Celtic supporting pride weekend in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Ron Swanson, Jul 14, 2018.

Discuss Celtic supporting pride weekend in Glasgow in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla “Hold on. They’re lithium.” Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    anusceltic67

Tim-Time 1888 and Officer Doofy like this.
  2. angusceltic67

You have a point, but do you not find it strange that among the older population the figures reduce drastically and yet they are the people who have had far more time to explore and decide their sexual orientation.

3. Tim-Time 1888 Winner UEFA Champs League Last 16 prediction comp Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Did someone mention rainbow flags ....

[​IMG]

Westlondonscot likes this.
  4. angusceltic67

Am I supposed to get triggered with all this * :giggle1:

5. Ron Swanson 2 x BOTB winner Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current: Griffiths, All time: Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It's not strange at all, the older you are the more likely you are to have been brought up in an environment where homosexuality was seen as a negative. People are products of their environments.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. horseshoe

We're a club open to all. Except the people I don't like.

7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    No, I don't find it strange.

8. angusceltic67

And today's kids are a product of today's environments/education, leave them to figure it out for themselves when they become adults and they would get on just fine IMO.

In the UK homosexuality has been legal for decades and even before that people of that orientation would have sought out and found avenues to fulfill their sexual urges I'm sure. I would say people instinctively know if they feel attracted men/women or whatever, this has nothing to do with education.

9. Ron Swanson 2 x BOTB winner Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Yes, thankfully they’re much more open minded and their sexuality has nothing to do with what they’ve been taught.
    The history of the decriminalisation of homosexuality, and the timeline of rights given to LGBT people, are much more nuanced than this vague claim. The original decriminalisation in 1967 (only in England and Wales), only extended to acts in private. It wasn’t until 1980 that it was decriminalised in Scotland, and 1982 in Ireland. It was even later that you could be openly gay in the armed forces, and not until this decade when same * marriage became legal. So please don’t try and fob anyone off by pretending it’s been all ok for gays “for decades”, because it hasn’t. That report I linked you shows the level of discrimination still happening.

No, often this isn’t the case. I can only assume you haven’t spent any time in the company of anyone from the LGBT community because it isn’t always instinctively/consciously known.

Where education comes in, is that younger people are more likely to feel more comfortable expressing their sexuality, than an older person who was brought up being taught it is wrong.

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  10. Valhalla “Hold on. They’re lithium.” Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Surely if it’s instinctively knowing and nothing to do with education then it won’t ‘confuse the young folks’?

You’re tripping yourself up here.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  11. angusceltic67

Well I would argue that it's the current education curriculum that has produced the poll findings like the one I posted earlier. We have seen several cases of Kids being allowed to have their Genital mutilated only to realize later that they have made a big mistake, education done that, not the kids.

The point I was making was that people have a basic understanding of what sexual orientation they are regardless of when it became legal or more generally accepted.

One of my Sisters is Gay, does that count :giggle1:

We have actually talked about this sort of stuff several times, she said she knew really from when she was in her early teens, before that it was more of a confussion.

That's the point I'm making, kids are being bombarded with all this stuff when they are going through major hormonal changes etc, are they even in a position to make any kind of informed decisions about this stuff?

12. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Couldn't have responded better, McFly. Thank you, and HH!

Imagine a club like Celtic having this kind of internal strife around "the Irish issue" (and yes, I'm of Irish descent). It's astounding that we're even having this conversation in 2019.

rhydo1888 and Marty McFly like this.
  13. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Your arguments would be more convincing if you didn't rely on the social engineering strategy of "social proof" (i.e., "4 out of 5 of my token gay friends told me *")...

Furthermore, this isn't even a good example of the enforcement of political correctness (which is a separate and serious problem pertaining to the policing of language norms and cultural critiques rather than promoting and including folks who are traditionally excluded from most societies around the world -- this is a global sport, and it's important we set the right inclusive tone, I think).

If we're talking about political correctness in different suppressive scenarios, we may have something to talk about, and it's likely that we may find much common ground. However, this is an instance where the club is supporting a group of traditionally marginalized folks and saying, "HH, you're welcome here, too." The sport as a whole needs it, along with racial, religious, and gender inclusion. What's wrong with saying: you belong here, too... ?!

I won't dive into this deeply, because we can both agree that it is off topic, but I'm not letting this totally slide by without correction because it affects me directly - As pointed out to you by others, being gay is NOT legal in Russia - it's easily conflated with "promoting homosexuality," which was recently criminalized. You clearly have no concept of how human rights are subtly and not so subtly pressured (in the LGBTQ context, because you don't experience that), which is incredibly ironic given that I know that you get this in the limited context where human rights DO affect you.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  14. Ron Swanson 2 x BOTB winner Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The claim you made with the poll doesn’t quite match up to the information contained inside it though, and you’d be wrong to assume that the education system is the only reason a poll has produced an outcome like that.
    If true, a lack of education did that. Also, evidence please.

Many would keep it private in the past.

And it’s not like that for everyone. My gay sister had boyfriends until her 30’s. Only one cousin and one gay friend claim they always knew, that I know. Having a gay sister should make you more aware of this tbh.

Bombarded is hyperbole. They’re more aware of different sexualities and more accepting of it. It doesn’t mean every teenager is going to start same * experimenting. Education in school and at home is important, as well as educating young people about potentially life changing decisions (many of which are almost unobtainable below the age of 18 anyway).

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  15. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    And it only took until 2013 (this date was convenient, given other things happening in the UK for LGBTQ rights) for an overdue "royal" pardon for government and societal treatment that drove the genius that was Alan Turing to suicide back in the 1950s. This was a human being that not only successfully helped fight off Nazis with breaking their codes, but also provided immense contributions to the scholarly world regarding computer science, mathematics and cryptanalysis, artificial intelligence, number theory, and biology.

16. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I seriously don’t see what the problem is. Celtic is a club open for all. As someone mentioned, we are showing support for a traditionally marginalised part of society and to be honest I cannot see why anyone would view this as a negative. We can debate all day about society and influencing of youth etc but at the end of the day if even one person that’s struggling with their sexuality takes some degree of hope/positivity etc from Celtic’s support then as far as I am concerned, it’s been completely worthwhile. Again, I can’t see how this negatively impacts anyone.

HoopSprings and PorchBhoy67 like this.
  17. El Capitan Gold Member Gold Member

You already were triggered by Celtic choosing to support this.

I'd love to say that I'm surprised, but given your track record on absolutely everything it's almost to be expected.

Valhalla likes this.
  18. The67Sound

Well done Celtic, we should be absolutely at the forefront of supporting and promoting LGBTQ+ rights and inclusion in football and wider society.

19. leeso-ardoyne

Education is * with the kids heads. Think I've mentioned before about a nephew of mine heads * thinking he's a girl, and now we have a family friends kid who one week is straight, then next he's proper full on gay as having a boy friend and now he's told his parent he's now not gay but 'wants' to be a woman. What I see is the parents have to take a back seat and have to go with what's in the media, schools etc.. and just let them go with the flow,. Me, I'm the Total opposite, if that was my child I'd be trying to educate them to show them how it's so * up its laughable! I would even go to the lengths to embarrass them so they'd think twice about coming off with such *! I did not bring a child into the world to let the mass media, drug companies get hold of my child's mind to destroy it and end up a mess. Getting cockles hacked off and filled with toxic poison trying to change their gender which in reality, no amount of poison or procedures will ever change a man into a woman. Send them all for a DNA test, it'll come back one of the 2, a female or male. What goes on in the brain will never change this!

Fat Thor likes this.
  20. Ron Swanson 2 x BOTB winner Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Don’t agree with a single word you’ve said, sorry.