1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Celtic vs The Rangers, Scottish Cup Semi Final April 17th, 12pm SKY SPORTS 2

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Dáibhí, Mar 7, 2016.

Discuss Celtic vs The Rangers, Scottish Cup Semi Final April 17th, 12pm SKY SPORTS 2 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Tbh, what worries me more than anything, is our lack of passing ability, not just yesterday, we are even shown up against SPL teams at the moment.

Rangers were far and away better on the ball than us, we did have plenty of chances, technically not really cutting them open, but our passing ability is absolute horrid.

Defo need a new manager to instill a bit of ability in this, there are players who just can't cut it in passing, but there are some who can develop this side of our game with new management.

2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just looked, 63% possession for them, ffs, that must be the worst ever surely in one of these games.

Now I just feel sick.

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We can pass, we just did not do it. Effective defensive play by the undead 11 induced nervousness in a player who can be a Pirlo Mk II on his normal day, Biton. Meanwhile, we had nobody to take the ball from them.

4. TimFloyd Gold Member

Yep, told her to pretend she was Kenny Miller and I slid across the room and snapped her.

2000 baht

Good price

:smiley-laughing002:

5. murphy88

That's the whole point. He didn't press alone, he was backed up by the players behind him. Something we failed to do all game, hence why they were allowed to play out from the back with ease.

6. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

:56:
    Was she orange? And old as *?

7. thomohoq

Everyone that has watched Sevco knows that the fullbacks are the main danger so to line-up with a kid thats played about 10 pro games on one side and an utterly spineless shitebag on the other was surely asking for trouble. It didnt help that our central 3 were bossed by those household names Ball and Halliday. Just second best, all over the park.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    And bald..

9. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    anbody see that clip of the turf moving fs :31::56:

10. Jayhawk

FFs - I've seen a close up of the last penalty and the way the ball lifted off the ground as he was about to strike it! What a joke.

We were 2nd best on the day but at least let's play on a decent surface .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

11. Henke102

they had basic tactics and mainly were raping us down our right side where Lustig was exposed and not receiving enough cover from the midfield. Then either sending a cross ball in or looking for the foul as seen for their first goal.

Big Erik coming on helped nullify that threat though once he got up to pace, and he was solid for the rest of the game. Do not understand why we held off them and allowed them so much possession. Also Scott * Brown making Halliday look like a superstar was a tough one for me to take, and it is clear that he needs a rocket up his * or dropped as he is not the hard man he thinks he is anymore. Times like yesterday I wish we still had big Wanyama in our team would have easily dominated the central mid yesterday

12. murphy88

Had the park been churned up like last year, it would have actually suited us more.

13. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Had some time to stew over the events of yesterday.

1st half was pretty much summed up by Roberts miss. Bad decision making and bad execution of technique. We had the team wanting to press high early on and because the Zombies were being successful playing out from the back, half the team dropped off and the other half continued to press. This allowed them time on the ball and space to pick passes. Down both flanks Lustig and Tierney were left exposed by those in front.They didn't do anything complicated going forward,we just didn't apply ourselves well enough to deal with the situation. For example, the two Huns full backs would play a simple 1-2 with the wide player and then run inside the full back for the return pass. For the majority of the 1st half, neither of our centre-backs read the situation until Sviatchenko did after coming on. Our Central midfield was dragged out of position and they were made to look better than what they are. Up front Miller played as he always has and yet had two occasions(one after about 3 mins)in which he scored from one. For the goal, we allowed the guy on the ball pick a pass. Mulgrew stepped up a few yards ready to intercept the ball but Brown stuck a leg at it and deflected it into the path of Miller. Had Mulgrew held his position, he probably would have dealt with the situation. Boyata didn't react quick enough to either Mulgrew vacating the space or Miller. An avoidable situation down to a number of bad decisions.

While they kept possession of the ball, we continually gave it away and wasted chances to attack. Bad decisions and poor execution let them off the hook. Griffiths had a wee half chance when played in on the left hand side of the area and we had a few efforts on goal blocked, by the Hun players who were willing to do all that mattered to win. Then came the biggest moment of the game. For the half we played 2nd fiddle,we could and should have been level at half time. First of all some good work by Griffiths finding himself the space to get away a shot which hit the post. Unlucky not to score but Roberts made the bad decision and inexcusably missed an open goal. It was a chance for him to redeem himself and the team from a poor showing in the 1st half. Like the others who had the opportunities later on, they failed to do so.

Felt sick to the stomach at halftime with what I had witnessed. Against a team who aren't that good for me,although they worked harder and kept the ball better from defence to midfield.

2nd half started with something which we hadn't done the whole game. Built up some pressure on the Huns defence. A succession of corners and they wilted to an equaliser. Good header from Sviatchenko, someone who at that point was going to be missing the final. Shown a lot more desire than those around him. However after building that pressure and changing the impetus of the game,we failed to build on that. Instead we allowed them to compose themselves and regain a foothold on the game. We again contributed to our own eventual downfall by repeatedly making the wrong choice with the ball in positive situations.

Their 2nd goal came from a * up. Thomson over-ruling the linesman,even though his view was obstructed by bodies. However the boy finished it very well from 30 yards into the top corner. The 1st shot they had on target since they took the lead after 20 odd minutes. Again we were left chasing the game. Yet we responded well and with a well worked goal. Tierney got to the by-line and chose(and played) the right pass with cutback to Rogic who finished well into the bottom corner. For me we took control of the game after that. Mulgrew and Sviatchenko weren't troubled by Clark and they didn't create many opportunities to test Gordon. However we continued to let ourselves down with the choices on the ball. Mulgrew had a good chance with a header but missed the target and from a few others we couldn't get the break needed. Holding onto the ball instead of playing a pass and vice-versa. Griffiths who like some of his teammates appeared injured, almost won the game with his free-kick. Unfortunately it was an opportunity they escaped from.

So it was to penalties. Gordon who had never saved a penalty prior to yesterday, made a good stop from Clark and was unlucky with Mckay’s penalty sneaking over the line. However like the previous 90 and extra time. We failed to take advantage. Brown with a poor penalty easily saved and McGregor hitting the bar. It came down to Rogic to keep us in it again. Unfortunately for arguably one of the better technical players in our team, his standing foot slipped prior to his left foot making contact with the ball and it ended our interest in this competition. Also a good chance it will end Ronny Deila’s time at Celtic.

I’ve seen folk say it was a convincing win for the Huns. In very basic analysis, winning a game on penalties isn't convincing. Stats favour them in possession,which was in areas of little danger backed by the lack of work Gordon had to make in the game. What was more convincing, everyone of their starting 11 worked hard and contributed to the game. The same cannot be said for us.

You can blame the manager for the latter but players have the ultimate responsibility in the say so of the game. Yet not for the first time this season the players have let the themselves down and Ronny down, they’ve put his position at the club under great/ probably terminal threat. As for Ronny, well a few things from yesterday and mainly the disjointed 1st half raise issues. The players either simply didn't believe in the high pressing and purposely dropped it from the gameplay. Either way,Ronny has to take responsibility for that. It's yet another high profile game where it's not worked out this season.

It's a good chance Ronny will be a double league winner and be out of the job next season.

Responsibility for our club being in that position can be attributed to a whole host of people at the club.

14. Jayhawk

When you take an important penalty and the turf moves it doesn't suit anyone.

15. murphy88

We were lucky to get to penalties given how we had played. We had 120 minutes to win the game, and two chances to go ahead in the penalty shoot-out, and failed to do so. We went out, and deserved to do so. They were the team that played more football, and that is embarrassing. The pitch was actually in a good condition, which was surprising given it had not long been laid.

16. Lecs

* the turf, that championship side had no trouble running * rings around us for over 90 minutes on it. The players and the management should be * ashamed of themselves.

17. Jayhawk

My point is the surface of the laid pitch on the last Celtic pen and how the ball moved as he was about to strike it. I think you have to view it to see what happened.

I know we didn't deserve anything yesterday.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    This.

19. murphy88

I've seen the penalty, and I've seen the ball moving. My point is, there was 120 minutes of football played prior to that in which we could have won the game, but we didn't.

20. Jayhawk

That's got HeeHaw to do with this incident. I said we were 2nd best on my first post.

Anyway I really think we should concentrate on getting this game replayed because of the bad pitch instead of arguing.