1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Christianity is dying in Europe

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Mar 22, 2018.

Discuss Christianity is dying in Europe in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think a lot of people see an Asian looking brown person and just assume they're muslim, too.

s88 and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    The good news is that Onionism is on the rise,the latest studies done by the Spring Onion Council at a cost of over a million pounds states that Onionism has risen by 67% since a certain nutter joined this cool sight:56:

3. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

it doesn't surprise me at all. we are far developed in terms of science, we easily gather access to knowledge and our countries have been secularised for a while now. imho religion is a relict of the past and our progressive society is slowly moving on.

4. Lecs

I said it years ago, that religion has to evolve itself and somehow make itself more marketable if it wishes to experience longevity and continue to exist in future generations.

A lot of people I know as well seem to have their own relationship with some sort of supreme being, or some sort of personal belief system that they think will be their fate in afterlife. They don't often see the need for the formality of a religion.

Personally I am the most cynical * on the planet, I beleive you are born and you live then you die. In many ways I hope I am right, can't be arsed floating about with wings and white Pianos, bright lights and sunshine. I have woke up early for * years, give me a good sleep :56:

All jokes aside though, as long as you're nice to other folk and don't ram your views down other people's throats then you're sound with me. We all believe in our own *, and we all have our own way of getting through life, particularly dark days. So if it's *, or Allah or in my case salt and chili chips and curry sauce that gets me through then great. Just be nice :60:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  5. Sween

I agree. I think there are lots of pretty obvious things that religion should be leading the way on. Global poverty, the immigration crisis, and environmental issues are obvious ones. Basically a voice against rampant consumerism and greed. And to be fair catholic and protestant leaders have been increasingly vocal on these kind of issues.

But most focus still seems to be on things that feel neither here nor there to anyone outside the church. Is gay marriage sinful, should there be women clergy, or should people use contraception? Relative to the bigger issues these things wont convince anyone to sign up to being a Christian yet these things get more air time. To be fair to the churches the media play a role in what these choose to report and what they dont. But churches could do a lot more to appeal to people on real global moral issues than they currently do.

Lecs and StPauli1916 like this.
  6. Nasser

Islam will outgrow Christianity in UK eventually because it will have more people practising their religion and going to the Mosque. I think that is down to a number of things; manly the racial and religious segregation that goes on in the UK. Also the youth are not leaving their religion like Christian generations have because being Muslim has a cool factor to it at the moment, it's like being a rebel and you can claim a lot of victimhood from it. This is because The War on Terror has helped divide Muslims and non-Muslims and that mentality is not going to go anywhere.

I do think on the most part we are going to see a largely segregated Muslim community that will abide by their own rules and we will largely leave them to it, but when it comes to MP's and so on they will conform to western liberal views like Sadiq Khan who voted for gay unions and so on. There is not going to be mass civil unrest that some people are predicting between Muslims and non Muslims in UK.

Christianity will always be around, but it going to become a much smaller amount of people actually going to churches. The community based evangelical style plant churches I think will become the biggest churches, as they have understood that they need young people to grow and they go out their way to preach to younger folk and engage with them. I can see a time when humanism even overtakes Christian faith but that still a long way off yet. The Catholic Church seems like it's doing nothing to prepare for the empty churches and lack of priests either in the years ahead.

StPauli1916 likes this.