1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

CL: Celtic vs. Spartak (5/12 19:45)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Seosamh Máirtín, Dec 1, 2012.

Discuss CL: Celtic vs. Spartak (5/12 19:45) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

:56:

2. Dianbobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    Post of the year :56::56::56:

3. Seosamh Máirtín

Phew, what a relief it was to see Kris bury that final (and oh, so dubious penalty ) goal. We almost f'd it up! I expected better performances from this team in this group, actually. If we can get through the group stages playing like this, then I reckon we maybe have another surprise or two up our sleeves.

Unfortunately, I reckon we've used up all our luck, though. Like I've said before, investment is needed in the future. Izaguirre is constantly injured, we have practically no wingers (Forrest is another injury-prone player, and Commons is better through the middle {he's no athlete}, then there's Brown, etc...ugh), we continue to switch up our central midfield in a search for answers (Wanyama, Kayal and Ledley are probably our best bet), and we've looked bereft of ideas in the final third.

This has not been helped by not replacing Ki, Hooper playing below-par, Stokes being seriously injured, Samaras' importance continuing to be over-played, etc.

On the plus side, our central defence is the best it's looked since the O'Neill years!

4. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Izzy isn't constantly injured, he's been injured twice in his career here.
    Sammy's importance certainly isn't over-played, it was shown on Wednesday and some. I really think you're doing the team a disservice here, we were terrific in both Spartak games, and deserved the wins. The Barca games were tactical masterclasses, the only games you could say we didn't play so well in were the Benfica ones, and the first one probably had something to do with the fact that we started with 10 Champions League debutants.

5. jkel

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown,artur boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    holy goalie
    if it wasnt for sammy we wouldnt be even in the europa league!
    his contribution in all the games,was involved in the two goals on
    wed.and his goal in Moscow.

6. Seosamh Máirtín

I've loved his contribution, but we need more. And concerns remain for Izaguirre. He was guilty of being caught out of position, once again, and struggled to get back as he's unfit.

I'm looking forward to Forrest being more available in the new year, but we need to address other areas.

7. Doire_Bhoy

Brilliant. :56:

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Wednesday was a pretty busy day for me so I had to record the game and manage to avoid finding out the score until I could watch it later that night and boy did it make for a long day. But all worth it in the end.
    My biggest concern going into the game was with this young team as this was a type of big game which we had no experience of playing or knowing how to handle. Not only that but there was a level of expectation going in which wasn't there before. I think maybe that was part of the reason for why we were so tentative in that first half. We simply never got a real grip of the game and Spartak were playing well and value for being level.
    But credit to Lennon and the team. That was a really great second half mentally as much as with our play. They came out brilliantly but when the goal didn't come they kept their nerve and kept at it until we got the break for the penalty. I though it was impressive too mentally how easly we were able to see out that final 10 minutes or so once we went 2-1 up.
    All in all a truly superb achievement by this team and Neil Lennon to have now reached the last 16. So many great perfroamnces with players willingly to work their socks off and lay it on the line.
    Really I am still on cloud 9 with a big grin on my face even 2 days later.
    Well done to the team, Neil Lennon and the coaching staff and the support in the stadium. Everyone played their part in a great night for us all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  9. OC

Saved me some typing!

Great achievement by all players and staff, assembling a young and cheap (compared to rest of 15 teams in CL) squad and instilling strong mentality and attitude is just amazing.

Personally I would've been happy with EL and 6 games of irreplaceable experience for the team right after the draw, but it's great to see how far this team's gone.

10. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
  11. Cathairbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  12. BigWilly.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Mcgrain, Boruc, Jinky, Lubo, Di Canio, Ki, Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Bhoys of the Old Brigade
  13. Markusss

Just rewatched the game, splendid. I loved Charlie winding up the Sparts at the corner flag near the end. "HEY!!! COME OANNN!!!!!"

One thing I was wondering is, at full-time, how come Lennon wasn't bouncing around and losing it like normal? He just achieved the most remarkable thing with a young and cheap team. Thought his head would explode from joy.

14. ynwa1987

Haha anyone got a clip or a gif of Mulgrew?

Regards to Lennon probably a mix of things. It was a mixture of relief and ecstasy when we went through and we came within 15 minutes of blowing it.

Iv no doubt he was ecstatic but realises there's still a lot of work to do and wanted to send out the message that he's not the least bit surprised we qualified because he always had the belief that we could do it

15. Markusss

Yeah I should have realised, it did make him look very professional. Like a real Champions League manager. But I love it when he jumps around like he won the lottery

16. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Sounds plausible mate and I think he wanted to keep himself calm until he'd done the usual hand shake etc with the Spartak management team. I noticed that at the end on the tele (sad * here, watched it again when I got home) Mjallby and Parker go nuts and hug Lennon but he just keeps himself calm and walks straight over to the Spartak technical area.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think he was 100% sure of the Barca score.

18. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    Doin lines right now because of this match

19. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And going on TC while your doing lines shows you've learned from your mistakes...:icon_mrgreen:

20. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    Oh yes miss :icon_mrgreen: