1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Play Off Round, 1st Leg: Celtic v Astana. 16th August 2017, 19:45. BT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Norm Peterson, Aug 11, 2017.

Discuss Champions League Play Off Round, 1st Leg: Celtic v Astana. 16th August 2017, 19:45. BT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Can't see Gamboa playing tbh.

2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think he'd be a good option to have there. Astana have some ridiculously fast players and lustig is pretty slow. Gamboa's pace would help a lot.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Think if he was thinking along those lines we would have seen him at some point Ralston seems to be ahead of him now.. Gamboa has had a hard deal imo looked good yet hasn't featured much..

The fact he's tried the Bitton-Simunovic partnership the last two league makes me think he's set on playing them v Astana..

Tried make Can a CB too.

4. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Only one word to describe this game - massive.

Gordon
    Lustig Bitton Jozo Tierney
    Brown Ntcham
    Forrest Rogic Sinclair
    Griffiths

Assuming no one new comes in between now and Wednesday.

Both what I think the team is likely to be and probably just about what I'd like to see. I said on the Bitton thread he's never a CB, but I think Brendan is going to persevere with him there, especially having played him there last night. Just needs a word in the ear to cut out the moments of slackness and lapses of concentration. To be honest as much as he's not a CB, I think it's as good as a coin toss between him and Ajer for who I prefer to start or not to start rather.

In terms of midfield, need to go with our strongest set up, which would normally include Armstrong alongside Brown. I think they built up a really good understanding of how each other plays last season and it paid dividends for us domestically. Ideally if Armstrong's contract is sorted by Wednesday then throw him in for Ntcham. But as long as it drags out, he needs dropped for someone committed to the club and as Brendan said tonight, it's been affecting him and there's no room for turned heads on the pitch on Wednesday.

Hayes, Benyu and potentially Armstrong for possible impact subs if needed but hopefully not.

Again, this is assuming no one comes in but really hope we get someone in the door even for another option from the bench.

Going 3-0. I think we'll do it.

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Does anybody know who is missing for them, if they're missing anybody at all? I know they lost an attacking midfielder to valencia, but it looks like kabanenga and twumasi will stay until after this play-off.

6. oh bhoy

Gordon
    Lustig jozo Tierney
    Forrest Mcgregor Brown ntcham hayes
    Sinclair
    Griffiths

7. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    We can't afford another Rosenborg game at home. We need a 2 goal win. I don't think conceding will kill us, but we need to go to Kazakhstan with a cushion. 2-0, 3-0, 3-1. Anyone of those results would get us through IMO.

Biggest worry is we don't have 2 CB's. Simunovic - duh. Bitton's been 50/50, and Ajer's been good but still only played 2 first team games for us. Out of the two, I think I'd go with Bitton honestly.

This is exactly the type of game where guys like Sinclair and Rogic will awaken. Can see them having big matches. I know McGregor's been favoured but I think it's imperative that big Tam gets a start. He can win this tie in the first half.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    At this moment in time I'd play Ajer ahead of Bitton.

They have a big, pacey, physical striker and I'd honestly fancy him to handle the task better than Bitton in his makeshift position.

Either that or move Lustig in one.

stubhoy07 and doctor venglos like this.
  9. Markybhoy

Actually quite worried about this tie now. Nae Dembele and the possibility of Bitton at centre back. That scares the * out of me. This is going to be a nail biter, I can see it now.

Random Review likes this.
  10. Heb Celt

Ajer has to start,has done nothing wrong in the games he's played so far,has warranted his place in the squad for the season.

11. Larsson'snose

We allowed to play with 12 players now, yeah?

12. Dirk_Diggler

We need a better atmosphere than what we had at rosenborg at home.... cant wait till wed just hope to * we perform and takeca lead of there

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  14. CFC.1

Gordon
    Lustig Jozo Ajer KT
    Brown Ntcham
    Roberts Rogic Sinclair
    Griff

And 3-0 Celtic

15. lockerbie-bhoy

did wee shudders no get done for that in a prestwick nightclub a few years ago?

16. deanoyvb7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People sing

Think UEFA wont be happy if we start with 12 players

17. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    If ajer does not start, I'd b happier with lustig at CB and gamboa or Ralston at RB. Anything but Bitton at CB.

Random Review and Markybhoy like this.
  18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We need to beat them by at least 2 and keep a clean sheet, they will be compact and use their big striker on the break since he's their top goalscorer and seem to rely on him for most goals.

Need to feed Griff so Rogic will be key, need Sinclair to be on form he's struggling with form so far. Ntcham will definitely start over Armstrong. Agree with everyone that Ajer should start, much more natural at the back plus his confidence in his passing is brilliant.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm glad last night we only won by 1 goal. We always seem to score alpt more the game after. I'd be worried if we won 7-0. Luckily players had an off night usually means the next game we pump who ever we play.

I'm calling it 4-1.

20. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Gordon
    Lustig Jozo Bitton KT
    Brown Ntcham
    Forrest McGregor Sinclair
    Griffiths

At home we should have more of the ball. Bitton is far superior to Ajer with the ball at his feet, our flair players do the job right then there should be less to worry about him defensively.
    McGregor has been excellent so far this season and I'm putting him in ahead of Rogic cause I believe he covers more ground. Having said that I've noticed Rogic doing a bit more work off the ball so far this season, that can only be a good thing. He's also basically our only game changer on the bench. Unless Roberts appears between now and then.
    Don't lets kid ourselves, this'll be tough and nervy. A win to zero will do me.