consistent with his standard of play. He has a tremendous desire to be the best or better than anyone else, so he keeps himself in condition and makes sacrifices(which people still find odd in this country). Whatever it takes for him to be the best he will do. Still has the odd young Ronaldo moments which were prominent in his Man United days, whatever it takes to be the best or win.

I think its hard to compare these two players like for like. You can bring out all the stats, but the differences around football(conditioning, etc) are still vast even though they featured to an extent in the same generation. One Ronaldo coming to the end of his career, while the other was just beginning to flourish.

Ronaldo's style of football, without doubt influenced a generation of footballers. Same as Pele, Cruyff,Maradonna et al influenced those after them. Cristiano Ronaldo will influence a generation of players to come, through his style of play and hopefully look beyond the goalscoring and so on, to see what he's done away from the pitch that's allowed him to perform at a high standard and being able to replicate it so consistently.

12. Aidan O’Shea

Which he shouldn't get this year but will.

13. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Ronaldo's been better that Messi this year. Near singlehandedly got Madrid to the final..

14. Aidan O’Shea

I think Messi individually had the better season, even if Ronaldo had the better last three rounds in the CL.

15. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Ballon Dor's are rewarded on the basis of performances during the calendar year. So far, Ronaldo has been better in 2017..

16. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Peak fat Ronaldo destroys anyone

Dallas Cowbhoys likes this.
  17. Aidan O’Shea

Has he? In terms of goals and assists etc? (I've no idea, forgot about it being a year thing).

18. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    http://messivsronaldo.net/calendar-year-stats/
    Quite close, but think Ronaldo edges it in terms of his performances in the latter stages of CL..

19. Aidan O’Shea

Haha, so close! I'd still pick Messi and I'd bet on him to have a better remainder of the year, despite playing for a far inferior side.

20. freitassen

Back then, football wasn't the extremely unequal sport it is today where like 3 teams concentrate all the best players in the world. Dinamo Kiev, Porto or even us could play without fear against the top teams and a win wouldn't be regarded as a miracle. For the more Cristiano Ronaldo's stats are impressive and such there is quite little to compete against when his team could field 3 sides capable of reaching the CL quarterfinals every year.

My answer is: neither CR nor Fat Ronaldo. At his peak, Ronaldinho was the best. In Brazil there were serious discussions if he could overtake Pele as the best player in history. "Just" that. Sadly he liked partying hard too much.