1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic statement

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Nov 7, 2018.

Discuss Celtic statement in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This . As a company the lawyers will be strongly advising the club not to admit guilt on anything ( thats there job ) . For me our board at the time knew about this scumbag and still did business wit him the 2nd time around so i think we have a moral obligation to do whatever it takes to look after the victims of this vile person

Artorias likes this.
  2. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For those unaware, Torbett worked for The Trophy Centre at Polmadie, Kevin Kelly worked there and I believe it was owned by the Whites.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Moral standpoints mean nothing from a legal standpoint and we are in the process of going through one.

The Clubs hands are tied, the statement they released will have been done by a lawyer(s).

4. Bonobhoy

Who gives a * about what a dead clubs fans say? They are just as bad in this as they are celebrating the fact that innocent kids where abused and it happened within our club at the time,all for point scoring.

Even if this didnt happen the huns are huns and will still peddle abuse at us for this type of behaviour...They are scum inbred *,* them and what they think.

We deal with this as best as we can and help the victims and much as we can.

Gyp Rosetti, Britwell bhoy and W33kev like this.
  5. joemc

Club will already know from lawyers veiw how they will fair ,i would hate for us as a club to ever use a technicality in a case like this to escape any compensation for victims , i dont think they would ,its more about doing the right thing even if there are no ties and its shown he was not employed by the club ,like some1 already said ,a large donation to victim support organisations,but wotever we do will not be right in the eyes of all rival fans imo ,no win situation .

Artorias likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Moral standpoints mean everything in this case. We can do more than that statement suggests and we probably are tbf..

Our hands are defo not tied tho, I expect this to develop further one way or another. And we should be proactive around it, transparent and want to do what's best for the victims, who he abused using the protection of our clubs name and reputation.

The club may well follow the advice of the lawyers and then probably win any subsequent legal battle. And this protects the Club, I understand this view point. But for me it's a technicality and wrong to deny the victims some closure.

I won't comment any further but these are my thoughts around it.

Artorias likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I understand all your points but you are continually disregarding the facts. We will be going to court and the Boys Club was literally a seperate legal entity.

Our hands are tied, for now.

8. Norm Peterson

How do you think all this would pan out, if it does go the whole way to court?

9. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    firstly they would need to prove that CBC and CFC where legally linked

and i imagine CFC will have an answer for that which will show we were not

Norm Peterson likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The lawyer taking on the victims case thinks they can get compensation from Celtic and I’m not a lawyer so there must be at least a chance.

There would have to be a precedent in law.

Norm Peterson and Liam Scales like this.
  11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I would think they know there is no chance, going public and demanding Celtic do something is what you'd do if you had no hope of taking anything to court as if you could you would do it and it wont just have been done now it would have been done 25 year ago when Torbett was first found guilty.

The court cases already where Torbett has been found guilty - Celtic were nothing to do with them.

12. Jeremie Frimpong

My guess is that little or nothing will come of it.

The club has shown a willingness to defend itself. Remember that until recently many reporters referred to Torbett as a Celtic youth coach; the club took steps to redress that misreporting.

No Celtic supporter or current board or staff member bears any responsibility for the crimes in question; we have all nevertheless been subjected to vile taunts about child abuse, and we are now being threatened with litigation (who would ultimately pay any damages?).

I hope that it goes to court and the alleged perpetrators are named and evidence of their crimes presented. Celtic is not a faceless corporation: we all have to deal with the fallout of this case.

If Robert Kelly, or anyone else at Celtic at that time, was complicit in Torbett’s crimes, name them. It should be a stain on their legacies, not ours.

If they are still alive, they should be tried for their crimes; any damages should be paid by them and them alone. (I know that the legal reality may be different.)

Xatraps, The IRA, Keano88 and 4 others like this.
  13. shieldsybhoy

1. Wasn't Celtic a different company than it was when Torbett was a coach, so is the company they would sue not liquidated now?

2. If all legal checks required were carried out, what more could the people in charge do at the time?

3. If we get done, how much could we get done for?

14. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    That company still exists its owned by celtic plc.

15. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    The Celtic Football and Athletic Company Ltd is the original company which is owned by the plc lawwell sits on both boards.

16. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Litigation was always going to happen. It shouldnt be any surprise to anyone... including the celtic board.

My worry isnt about any financial implications (evem though the mutants over at ipox actually believe this will end us) as historical cases such as these rarely yeild large payouts.

My worry is how we are being percieved.

The moment the verdict was rendered we should have been out in front of the press and ahead of this. As well as meeting with the victims lawyers to not only express our heartfelt condolences but to assure them that in no way will we be subject to a witch hunt.

As usual, this will come down to a figure. The figure is irrelevant.

What is worrying is the damage this could do to our reputation.

If it goes to court and we lose a case of negligence ( unlikely) we are stained with embarrassment, ineptitude and the financial implications will be bigger. A result such as this could also see us open to fivilous litigations from con men and alike (sad but true). More worryingly any negative outcome would almost certainly draw appeal from ourselves. And rightly so. However, its not uncommon for assets to be frozen in these cases to cover potential damages, which would be an unmitigated disaster.

If it goes to court and we win ..( most likely) the media will continue to attack a percived attitude of obtuse insensitvity. Appeals will be registered and again we get mired down.

Lawyers measure their success in such cases by the amount they get in damages.

The victims here only want an acknowledgement. That someone... somewhere at celtic fc failed to protect them. This is not about cover ups or culpability. Everyone apart from der hun knows this. The victims merely want recognition.

No one... and i mean no one wants this to go to court.

This all goes away with a sit down, a statement that we actually did fail these people , and an undisclosed out of court settlement which would hardly out a dent in out transfer budget.

King of Kings likes this.
  17. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Ah the old Hun patter - “Sellik wiz liquidated anaw. Pacific Shelf man”.

Xatraps likes this.
  18. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Celtic were liquidated?!?! :56: frigging *!!

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. shieldsybhoy

There are 2 companies, see above - simmer.

Speaking of which, this has happened to Rangers. This year. But Neil Lennon was right, because of the engrained anti Irish anti Catholic racism in Scottish society, we don't hear about that and the media outrage against us is huge and the legal system wants to protect rangers.

Literally the exact same as celtic have done - 'it was a different entity'. We don't hear anything about it.

Exact same reason as why the hugh Dallas coin gets harked back to all these years after but the rangers coin throw at the livi game is already forgotten about and you won't remember Neil lennons in a few months time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44126217

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Excuse me:43:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.