1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 2018/19

Discussion in 'World Football' started by StPauli1916, Jul 17, 2018.

Discuss Champions League 2018/19 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I only seen one angle, the cross coming in and it hitting LLortente on the side or at the very most a part of his arm which was closely tucked into his side like all professional players are told to do with their arms so they don't affect unnaturally the run of play. But it looked more like the Man City guy was closer to hitting it with his hand.

I don't think the ref needed too many angles to decided that wasn't handball by Spurs which was the original shout if I remember rightly?

2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Wow that looks so harsh, it was a Spurs player passing it back and because it deflected off a City player that meant Auguero was offside by like 1 inch? Jeez I would be sick if that happened to us.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Var playing a major part in the game.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye let's let a team go through with the help of an illegal goal, just so we don't ruin their joy.

If the right decision is made, then nothing else matters. And what about the Spurs fans? They went from desolation to euphoria - swings and roundabouts.

VAR is great for the game.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spot on.

Callum McGregor and Lilac Wine like this.
  6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm not clued up on the protocol so I'll believe you but doesn't it seem pointless if the ref in the broadcast room with many screen and many angles showing at normal, fast or slow speed can see the point of contention with almost complete clarity is only allowed to send one of those tv replays to the ref's VAR screen? Surely there must be buttons on the VAR screen that allows the ref to see what the ref in the TV broadcast room can see?

I thought it was that referee in the broadcast room who made the decision whether the referee should review it or not because he seen something that could be a possible infringement? I'm almost sure it's not the ref on the field who decides to go and check VAR?

The main question though is why would there by a ref in the broadcast room with access to many different angles in many different speeds and even the ability to pause the ball at the contentious moment if the ref on the field is only allowed to see the camera angle that is broadcast to viewers on TV?

I just don't understand the value of it and worse still what use is the ref in the broadcast room? My imagination says the ref in charge of VAR would send the footage to the on field ref and then he would have a better understanding of why the play is in doubt.

We really don't want a new informative technology turning into the emperor's new clothes because that might make it open to influence.

Fans at home should be able to see all the different angles so they understand and have faith the game is being run in the best interest of teams, players and fans who are the ones that make the game the most popular in the world.

We know there is corruption in all aspects of life especially when large amount of money or pride is involved but the last think football needs is tv cameras showing bad decisions without the officials being able to do anything about it.

The refs must like it because it would lessen the amount of abuse they get and the fans would feel it is a lot fairer that they are taken seriously whether big teams and small teams.

Going to be weird celebrating though, I mean what if it was a goal in the last minute of extra time in a final, would be such a werid conflict of emotion, like when Tony Watt scored, was there even one Celtic fan waiting to see if it was maybe offside? :rofl:

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He doesn't score with his arm tho.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Going on about seeing his skin move was making a * of himself, if there was clear contact then why’s he going on about skin?

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I’m telling you it was inconclusive that’s why they didn’t disallow it.

JC Anton likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye so you say, they have every angle available probably more than you and I see. But you carry on.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think every angle showed it glances accidentally off his arm first, but it's his thigh that puts the ball in the net.

For me it's different from scoring with your hand.

Anyone know what the actual rules of the game say on that now? Aguero scored with his hand, accidentally in the EPL this season, would that have been ruled out with VAR? Think it would have.. but can't seem to find the rule for what happened last night

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I'm inclined to agree with the other poster, I think most viewers had a pretty good view of what Cakir was viewing on the monitor - he seemed fixated on the other angles/views that did not reveal it hitting the elbow first. And for me, it clearly hits the elbow first even if it subsequently goes off the thigh/hip into goal

VAR is needed but there are surely kinks to work out. There are even rules on what speed to view the replays depending on the incident but I'm not sure it is always used like that.

AS’s resident referee Iturralde González commented: ”It hits his hand first then his hip and the UEFA instructions are clear: you can't score if it hits your hand, even if it’s involuntary. It doesn't matter if the elbow is tight to the body. If it happens to a defender it's not a penalty, but if it's an attacker it has to be disallowed. Rossetti has told the UEFA referees.”

He added: "Irrati (the VAR) - the number one VAR official - advises Çakir because he's seen a hand. When Çakir comes back from seeing the images he tells the players 'I didn't see anything. It hit his thigh.' They didn't play him the view from behind where you can see it hits the elbow. The error from the VAR is not showing the two key images. Why? The question is getting it right, not how long it takes."

AS’s resident ref's conclusion: "Manchester City are out because the VAR wasn't used properly".

Nevertheless, football eh? What a game

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. Nasser

Great to see the Oil team out, Pep was getting too big for his boots as well much like Mourinho. Two exciting semi-finals.

14. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    First time I've actually enjoyed a game with VAR I think.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    United will regret giving Solskjaer the job instead of going all out for Pochettino...

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Here’s every angle in one clip, two of them are inconclusive imo.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

* VAR....totally ruins the moment and takes the fun out of the game.

Only reason the English absolutely obsessed over it until it was introduced was because of Lampard's 'goal' against Germany in 2010.

Still glad Spurs beat those * though.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  19. James Gold Member Gold Member

Not a fan of VAR either I don't get how it takes a referee twenty views of something that has to be deemed clear and obvious

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Wanyama and Van Dijk in the Semis.