1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Bellamy on his time at Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Thommo92, Jun 3, 2013.

Discuss Craig Bellamy on his time at Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sydneysider

MacDonald ; Turning point in the 2008 season was the home game against the scum. Only ten games left, they were four points clear with 2 games in hand. Looking good for Ally and the scum.

A draw would suit the Scum nicely. Near the end its 1-1 and Naka wins a penalty after Cuellar handles.
    But McDonald insists on taking it and underhits a lame shot which McGregor saves easily. He shrugs and strolls away.

Incredibly in extra time JVOH gets up to score a sensational header - its 2-1 the Huns are stunned and we go on to win the league.

BTW MacDonald was once asked which manager had helped him most in his career and which had harmed him.

He said Terry Butcher had saved his career, and helped him hugely when he signed for Motherwell. Terry B was his saviour and mentor.

Gordon Strachan ( then managing Southampton) had almost destroyed his career when he "released" him.

GS was our manager when he signed for us.

Swervedancer likes this.
  2. CraigFairlie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Loved Bellamy. Wore his heart on his sleeve for all clubs. I remember watching the game when he scored the Hat-trick against Dundee United away. Amazing.

3. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Frankly, I don't think it matters a great deal whether McDonald supported Celtic or not, really. He's quoted as saying his Dads side of the family are all Celtic fans. That doesn't mean McDonald himself was - or even that his Dad was.

The only thing I find strange or funny about his comments re not joining Rangers. They're so dramatic! He's quite right to be disappointed, though. Rangers at the time were obviously a decent team and much bigger than Motherwell.

This is a guy who did really well for us over 3-4 years. He scored 30+ goals in his first season for us, and got important goals in Europe and against Rangers. He also got us a decent fee when he moved to Boro.

I don't understand the animosity.

molloy1888 likes this.
  4. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Seen the team in those videos, by the way?

Marshall
    McNamara Balde Varga Valgaeren
    Petrov Lennon Thompson McGeady
    Hartson Bellamy
    Not a bad starting XI.

5. Sydneysider

Aaah but he said he was ! so it was just bullshit for the Tic plebs really wasnt it.

He delighted in crushing our dreams on Black Sunday, that's why I hate the whining little * ( with the greatest of respect).

Did well for us for over 3-4 years ? He was well paid, he actually played two full seasons 2007-08, 2008-09.

We won the title in the first season (see my comment earlier about that ) and the League Cup in the second IIRC.

He left in the January window of 09-10 after stirring the * with the help of a couple of other * to destroy Tony Mowbrays reign. That's why TM dropped him

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Can't believe I'm responding to this, but hey ho.

Tic plebs? There have been loads of players who sign for a club and come out with a line about how they were a fan growing up. His background seems to be a mix of Rangers and Celtic supporting family members.

He celebrated those goals a lot, but it was a day that brought a lot of attention and for him to be the headline act was probably a huge deal for him. Those goals catapulted his reputation and got both Celtic and Rangers interested in him.
    I didn't like the way he celebrated, of course, but to hold it against him for so long seems a bit small.

OK, change 3-4 years to 2.5 years if you're going to be * about it. The point stands that he was still a good player for Celtic in the time he was here.

I've heard stuff before about him being some kind of mole, and if true it doesn't paint him in the best light. He was hardly the biggest problem of the Mowbray era, though.

7. Markybhoy

Fantastic strike.

Craig Thomson not giving us a stonewall penalty as well. Some things never change.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Nasser

Bellamy understood what it meant to wear the shirt and what we were about, I loved that about him.

Swervedancer likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

38 today
    [​IMG]

CymruBhoy and packybhoy like this.
  11. The Greenman King of kings

Still raging we never got him on a permanent deal especially after all the rumours that were flying around at the time:55:

12. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

a bit like the paddy situation now :55:

freederry20 likes this.
  13. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

that goal against the old huns was a beauty

14. The Greenman King of kings

I actually think the Bellamy situation was worse :fear:. Back then we had just finished a disappointing season were Bellamy was one of the few shining lights while everyone could tell the rest of the squad was in decline. Now we've just finished one of the best seasons in our history and have plenty of talent to work with. Don't get me wrong though I'll * my pants if paddy comes back.

15. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

aye O'Neills last season wasn't it, we were at a crossroads as you say with the aging squad, after 4-5 great seasons. We could have built a team round Bellamy heading into the Strachan years. Think Bellamy was keen on a permanent move right enough, just wasn't to be.

The Greenman likes this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Did strachan not say it would have taken his full budget up for the the 2005-06 season!

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Could have been a legend here.

The IRA and Marty McFly like this.
  19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Loved him.

Murph-E and Mr Shelby like this.
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Signed Keane on this day too. Imagine that as a partnership. 10IAR would have happened long ago.

The IRA and Marty McFly like this.