1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Celtic v Dundee (Wednesday - 04/04/18 - 19:45 GMT)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Mar 31, 2018.

Discuss Celtic v Dundee (Wednesday - 04/04/18 - 19:45 GMT) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nah the fact we looked unbeatable. Quite a few did as you say think it'd go on forever but there was a fragility about the defence and we weren't scoring anywhere near as many goals as last season. There was no way we'd have been able to keep that up but I think there was an element of complacency that has led to us stagnating.

Many thought the January transfer window would bring a fresh impetus and competition but it's been more miss than hit. Bain looks good, Hendry after waiting for a while for a chance is looking good, Compper isn't anywhere to be seen and Musonda after a long, public chase and arriving with a fanfare...has barely been played.

We're potentially only a handful of games away from making history and to some it might seem hypercritical to point out flaws but given that Aberdeen have taken 0 points against us and them and that the Govan mob have had an absolute howler, we should be further ahead than we are. Of course being one goal ahead or 39 points ahead end with the same outcome but if we are serious about progressing, particularly in Europe, then we need to set the benchmark higher than being 10 points ahead of a distinctly average Aberdeen side that constantly bottles it and a horrendous Sevco side that is dropping points basically every single game.

2. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Typical mid week game had 0-0 all over it within the first 20 mins.
    Dundee give them a bit of credit though had their game plan stuck to it and kept it tight, made it difficult didn’t make too many mistakes .
    Think that’s reality now . We are going to get this more and more particularly at cp teams sitting in. Everyone knows if they come here to play we are winning 99% of the time so they are going for the draw .
    We need to work on our corners, far too many wasted .

3. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Stu is showing some consistency on a positive note

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Our league form hasn't been consistent all season. That's the problem.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, consistently returning throw-ins 8 feet in the air.

6. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Well that was pish.

Not many highlights at home this season, that's for sure.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe the new pitch is cursed bro :eek1: that Kentucky blue grass maybe?
    Might be onto something .

In all seriousness though I agree 100% still unbeaten at home domestically which is Fantastic

8. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Reading you trying to spell out an argument is giving me a headache and I’m still unsure of the point you’re trying to make.

Of course we’re going to get compared to SPL teams as unfortunately we’re in a league with eleven of them. But we should be at a far higher standard than anyone else in the division.

People are having a go at the team for not being able to beat dross like Dundee for the umpteenth time at home this season with the team we have. Is that difficult to understand?

A previous poster responded by saying we’re top of the league so what more do you want? Well being top of this league doesn’t mean we’ve had a fantastic season unfortunately.

I want us to be challenging against better teams in Europe, therefore we should be winning the league and winning it well. Our play should be fluid and entertaining and we should be showing signs of developing as a team.

So because I’m saying as a club we should be aiming well above the standard of team in this league does that mean I’m not allowed to judge the team when we play poorly against one of the mediocre teams in the league we happen to be in?

To answer your question I really don’t think we’ve progressed a lot this season. Last season was going to be impossible to match in terms of results but our overall performance level this year is nowhere near that of last season and you’ve got your head in the sand if you think otherwise.

paulo123 likes this.
  9. BroxBhoy94

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ONE NEIL LENNON
    It's alright lads, just wait until the team gets back from Dubai. They'll be well up for the rest of the season.

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Really should be playing two up front at home against utter cross like Dundee..

11. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Thought Armstrong was excellent against Ross county
    Thought he had a terrible game tonight
    Celtic had 27 shots on goal tonight yet a don't remember their goalie making 1 great save that's very poor

packybhoy likes this.
  12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Is it?

Teams come here knowing the best they'll get is a point. They park the bus. I haven't seen many decent games where one team parks the bus in the hope of squeezing out a draw. Not just against Celtic. Especially when a team has that mentality before a ball is kicked.

You may say that with our finances and team we should be unlocking those defences. We have been. That's why we're top of the league by a distance.

I'm not saying that we're excused from criticism for the draw either but to start slating our form in general at home and crying because McCourt didn't get the performance he wanted to see. Give me a break.

Win trophies at any cost. Any performance. I don't care as long as we get that double treble. Anything else is a bonus. It's too late in the season to start quibbling about performances not being great at home. Wait until the end of season when we see what we have achieved.

Spring Time likes this.
  13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Yes I am happy with the progression the team has made overall under Brendan. Aren’t you?

You give me a bigger headache by talking *. See the question I asked in bold above, you must be answering a different question.

I will type this slowly for you. You were comparing us to the other teams in the spl then saying we shouldn't compare or use them as a guider.

I still assume (because you're a bit slippy) that you don't rate a double treble because it's against domestic teams.

I would have been over the moon a couple of seasons ago if I knew we would be where we are now, being managed & run
    as we are. In actual fact I still am.

14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We are at a higher standard than the rest of the SPL. We're at the top of it. Harder to get much more higher than that. If you're talking point-wise. At the start of the season,
    I'd bite your hand off for winning by a point or by 50 points.

Complain away about drawing to Dundee et al. You're allowed to do it. I don't understand why you think that people can't contradict that. I'm disappointed too but we can't win them all.

I view progression in Europe and a trophy count to be a successful season. We have no * given right to win the league and I think some people forget that. Just because of our team, manager and finances means we're heavy favourites. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

Doing well in Europe doesn't mean we have to do well domestically. It means we do well in Europe. Real Madrid have been doing poor domestically but are sizzling in Europe. Usually, a team has to sacrifice one or the other. We've progressed in Europe. Champions league group stages and European football after Christmas. That's what we all wanted in preseason. We got it.

I don't think anyone is saying that this is a blistering season on the park. There have been flashes of it though.

And like you said, last season was impossible to match in performances. Treasure it for what it was.

I think everyone judges progression on continue to dominate domestically and progress in Europe. We've met some objectives already, and we're still on target for the rest.

I'd love us to play fluid football most games but I'm also a realist, however eye-watering some games may be.

Spring Time and Doogs. like this.
  15. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    The fact that we haven't won 4 games in a row all season is worrying.

16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’ve just seen the stats.

26 attempts at goal, 7 on target.

Genuinely didn’t feel like that, at all. I remember a few wayward efforts and Ntcham’s powderpuff passback. And here’s me thinking we didn’t have many chances, jeepers :84:

@Minty

Spring Time and Callum McGregor like this.
  17. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Could be worse. We could have the form the Huns...

Tongue-in-cheek comment before people start to jump on that.

18. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Aye could obviously be worse but after 32 league games we haven't won 4 games in a row. Personally I think this is a concern considering the talent we have at our disposal and the dross we play in this league.

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Is there a trophy awarded for it?

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We won 6 games in a row, in all comps, in August.

In September we beat Ross County, Dundee, Sevco and Arderlecht in a row.

We won 4 games in a row in January in all comps.

I know we haven't won 4 games in a row in the league, but as long as we're going to win the league I don't see why it matters?

Hammy89 likes this.