Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. leeso-ardoyne

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Mince.Charming and ChrisMoh like this.
  2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Might sound whacky, but a couple of years ago I was getting anxiety started mild and got worse, couldn't figure out why as there was no clear reason or things that I never got anxious about before made me anxious, at first I was putting it down to tiredness, then in the research I found a thread somewhere that said most people have some sort of magnesium deficiency, so I tried taking 1000mg vitamin c with magnesium, anxiety gone after a few days. When I read about this magnesium deficiency it can cause a whole lot of strange effects, including depression, anxiety. It made sense I was not getting enough magnesium when I moved to Singapore my diet changed completely I don't like the local food so was eating a very limited number of things.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  3. aeroshady

Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough!
    Update from my posts a page or two back. I am almost two weeks removed from leaving my wife. I left while she was at work one day. I had discussed that I wanted to end the marriage and leave a few times with her, but most recently in marriage therapy the Sunday before I left. She failed to meet any of the conditions that our therapist asked her to meet. She failed to respect my limits, boundaries or feelings and even worse than that, gas-lit the * out of me for six months to make me seem like the crazy one. She only met the conditions that she was willing to meet in her own way, not the way they were actually being asked of her. I told her I did not consent to her affair and she told me that she didn't consent to ending it. She even told me that she was not responsible for my hurt feelings or jealousy and that she doesn't own that. She told me nothing she does can make me feel that way, only I can make myself feel that way. Even went as far as to tell me that it would only be an affair if I think it is because to her it is not. So that if I just didn't think of it that way, it wouldn't be an affair. What?! Unreal. You can't argue with someone like that, you just have to realize it is done and leave them.

After I said I wanted to leave again in therapy, she begged me to stay and give us at least a little more time to work on things. She begged me to not give up. I agreed to give it one more week and talk things over one last time. The next day I discovered her texting the affair guy again. This time she openly admitted that they were texting those types of things again and that she prompted the texts this time. I asked her why, stating that doing that is not a great way to get me to stay. She told me "because I get something out of it. It fulfills a need I have." A day later I found text messages on her phone to him talking about how much she enjoys sucking his $**$ and asking him to film it next time. That was all I needed to prove what was going on.

I waited for her to go to work and circled back and packed up all my things and left without a word. I have not spoken to her or her family since. She melted down upon discovering I was gone. She made threats against my family and I and even tried called to police about me taking my cat (that she claims is hers, even though my mother rescued the cat and gave him to me). The police told her to get a lawyer and not to show up at my family's home or she would be arrested. She then claimed she was raped that night by a "friend" as a result of me leaving...

Her family has tried to manipulate me into calling her for the past week, but I have just continued to ignore all contact from her and her family. I blocked her on all social media. I also had her served with divorce papers last week. Only issue is that she has my car because she went to the body shop it was at and took it from there. My lawyer said this will only be a short term issue though. She will probably try to get the cat back, but with all the leverage I have, she would bury herself if she takes this all the way to court. She has had an affair with a co-worker, a DUI arrest and I have evidence of both. She would probably lose her job if she took this to court and her affair partner's wife would learn about it. So I am guessing this settles out of court, but who knows, she has gone completely mad.

Anyway, just thought I would update the thread that I did what needed to be done. It was not easy to walk away from a 10 year relationship, but at the end of the day, you need to make sure you are living a happy and healthy life. My wife made sure that doing that would never be the case if I stayed with her. She left me no choice. Cheers.

4. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    :50:went as far as to tell me that it would only be an affair if I think it is because to her it is not. So that if I just didn't think of it that way, it wouldn't be an affair. What?! Unreal. You can't argue with someone like that, you just have to realize it is done and leave them.

After I said I wanted to leave again in therapy, she begged me to stay and give us at least a little more time to work on things. She begged me to not give up. I agreed to give it one more week and talk things over one last time. The next day I discovered her texting the affair guy again. This time she openly admitted that they were texting those types of things again and that she prompted the texts this time. I asked her why, stating that doing that is not a great way to get me to stay. She told me "because I get something out of it. It fulfills a need I have." A day later I found text messages on her phone to him talking about how much she enjoys sucking his $**$ and asking him to film it next time. That was all I needed to prove what was going on.

I waited for her to go to work and circled back and packed up all my things and left without a word. I have not spoken to her or her family since. She melted down upon discovering I was gone. She made threats against my family and I and even tried called to police about me taking my cat (that she claims is hers, even though my mother rescued the cat and gave him to me). The police told her to get a lawyer and not to show up at my family's home or she would be arrested. She then claimed she was raped that night by a "friend" as a result of me leaving...

Her family has tried to manipulate me into calling her for the past week, but I have just continued to ignore all contact from her and her family. I blocked her on all social media. I also had her served with divorce papers last week. Only issue is that she has my car because she went to the body shop it was at and took it from there. My lawyer said this will only be a short term issue though. She will probably try to get the cat back, but with all the leverage I have, she would bury herself if she takes this all the way to court. She has had an affair with a co-worker, a DUI arrest and I have evidence of both. She would probably lose her job if she took this to court and her affair partner's wife would learn about it. So I am guessing this settles out of court, but who knows, she has gone completely mad.

Anyway, just thought I would update the thread that I did what needed to be done. It was not easy to walk away from a 10 year relationship, but at the end of the day, you need to make sure you are living a happy and healthy life. My wife made sure that doing that would never be the case if I stayed with her. She left me no choice. Cheers.[/QUOTE]
    proud of you mate.:50:.she sounds * toxic,let her be tht other * problem,i cant see him sticking it out forr long.youl find a good wummin who wont treat u like this.

seamus1967 likes this.
  5. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    proud of you mate.:50:.she sounds * toxic,let her be tht other * problem,i cant see him sticking it out forr long.youl find a good wummin who wont treat u like this.

6. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    aye sometimes it can be down to something simple,ive cut right down on my coffoe intake,i take a concotion of raw cacao and maca in the morning(both availible out of aldi,cheap.) and a niacin b3 in the morning,really notice the difference from the coffoe.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  7. leeso-ardoyne

Have you been doing the cold showers?

Wacky! Not a * chance! You see, that is what's wrong with society today. People give the body what it needs and people are conditioned into thinking they are nuts. Far from it. If you are feeling the benefits of this, imagine what your body and mind will feel like when you've rid yourself of as much toxins as you can while nourshing it with exactly what it needs. Easier said than done though.

:60:

seamus1967 likes this.
  8. Mince.Charming

The cold showers really work. I tend to wash with warm first then a minute of freezing cold. Started off with 20 to 30 seconds. I've been doing this for about a year. What a difference you feel when coming out, benefits your mental health, your skin and I don't think I've had the cold since.
    I should really try and do a bit longer now or cut out the hot part. Probably leave that for the summer.
    How long do you do ?

seamus1967 and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  9. leeso-ardoyne

HAve to admit ive lost the mental strength to do them! I would only have a freezing shower after i do the wim hof breathing 3 times for a few mins. My life is so * busy at the moment its ridiculous and cant seem to psych myself up for them. A bit of a wimp at the moment when it comes to them to be honest! It does take alot of mental strength to stay under a freezing cold shower for 5mins or more.Our bodies and mind re telling us to get the * out of there. I was hoping to build myself up for ice baths but with all this cold weather were getting, not a * chance im bouncing into an ice bath. Its the opposite, every night im getting toasted in a roasting bath. Just wish to * wed get the same health benefits with roasting baths as we do with ice. Roasting baths and im fit for * all haha!

Mince.Charming likes this.
  10. clonbhoy Banned!

Nothing is whacky when it comes to mental health. Whatever works for you, do it. If someone suggests something, try it. What's the worst that can happen? Go into it with an open mind, give it a fair go and if it doesn't work try something else.

I have battled with mine all my life and spent all my twenties thinking I was invincible and was cynical of any unusual suggestions to help myself, so I just kept bounding along between breakdown and breakdown, as you get older you realise that small things can change big things. If a cold shower has worked for you bhoys, tomorrow morning I will be trying it!
    Good tip on the magnesium too!

11. Mince.Charming

It's definitely harder this time of the year mate, I've been meaning to get into the breathing etc but I find sitting still and any sort of meditation hard. Even though I'm going from hot to cold. I still see massive benefits. Just a 30 second full body blast at the end makes a big difference.
    If you fill your sink up with freezing cold water too , put your head in up to the back of your ears. and hold your breath for 30 seconds . Do this a few times. It's said to have similar benefits and gets your body used to the cold water. I try and do this daily.

seamus1967 likes this.
  12. leeso-ardoyne

I hear ya on the 30secs but I'm an all or nothing. If I'm going to do it, I want to do it for a few mins. Listen, once I get my * together I'll be doing this daily along with back to training. Just need to structure my life better at the moment.

13. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    not for long periods of time,i have been doing them after a sauna or gym for maybe a minute max.

14. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Lynch lol
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Glad I came across this thread. I'll be trying the short cold shower.

15. Mince.Charming

Try 30 seconds at first and see how you feel, adding more time as your body gets used to it.
    It's a shock to the system at first and it's never something you look forward to once you get it done and you're out, you feel brilliant.
    Hope it helps you mate :50:

seamus1967 likes this.
  16. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Lynch lol
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    You're a star. I'll let you know how I get on. The meds are * :50:

17. leeso-ardoyne

It's about time people started realising this more. The meds are * poison!

clonbhoy likes this.
  18. clonbhoy Banned!

Meds should only be used in desperate situations, they are handed out far too easily. I know everyone is different and that they can work for some people, but so can lots of other things. Like most things in life, the easiest fix is rarely the best.

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Just to point out that the meds may well be toxic but if you are feeling at you lowest then you should contact your GP. If you find your sleep patterns all over the place and your not thinking straight then meds to get you sorted Is not a weakness. Speaking from experience all the natural methods are best for you but when you hit rock bottom then you need to sort it fast.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    seamus1967 and ChrisMoh like this.
  20. clonbhoy Banned!

I would argue this is well. Your experience may have been different, but being put on medication when I felt all over the place nearly killed me. There is a huge gamble with any medication because nobody can be 100% sure that it is the right medication, given you are all ready in dire straits, that is a huge risk.
    It is very rare that any medication for depression or anxiety will help with sleep, immediately at least. Any chemical enhancer adds more action in the brain, so taking a tablet makes your brain busier and as a result, your brain is more restless. Everybody gets anxious and distressed when they can't sleep and you can go from rock bottom to worse.

Now, I would counteract that by saying you should go to your GP when you know things aren't right, but question them. They are not infallible and the easy option for them is often the prescription pad, especially when they are busy.

seamus1967 likes this.