1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Craig gordon

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Kayal338, Jan 25, 2017.

Discuss Craig gordon in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Take the 4 million and go balls to the wall for Alban Lafont from Toulouse.

A man can dream eh...

2. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Chelsea are the English huns * them and Conte and everyone else

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

Are you saying then that our unbeaten run is down to Gordon?

The way I personally see it is I trust Rodgers' judgement as Celtic manager - and one of his judgments was to bring in de Vries (a player who he rates and says he can trust), so I'd be more than happy for him to see out the rest of the season.

We'd be off our nuts to reject a reported offer of £4.5m for Gordon, absolutely off our rockers...

Artorias likes this.
  4. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    DeVries had a complete nightmare when he was playing but he could do the job and could improve (he won player of the year at his old club). I think people struggle to see past how * he was, there would also maybe be less pressure on him if he was more or less a cert to be no1.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

He's played not even a handful of games for us - both of which were directly after he signed for the club having spent weeks out injured. His worst game for us was against Barcelona ffs! And he was nowhere near as bad as made out in his other games.

Plus, I think folk forget the majority out there were desperate for Gordon to be dropped at the time due to his terrible form, remember?

6. TheHappyLoss

Martin O'Neill was a great Celtic manager but was never able to get a decent keeper at Celtic. Brendan has been fantastic but De Vries has looked pretty poor so far, also his confidence must be pretty low. If we have a good replacement in now then yes it would be mad not to take over £4 million for Gordon, but wouldn't feel as confident of getting the treble or Champions League qualifiers with the other keepers we have

7. Mr. Slippyfist

That's just not true. Douglas - for all of his faults and epic * ups WAS indeed a decent goalkeeper. In fact, he more than played his part in getting us into the UEFA cup final, along with the rest of the team. David Marshall was more than decent for O'Neill too, and Sanchez Broto was an excellent goalkeeper in the games he started for O'Neill, so much so that I was gutted we penny-pinched and wouldn't fork out the extra pittance to sign him long term. Unfortunately though, O'Neill never had a Boruc or a Forster.

As I say, I find it hard to agree that Rodgers has signed a dud in de Vries (especially with his track record of his signings thus far as Celtic manager). He rates him, and I'm more than happy to trust his assessment...

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think it's a fair enough price.

I like Gordon, as a player and person, however I'm uneasy about these rumours of him getting a big wage hike etc.

I'm not sure if I want to see us make that commitment in him, as good as he has been lately. I think it was you who said that in 6 months time or so we could very well regret not taking tjat kind of money for him.

It could go towards a more than able replacement who is perhaps younger and more suited to the style we are trying to implement. Or go towards the wages of a guy like Costil who is already well established in a good league and is probably a better keeper than Gordon.

Bonobhoy likes this.
  9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

If Gordon wants to go then 5M is good money, we don't have to sell though.

If we do then we should go and get Bain in from Dundee.

10. TheHappyLoss

Disagree with the first part mate. O'Neills Celtic was by far the best Celtic team I've ever seen , the keeper no matter who it was was the weak link. Marshall did well for a spell then for some reason got a bit shaky. Do trust Brendan he has transformed the side, far from convinced by the keeper so far. All about opinions as some fat * once said :50:

11. Mr. Slippyfist

I agree that the GK was never O'Neill's best player in his side, but what I'm saying is that OVERALL those 3 goalkeepers were more than decent. Also, after O'Neill's first season, the left hand side of his back 3 was always his weakest point - big Joos was a revelation in his first season, then he was shunted over the left to accommodate big Bobo and there was a massive decline in his play, Ulrik Laursen was pretty poor overall too...

Totally agree about opinions chief. I'm not saying de Vries is a great goalkeeper, and I'm not saying that he isn't. All I'm saying is that in his minimum appearances so far he hasn't been as bad as made out, plus he was still fairly rusty having not long come back from injury. He's been here for months now working hard in training, so if/when Gordon departs for Chelski, I personally would have no qualms over trusting Rodgers with making him the no.1 for the rest of the season. Not long term though.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  12. Pacific Ocean Blue

4 Million is a little tempting but I'd still hold out for 5/6 million

13. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    i dont think anyone would say that the unbeaten run is down to gordon, or one particular player at all really.

but you cant deny that in a number of games, without gordon putting in the stops he made, we may not have gone on to win some of those games, just like in a number of games we may not have won had it not been for an individual performance from sinclair, dembele, armstrong etc.

the run isnt down to just gordon, but he has been the difference in a couple of matches at the very least. and i wouldnt be sure DDV or Bailly could have matched his performance in those matches

14. Aidan O’Shea

Jambo *. Get him sold. :fear:

15. Aidan O’Shea

Seriously though, for £4-5 million? Sell him.

16. Seosamh Máirtín

I'd sell Gordon, get Bain in now and give him six months to settle and challenge. If he doesn't raise his game, we pay a bit extra and get a quality 'keeper from the continent in the summer. No big deal. It'll not hurt our objectives.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd rather go with Doohan than get Bain in..

18. The Greenman King of kings

Wouldn't mind him going for about 4m as long as we get a good replacement

19. Bratfurdbhoy1

De Vries does scare the * out of me. New Keeper please if Girdon goes. But as we are at the end of the window we could end up with another 'fire sale' keeper like De Vries.

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Rodgers would probably trust Ddv to take the jersey but I've liked the look of Bain for a while and just imagine how good he'll get under Woods and Rodgers.

Gordon was praising the young keeper Doohan so that's good shout to maybe give him a chance.