1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Celtic vs Lincoln Red Imps 2nd Leg

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by James, Jul 12, 2016.

Discuss Celtic vs Lincoln Red Imps 2nd Leg in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

Same....

Getting my moneys worth.... Pity there's no more goals this half :54:

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Hibs and the sheep the morra night. :smiley-laughing002:

3. Keano88

So it is!

& Most likely next weeks game in Kazakh :party048:

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm away on Tuesday. :54:

I'm sure I'll get a bar in Salou though.

5. Keano88

Take the sky dish and box :smiley-laughing002:

Nah, sure you'll find somewhere mate :50:

6. walkon

Roasted them the the first 30 mins. As we should have. Played like we should. Disappointed a bit in the 2nd half as should have annihilated them with more goals. Job done though. Push on give it a month or so n we should be getting near to what we should've doing week in week out.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think that too. :50:

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

A touch of class at the end of the game when we applauded off both of the Red Imps substitutes, (one of them called Antonio Calderon :smiley-laughing002: I'm sure it's not the same one).

Both of them acknowledged the crowd. Love that sort of thing.

Giblraltan(?) football seems to be on the up.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Done himself no harm whatsoever.

10. GavCFC1

First half was outstanding and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Paddy Roberts is a special talent

11. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Thought it was great when they put on three subs in 88th minute. Can only have been to sample the occasion

12. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Miles better than the first leg. Could easily have been 5 up at half time.

From the off the players were spot on and you began to see the differences between the teams. Our players were quicker to react to situations and read the game better than the opposition. Couple of half chances, shot off the bar and as the pressure began to build, we even managed to create gaps in the lines of Lincoln defence. Forrest took the ball at 1st opportunity and stoated past the right back, meanwhile Roberts had already given his opponent the dizzy and drew a yellow card. It was constant pressure but also quality passing and slick combination play.

In a 9 min spell we were 3 ahead and should have been more. The penalty that was given and then wasn't, was surprised myself when the ref gave a penalty. Wasn't totally convinced but my mate text me to say it was in the box. Lustig with a fine finish which was backed up by Griffiths and Roberts the pick of the bunch. From 29 minutes on till full-time we controlled the game, even Lincoln seemed content with the situation as well. 2nd half wasn't at the same level and ultimately didn't need to be, yet we still had chances to add too the score line. Griffiths passed up a few identical opportunities(unlucky with another effort into the side-netting) likewise Dembele and Sviatchenko(possibly Lustig) had a free header late on.

Satisfying display for me and while the intensity dropped after the 3rd goal. More pleasing is that we have plenty of potential for improvement, be it with current squad members and new signings whenever they arrive.

Defensively we coped easily with all but one occasion. A similar pass to which we lost the goal in the 1st leg, was eventually dealt with by Sviatchenko. For me, Gordon was far too deep in his 18 yard box. Lustig got on the scoresheet, Sviatchenko mopped up and matched the lone forward which allowed Tierney(and Lustig) to join in the attacking effort. Scott Brown also contributed to the defensive effort flitting in between roles. Delivered a few quality switches to Roberts early on. Much better from Brown. Also much better tonight was Armstrong, couple of driving runs from midfield and linked well with those around him. McGregor slightly less prominent, however was tidy and efficient with his contribution. Roberts and Forrest added some pace and trickery on the wings, the ability to have players who can influence games in 1v1 situations is priceless. Forrest tailed off in the 2nd half and was replaced, looks to be threatening to show he can be a quality player. Roberts also dropped out of the game for a while in the 2nd half, however when on the ball it was a joy to watch.

Griffiths scored and by his own admission should have had 2 or 3 more. Linked well occasionally with Dembele, but his better work came with those whom he has played with over the last few seasons. Dembele is understandably off the pace in terms of his link play and at the moment is over thinking himself in front of goal. Potential is definitely there but doesn't have the understanding with those around him.

As for Lincoln, they had there moment in the sun in the 1st leg. Difference in quality was apparent early on tonight and even when they went 3 down, they never really altered the game plan. Understandable given the standing they have. Was impressed with the goalkeeper again, had a couple of real quality saves in the 1st half. Also the number 88 shown some lovely touches on the ball and awareness of those around him.

1st time seeing us live and was pleased with what I saw. I see plenty of room for development. Good to see a very healthy attendance and vocal backing of the team(supplemented with the odd * as always).

The level of opponent will be another step up and brings with it new challenges. Feeling pretty positive tonight about what I've seen.

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

To be fair to the linesman my immediate thought before seeing a replay was it was outside the box. It was clearly inside though and I'm not paid handsomely to make those decisions.

Shocking overrule.

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Must admit, was hoping for a better 2nd half than that. I though we were pretty poor. 1st half was excellent though. More of that please :50:

15. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    The overrule part is what I didn't get. Thought the ref had the better view of the incident, yet he chose the opinion of his linesman on the opposite side of the pitch.

Will have a look at the highlights tomorrow.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

2nd half was controlled really, plus we're 3 or 4 weeks into it. The tempo and pace will be more extensive in the months to come.

17. The Celtic Way

iniesta got it too and yet some people complained

18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Aye I'm not worried about it, would have been nice to see us come out in the 2nd like we did in the first, but it wasn't to be. It wasn't the most exciting half though. Didn't help that I was in the Lisbon Lions Upper, so didn't have the best view for the 2nd :smiley-laughing002:

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I always think that was partially aimed at Neymar:

Don't go thinking you're getting booed because it's a hostile crowd that don't appreciate good football; you're getting booed because you're a c***.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ufff, what about the poor * in the JS? All the good stuff happened in the first half!