1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Celtic v Anderlecht: Tues 05/12/17, 19:45. Bt Sport ESPN

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Dec 2, 2017.

Discuss Celtic v Anderlecht: Tues 05/12/17, 19:45. Bt Sport ESPN in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    After about 18 hours to think about it, I really think the players just shat it due to the occasion and importance of not collapsing. Very rigid and uncreative performance.

Getting the starting 11 badly wrong also set us back. Think we would have won if we started ntcham and Griffiths to be honest, but we were still outplayed.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  2. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That post wasn't actually aimed at you Jungo, must have replied to wrong post. To be fair though i never said Anderlecht deserved to go through instead of us.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

First half was horrific but for me, we were the better team in the second half. Lot more urgency, able to take the ball into feet and started linking better and making things happen.

That exchange between Dembele and McGregor would have been on CL goals of the week if Dembele could have converted it. Difficult chance though.

4. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    That was our first ever time qualifying for the Champions League, of course we were ecstatic. In qualifiers it doesn't really matter as long as you get through but when it's a Group format it's obviously different.

Losing all 3 home games is a joke that I never thought I'd see happen. I remember Celtic Park used to be intimidating, we'd boo everytime the opposition touched the ball, it's a carnival atmosphere now which most visiting sides revel in and that's showing in the results. 6 home games without a win just isn't acceptable, the belief of beating any side at home is long gone.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We took City all the way, we played the best possession football I've seen from a Celtic side against a powerhouse against Bayern. That's before you mention the CL qualifiers at homoe which are every bit as important as group games.

It's not as black and white as you make out.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    If we really were that scared of conceding three at home then Rodgers has some work to do with the players mentality,
    other than PSG there has been no team during Rodgers time that's came to Celtic Park and scored 3 or more without reply so its not like the players had * up in a similar situation before that was on their minds.

Do we lack such self belief that we thought we didn't have the ability to go out and perform like we usually do without conceding 3 goals? if we'd scored even one goal then the tie would have been beyond them.

Not suggesting we should have gone gung ho from the start but over the 90 mins we rarely tested their keeper, think Forrest had that shot from outside the box and Dembele was unlucky with one but that was it.

7. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

the circumstances of this game meant that we should have protected the ball better and built a base to attack from, however this protecting the ball from european opponents seems to be a very difficult task at times for us and not for the first time although wednesday night was shocking

we also traditionally like other uk teams, for some reason, play better in a high tempo, maybe its the cold and wet climate that when we play quicker gets us buzzing but its important at the same time to still protect the ball even with quick tempo

8. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    If buts and maybes. If we had played our A game would they have beaten us? Maybe not. The fact is we were * and they were * at home. We deserved to go through.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Let's not bullshit here: while not the most disappointing night ever (we're through) and hardly on the same planet of painfulness as the PSG game at CP; it is by far the most worrying and it's probably no coincidence that for the first time BR questioned the players.

It seems to me that we have a mentality problem now, a real lack of belief and actually, when you stop to think about it, it's not really surprising. We got the absolute floor wiped with us in 3 games and have broken new records for heaviest defeats. I never, ever thought I'd see what PSG did to us happen to us at CP. I'm still in shock now TBH. Now if you think about it, we are a relatively young side and add to this that Brendan's style requires a good deal of courage to play, these big hits we've taken have an effect.

People have pointed out that one 10 million signing won't suddenly make us competitive; but maybe that's not quite right. I tend to think a real talisman could have an effect well beyond his own talents by giving the rest of the players belief again.

I hope I'm just being melodramatic here; but I actually think the next 2 windows could make or break Brendan's project here. He needs to get belief back into the team and fast. I'd hate to see this team end up like a young boxer with all the potential in the world who never reaches his potential because his coach puts him up against the big guns too early for the money and he gets a few pastings and never really recovers to reach his potential.

10. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Most scunnered with Tuesday's performance since Sevco beat us on pens 2 seasons ago. PSG pumpings were tough to take but just about expected, but fans paying good money & travelling hundreds of miles to see us meekly accept a 1-0 defeat at home to Anderlecht isn't acceptable. Don't remember a home game where we created so little decent chances, we put Areola under more pressure.

If we were in any way in fear of losing a 3-0 lead the player's mentality is all wrong. What a contrast from Astana, confidence has zapped from so many players since then.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Rosenborg at home probably. Dodgy game we should probably have lost with the chances they missed but we didn't play a striker if I remember right and had a makeshift defence as well. Again, understandable when all taken in to account..

Before that it'd be Gladbach at home which was different for me as they were/are a good side and played some really good football. Anderlecht for me were * and punch drunk..

Anderlecht was worse than both of those..

GazF1888 likes this.
  12. Maxie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Hey hey, it's St. Petersburg in February !!! See ya all there dudes, wey hey..!:ynwacelti