1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 2018/19

Discussion in 'World Football' started by StPauli1916, Jul 17, 2018.

Discuss Champions League 2018/19 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dmccourt95

Kinda looking forward to not playing the same teams all the time, would probably have finished bottom of that Ajax would pump us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Luz1904

Thank you very much, Beckenbauer! PAOK was not an easy opponent. We failed way too many chances at Estádio da Luz and complicated things for the second leg. Glad that the team showed more composure away and got a 1-4 victory after being 1-0 down. It means a great deal both historically and financially.

Historically, it means that we are past a dark ~10y period where we even failed to qualify to European competitions and are back to being regular in Champions League:
    • This will be our 9th consecutive CL participation. Only Real Madrid (21 and counting), Barcelona (15 and counting) and Bayern (11 and counting) have a better record.
    • We are consolidating our record as the second club with the most participations in the main European cup (1955 onwards): 1. Real Madrid (49 times); 2. Benfica (38 times) and 3. Bayern / Ajax (35 times). Celtic is in the top10 as well.
    Financially, we are tackling our debt and are the Portuguese club with the most equity (assets minus liabilities). UEFA considerably upped this year's CL money prizes (introducing a new money prize that rewards last 10y performances in European competitions) and to be out would mean that Porto could close the gap on us. We already racked 42.95M€ in CL this season:
    • 15.25M€ for participating in the group stage; plus
    • 27.70M€ for being the 8th best ranked club in CL as per last 10y performances in UEFA competitions.
    Now we can add potential wins (2.7M€ per win), draws (0.9M€ per draw), market pool and tickets to that 42.95M€. Reaching the first knockout round also grants an additional 9.5M€. If we manage to keep qualifying to the CL group stage, this with the new 40M€/y tv deal alone will allows us to reduce the debt without selling our assets (i.e., sell the best players every year). With a bit of ambition and luck, I truly believe we could dream to reach a semis of CL in ~5 years. We have the best youth academy in European football and should try to replicate Barcelona's success to some extent. We already let go Ederson (25y, City), João Cancelo (24y, Juventus), André Gomes (25y, Everton), Renato Sanches (21y, Bayern), João Carvalho (21y, Nottingham Forest), Bernardo Silva (24y, City), Gonçalo Guedes (21y, Valência) and Hélder Costa (24y, Wolverhampton Wanderers) to name a few, but the upcoming generation is just as strong (Rúben Dias, Florentino Luis, Gedson Fernandes, Tiago Dantas, João Filipe, João Félix or Umaro Embaló are some of the names that may be notorious in 3-5 years). I believe Benfica are in a good position to take a bit more risk and should take a step above its current strategy, offering good contracts to the young talents instead of selling them at the first 30+M€ offer and betting on reaching at least the quarter finals of the CL every couple of years. But I doubt it will happen. We will probably reduce our debt considerably over the next years while not taking advantage (on a sporting sense) of a golden generation of homegrown players.

3. Luz1904

Regarding today's draw,

[​IMG]

Glamorous and competitive enough for me. Benfica and Ajax will probably compete for the second spot, but I will not exclude AEK already. Switching AEK for Crvena Zvezda would make this the most glamorous group in recent years.

And I will leave you with Porto's groups since returning to the competition in 2011:
    2018 - Lokomotiv Moscow, Schalke 04, Galatasaray
    2017 - Besiktas, Leipzig, Monaco
    2016 - Leicester, Copenhagen, Club Brugge
    2015 - Chelsea, Dinamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel Aviv
    2014 - Shakthar Donetsk, Bilbao, BATE Borisov
    2013 - Atlético Madrid, Zenit, Austria Wien
    2012 - PSG, Dinamo Kiev, Dinamo Zagreb
    2011 - Zenit, APOEL, Shakthar Donetsk

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I watched Benfica V PAOK when Benfica were at home last week and Benfica played really well, should really have won I like the players Pizzi. Benfica should really have won it by a couple of goals. I think Benfica will probably beat Ajax and AEK, we played AEK and they a very dour boring defensive team who dont seem to mind drawing as long as they dont get beat they just constantly sit back and counter.

Ajax look quite decent but Benfica are probably better.

Luz1904 likes this.
  5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Each to their own but i am not watching this so called Champions League and in 5 or so years time it will be an even bigger farce,.uck the whole thing!

Rydo1888* likes this.
  6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hendrix is playing :eek1: It's Jimi's birthday today. That's portentous Leo o_O

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Tottenham look *

8. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

When the * did they start playing champions league games at 6? :giggle1:

9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :giggle1: That's what I was thinking, Barca as well at the Nou Camp.

We're starting at 8 :brendy:

10. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Kinda ruins it a bit for me, a big part of what made it special was that all the games were under the lights.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  11. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Definitely, beautiful sight seeing the sun set over Glasgow in Parkhead as the game's kicking off.

Atmosphere is missing here for sure, don't think it's the best time for the Spanish to go out either for them is it.

12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Why are they playing games already? Is it coz its still hot in Spain and Italy?

I like the cpl hours after work for the dinner and shower before I get the feet up :56:

Ah well Liverpool game was my game of choice tonight and it’s 7.45:50:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :eek1::eek1::eek1: Now that's what I call an atmospheric shot, Jimi would approve :56: :57:

14. Bonobhoy

A tournament as * as it is and now they playing games at 6pm.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Messi

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Christian Eriksen goal against Inter

Luis1967 and Lilac Wine like this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Think Handanovic has looked ropey.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Message from Red stars ultras to Uefa

[​IMG]

19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

TV revenue, extra advertisement space on TV channels can be sold now making more money for TV to pay UEFA

Luis1967 likes this.
  20. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    He's kept inter in it:43: