1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Story Of' is a web series dedicated to small but special tales from illustrious Celtic’s history. Here, Craig Gordon explains his reaction to Tom Rogic’s last-minute Treble-winning goal of the 2016/17 Invincibles season.

SO much has been said about Tom Rogic’s last-gasp, Treble-winning goal against Aberdeen in the 2016/17 Scottish Cup final. And rightly so – the Australian wizard’s sublime right foot whipped the green and white half of the National Stadium into a frenzy, when he converted from an acute angle inside stoppage time.

That goal marked the Hoops’ first domestic clean sweep in 16 years and capped off the historic and unprecedented Invincibles campaign, wherein the Hoops went 47 domestic games without defeat. The ball hit the net, lightning struck, and Craig Gordon dropped to his knees, his head raised and his arms aloft.

“Building up to that match, to have had an Invincible season up to that point, there was so much riding on us winning that game,” recalled Celtic’s number one. “We went behind, we came back really quickly, and although we were on top towards the end, it didn’t feel like we were going to get it. To score so late on, you think: That’s it, we’ve done it.”

It’s an image that Celtic fans will never forget, and Gordon said that at that point, he was running purely on emotion.

He told the Celtic View: “You get that sense of relief, a sense of emotion that just overcomes you. At that point, it maybe hadn’t set in, not immediately, not properly, but we still realised we’d done it, we’d achieved something that would stand the test of time.

“You can go through your career and have highs and win trophies, but to be an Invincible, to be part of history and to be part of something that will be remembered at this club forever – that’s incredible.”

“For me, emotion just took over. I didn’t actually have a clear view of Tom’s goal. There were some bodies in the way, but I just saw it hit the net. There was thunder and lightning in the sky, it was all lit up, it was just… yeah, it was just an incredible moment. Nobody that was there will ever forget it.”

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  2. Bunk Moreland

He must be a genie or something or Summer is just a really desperate cow

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon is set to give Craig Gordon the chance to stake his claim to win back the Celtic number one jersey with his first competitive outing in seven months in Tallinn tonight.

The Scotland shot-stopper lost his place to Scott Bain midway through last season and hasn’t featured since the 1-0 Old Firm derby loss at Ibrox in December.

Former Hoops boss Brendan Rodgers liked his goalkeepers to be comfortable passing out from the back but Lennon insists that’s of less importance to him.

And the Irishman said Gordon is very much in the fight to start the new season as number one choice with the start of Celtic’s title defence just four days away

That is why the 36-year-old will be given a run-out for the second leg of Celtic’s second round Champions League qualifier with a 5-0 lead from the the first match in Glasgow.

Lennon is set to ring the changes with key men Callum McGregor and James Forrest both left behind as he looks to avoid burnout on the back of last season’s energy-sapping campaigns for the Scotland duo.

But it’s the opposite for Gordon who needs matches and asked if the veteran is second choice, Lennon - also set to hand £7 million man Christopher Jullien his debut - said: “I wouldn’t say that, no.

It’s too early for me to make that assessment. It’s a good opportunity Craig Gordon has a good chance of starting as well.

“He didn’t play when I came in due to a knee problem, but he’s over that now and he’s training well, so we’ll see how we go with the two of them.

Craig has really impressed me in training and in the bounce games that we’ve played, and Scott has been brilliant for me.

“Since I came in, he’s been absolutely outstanding. It’s something that we’ll gauge as we go along. I’m not going to treat Scott Bain badly, if he’s performing well, as he has done, then it’s not a difficult thing to keep the momentum going that way.

“I’ll probably go with gut instinct as we go along, and Stevie Woods will be important in that as well. But I don’t want to turn this into a p****** match between the two of them.

“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on either one of them. I’ve got the luxury of having two very good goalkeepers at the minute, and if called upon, I’m sure either of them will come in and do a terrific job for me

Kicking is far less a factor for me, I like my goalkeepers to keep the ball out of the net, and I’ve got two who are very, very good at that.”

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Interesting from Lenny......................Kicking is far less a factor for me, I like my goalkeepers to keep the ball out of the net

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Don't like that..

We should never go away from playing out from the back. Beats a high press when worked well and doesn't just give the opposition the ball....which has happened plenty with Bain's aimless kicking already this season..

Just don't be as reckless at the back with it. If you have to punt then punt..

Gyp Rosetti, Seán Mac D and MacEwan like this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Poor comment that IMO. A backwards one.

Even if you don’t want to build from the back, having a goalkeeper that’s capable of passing a ball is a good thing. Bain is streets ahead of Gordon and it’ll be far better for us in Europe to keep possession as opposed to continually inviting it on top of us any time the keeper has the ball.

Tommy25, Gyp Rosetti, Slaw and 3 others like this.
  7. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I was afraid Lennon would do this Bain must start tomorrow

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm with Lenny on this one. Good to hear.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

10. James Gold Member Gold Member

I like Bain but we 100% should be looking to improve. Gordon is done Salzburg sealed the deal for me

Gyp Rosetti, LectersLuncheon and Slaw like this.
  11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

What’s good about it? Because he said he wants his keeper to keep the ball out the net?

Aye, along with every manger at every level of football on the planet.

It’s disrespectful to Bain, he’s been fantastic for us. He isn’t just a passer.

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Not happy about this if I’m honest. It was always one of the reservations I had about Lennon becoming the manager.

“Kicking is far less important” - that is dinasour language in the modern game.

I hope Lennon sees through this and also sees that we have no one who can actually win a header in the midfield/forward areas.

Tommy25 and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

"Kicking is far less a factor for me, I like my goalkeepers to keep the ball out of the net, and I’ve got two who are very, very good at that.”

--------

In many domestic games that we play it isn't. We have games were the keeper doesn't actually have a save to make.

If Lennon starts selecting Gordon in goals then every team will start to play the high press against us and expose his poor decision-making, threat awareness and kicking.

The guy done us a turn but his time at the club is up. We need another keeper but our delays in getting the priorities sorted have probably pushed that on the back-burner.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    New defence and Gordon in goal............................................what could possibly go wrong :67:

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hmmm dont like that one bit.

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He was always going to give Gordon his chance. I won't be worried unless he actually drops Bain for a big match.

17. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Lenny needs his * head looked at if he thinks that every team in the spl wont just press high up the pitch and force that * tube into either duffing possession away or fluffing his lines.

* tragic

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I would’ve * this * out the door for not celebrating at Tyncastle.

The Prof and LectersLuncheon like this.
  19. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

maybe wouldnt be a bad things for clubs to come out and press us, especially domestically when they usually brick it most of the time and park the bus

just saying :fear:

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It is but to capitalise you need a keeper that's decent at kicking, that can get the ball into the space left by the players doing the high press on our backline....not one that'll skelp Paddy in the Main Stand that's returning from the pie stall.