1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic pubs in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Celtic Supporters Info' started by KingHenrik777, Aug 14, 2012.

Discuss Celtic pubs in Glasgow in the Celtic Supporters Info area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KingHenrik777

Hey guys, I normally drive up to games from South Birmingham (5 hours each way) then back down the road after the match, but, for the home game against the Mini Huns on 6th October I'm coming up with 2 of my english mates who have wanted to experience the Parkhead atmosphere for years. We have decided to get the train from Birmingham New Street into Glasgow Central and have a few beers etc, can anyone give us some names of decent bars in the area that we can get to before the match bearing in mind we will all be in colours ? Cheers

2. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Any of the pubs from the Saltmarket heading down towards the Barra's on the Gallowgate should suit. Or the Brazen Head at the Gorbals.

3. Gordybhoy1967

Any bar on the gallowgate except Bairds. Pints are rotten and its full of neds.

4. Jhaf Gold Member Gold Member

Hagies Bar/Shannons on the gallowgate just along from the belgrove hotel, the best pub for a singsong

5. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I've heard The Spirit on saltmarket is a Celtic pub... but on google street view you see a guy with a Rangers jersey outside it, makes me wonder lol.

Never been keen on Bairds, Hagies comes across as the best place I think.

6. KingHenrik777

Thanks guys, any really close to Central Station ?

7. Gordybhoy1967

Admiral bar on waterloo street is a tim shop. 2 mins from the station

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    All the Gallowgate ones are about 10 min walk from Central.

9. mike67

10. KingHenrik777

Superb thanks guys.

11. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Check out McChiulls as well .. just north of Glasgow Cross and a stones throw from the Gallowgate bars.

Always heaving. :50:

12. KingHenrik777

Cheers.:50: Just thinking about getting from the stadium after the game to Bridgeton Station to get back to Central in time for my train leaving at 6.30pm. I know it will be busy all the way up the London Road but is it easier to walk to Bridgeton or get the bus which I'm assuming will be packed ?!!

13. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Its normally ok in the week and sometimes alot of Irish over for the craic and can meet some good people, all that said when I was there a fortnight ago lots of junkies in and out asking for "money for my train fare hame" never a good thing

Brigdeton is the best bet, you will be there at 17.20 at the very very latest and a good few trains will run into Central lower level before your train :50:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
  14. KingHenrik777

:50: Cheers. Was considering walking straight from Parkhead to Glasgow Central - guessed it might take an hour max so out the ground at 5pm and at Glasgow central for 6pm ish so plenty of time.... but probably go with walking to Bridgeton.

15. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You are right in the respect that walking the whole way will be guaranteed on time for you, if I was you just check the actual times from Brigdeton albeit they are regular about every 10 mins, just avoid buses they are a lottery

16. Dazzzdelux

at a good pace walk is about 45 mins from celtic park to glasgow central

17. harry5867

Fav Celtic Player:
    every one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the celtic song
    If your not from glasgow aviod brigton esp in colours the best way is back down with crowd in the gallowgate alltheway to central walk bus or taxi the cab fare is under 10quid so for 3/4 is cheap.On your way way from central along the trongate i would just bypass the bars (most don't allow colours) till you get to the tollbooth gallowgate 10mins max there you can drink in any of the bars as most will be full of tims and depending on your taste it should be enjoyable.Hail Hail:icon_mrgreen:

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  18. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Every time the word Brigdeton comes up in this forum we get the usual over reactions, no offence pal but I get off there, the train station exit is the right side to avoid the whole of ficking Brigdeton and a nice walk up the London Road, if you look to your left when exiting you will notice there are more Polis in the Cross than the whole of Glasgow centre, Id say the opposite and say its probably the safest part of Britain on match day for a Tim. All that said as long as your going to the station its as safe as houses but even with the Polis I wouldnt fancy the walk past the legions of them and the usual token huns smoking outside the Crimson Star etc, they tend to get more mouthy when half of Glasgows finest are camped outside with their truncheons

19. harry5867

Fav Celtic Player:
    every one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the celtic song
    only putting the bhoy wise if he is no used to the area he could find himself in bother but he is big enough to digest all the info and make his own mind up when you talk of having colours on the monkeys don't need any help as you'll know.

20. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I had to go to a game straight from work once,hadn't got the train before from Motherwell into Glasgow so when I saw Celtic supporters staying on past Bridgeton so did I,then everyone got off at Dalmarnock and you can pretty much see the ground as you're walking over.Wee windy streets seemed a bit dodgy but there were plenty of bodies so it was alright.I've since got to the stadium from Bridgeton and it might just be easier,safer.