1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's rewriting history a bit to suggest we should have let him go. 4 mill was (and is) great money for us but he was our No.1 in the middle of the greatest run in our history.
    He did do well for us and his contribution while he was here should not be belittled.
    I think it's time for him to move on & free up wages, I do agree that Bain has absolutely contributed to our great defensive run and is far superior with his distribution. Not just with his feet but the speed of it too. I would however be very open to an upgrade if one were available. Although to be fair there's probably no position bar KT I'd say that.

packybhoy and JML67 like this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Gordon is a decent keeper but it's ridiculous that it took Rodgers so long to replace him. Makes some top saves, but most other aspects of his game are below par to pish.

JC Anton, Rydo1888* and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I don’t see a whole lot of support for Gordon here. But if you feel making blazing statements with no actual substance then work away. And when your actually corrected you start mud slinging in the hope that makes your point more valid. You make it sound like a conspiracy when it is only people posting to call you out on a crazy suggestion turned in as fact.
    I think Gordon has run his course for Celtic and should be looking to move in the summer.
    The defence is playing much better with Bain behind him.
    Just because you dislike Gordon doesn’t make your points facts.
    You said he was the worst in Europe. He isn’t.
    There are many many leagues in Europe and a lot worse keepers in the SPFL never mind the whole of Europe.
    As for the Talk Celtic Bukake, catch yerself on. Just because everyone isn’t backing your insane claims doesn’t mean we are all jerking off to Craig Gordon.

Xatraps likes this.
  4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I don't think he was all that good of a shot stopper but he had a way of making average saves look spectacular. If there was a Harlem Globetrotters in football he would be a good goalie for them to sign.

littlekennie likes this.
  5. celtic warrior

Done far better then anyone could've imagined for us when he first came in.

But he couldn't keep up with the demands of a modern GK, he became a massive bombscare as he just didn't have the ability to play football with the ball at his feet.

He served us well when it looked like we'd struggle to replace Forster with someone even just half as good.

But I think in hindsight, it would have been a huge * risk to sell him to Chelsea when, I don't think we had any clue about Bain.

Now though, it's his time to go, we lose out a decent transfer fee but so be it, we can bring in someine who could be better than Bain, or a suitable back up on lesser wages.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Scott bain is a clean sheet king

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Rydo1888* likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Never understood that, he’s at odds with everything Rodgers wants in a keeper.

Maestro 08 and Seán Mac D like this.
  9. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

I agree with a lot of what your saying man. I remember people going ape-* on here when we signed him. Folk genuinley thought our board had lost the plot. I think he was out the game for over year and had been training with sevco and stuff.

I do remember him having some brilliant games for us. And quite a few good games in Europe that saved us from a proper doing at times. Even although his European record doesnt reflect this, I definetley remember a few great performances.

The inability to play the ball out with his feet was obvious but Rodgers was putting over-emphasis on this and persisting with it even when it clearly wasnt working.

Guy done well, but time to move on like your saying, happens to every player

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He was outstanding that game as well...up until that moment.

11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Im only seeing this now @packybhoy ...

One of two things... or both is happening here.

Let me seperate out my "insane claims". Just for your clarity.

Perhaps i should have worded it better, i meant the worst keeper in those euro compeitions. More specifically, the keeper with the worst shots to save to minutes ratio. This put... and indeed puts to bed the total fabrication that Craig Gordon is a "great shot stopper".

Now when i said "the worst in both competitions for ANY keeper" you acknowledged this with a wry "still not the worst on the spl". You chose to either deflect or ignore this choosing to focus your rebuttle on "the worst keeper on europe" quip as some sort of justification to deny the original FACT as was stated previously...and numerous times by other posters.

If all you have is after the fact, linguistic symantecs to try deflect away from a truly dire statistic then perhaps my "insane bukkake claims" arent as far of the mark as you would like to deny.

As @honda aptly put it.

He's pish.

Just give up.

Ps. Since your defence of Gordon appears to be focused on the literal, accusing me of "mudslinging" would indicate that i have made accusations of a false or exagerrated nature. I have accused Gordon of NOTHING. Merely stated FACTS about his behavior since he signed for us.

Pps. If however you used the term mudslinging to refer to me accusing some members of engaging in a "circle *", then yes that would be fine. :58:

Ps3. If it actually was the latter then i do actually apologise. It would be unfair to accuse members of a circle * in these circumstances. A "closing of ranks" would be more suitable.

I understand your frustration at my attitude towards gordon and can see that some members, perhaps yourself might find it apt to shut me up by defending him. My attitude is in fact 50% borne out of frustration at reading the same preposterous claims about gordon on here... such as "great shot stopper", " great servant", "rescued us in europe" etc etc.
    The other 50% is about imagining a vien in crows head thats about to pop. :36:

12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Ahhh. Right mate I’ve obviously picked you up wrong when you said “his stops to shots ratio is * woeful, literally the worst in Europe” and I would like to highlight the word literally as it is used as an emphasis on how correct you are with the claim mentioned. Take literally out of your post and it’s a whole different ball game where we can analyse the semantics of your choice of word or phrase you use. But that’s all splitting hairs in the end and you have came back then to sarcastically take the defensive role and nobody agrees with you and that makes them all idolise Gordon. Always grey areas but your a real black or white guy and if it ain’t from your point of view then it’s pish. So to keep it simple maybe we shouldn’t try to force our opinions of very little fact and basically dealing * hands on serving Celtic players. I still stand by the opinion that while I would prefer for us to have Craig Gordon off the bill, I am still going to say there are worse keeper stats in our league let alone Europe. No use in stating something as factual and pull back to rejig your fact.

Craig Gordon - Invincible treble winner.

13. freitassen

Well, Rodgers did replace him.

With Dorus de Vries.

And Bain came by accident, because his plan A was Trevor * Carson from * Motherwell.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  14. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    With DDV away I’d also look to move Gordon on. We need a keeper that is ready to challenge Bain for number 1 jersey.

I’d be more confident going into next season if we had Bain and another goalkeeper that’s number 1 quality

Gordon has been a good servant but with age and injury it’s time to move on.

JML67 likes this.
  15. Momo Sylla

We should absolutely be looking for better than Bain. He's a decent keeper but is never going to be the guy to make a difference when up against it in Europe. Gordon being so inconsistent since his first season has really skewed opinions of Bain.

16. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    I think bain is an outstanding keeper just my thoughts

Celtic Bhoy 94 likes this.
  17. Paully1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Is he more interested in the bird that worked on Celtic tv more than playing

18. Maestro 08

Let's hope so.

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I agree and with a new season approaching I think he should hold the top slot for goalie. That will set his confidence soaring. Guy reminds me of the goalies you used to see in the 80s.

20. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    That’s only because the amount of time we pass it back

For those of us that remember football, when you could pass it back to the goalkeeper and he could lift it

packybhoy likes this.