1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Players That You Never Took To

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Nov 14, 2018.

Discuss Celtic Players That You Never Took To in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Didn't remember that one tbh, what a goal!

Hero :notworthy

2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Roy Keane , I always thought he just came Alain’s for a few short months just to tick a box on his bucket list

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  3. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    That's a brave one, though I'm willing to agree with you, albeit maybe for different reasons...

There's a CSC here in Derry named after McStay, based in the Peadar O'Donnell's bar on Waterloo Street. The CSC's motto is 'against the famine and the crown', and Peadar O'Donnell, is of course, a legendary IRA volunteer.

McStay was supposed to speak at the CSC in 2008 but turned down the invitation (or accepted it at first and then turned it down later) citing concerns about the club's 'sectarianism'.

As there was no further elaboration, it was concluded that he himself - or those advising him (if he has people advising him at all) associated the Irish republican connotations of the CSC with 'sectarianism' and so blacklisted the CSC. Given that these guys have given a lot to follow Celtic over the years, sometimes at great personal risk during the 'Troubles', it was a crass and insulting way to treat these Celtic fans. Yet despite this insult, the CSC remains named after him, however I’m led to believe, at the time, there was consideration given to the idea of re-naming it altogether.

Though I was too young to remember McStay, and so cannot have formed any kind of opinion on him as a player, I do know that he is regarded as a Celtic legend, but this episode has tainted him in my eyes. I don't like saying that but that's how I feel.

I don't think Tommy Burns or Jimmy Johnstone would have done such a thing tbh.

PaulM1888, Marie and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. Sydneysider

And , dont forget, make a pile of cash for himself and his agent.

Like his name-sake Robbie who played 12 games, scored 10 goals of which 5 were against a * poor Kilmarnock but none in two vital games against the Huns, but now he is always described as …"former Celtic hero".

He came out with exactly the same bollocks with us as when he joined Liverpool "I always loved... ( insert name of Team)blah blah … then he actually said " I always wore a Liverpool shirt as a kid growing up in Dublin.."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  5. themouth1888

Jack Hendry

I 100% believe there are games we would have played better in if we played without him and had 10 men on the park.

Nowhere near Celtic class. File under the likes of Tyler Blackett and the other wastes of a wage

Xatraps likes this.
  6. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Gerard joseph britton

7. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Word for word what I was going to say.....:50:

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Benfica away was the game were he was found out shitbag performance

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    To do with wasted talent given so many chances as well that being said when you have a manager at the time who liked to take you out on the ran Dan you are gonna get mixed signals.... Was into Charlie too and loved the bucky but like a said I don't believe he had the best guidance from his manager at the time

10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Scored a similar diving header against stuttgart away as well... And must not forget the winner against Barcelona

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Some weird * in here, the best one being ' I did like him but past few years etc?'

I took it that from the minute he walked in the door it was all off for you.?

I could add wads of players who I feel differently towards now than when first there.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No he wasn't. :56:

I think Leigh is a cracking wee player with a great attitude; but he was definitely not "just as good as if not better than" Dembele.

Tommy Burns was a great man, you can't hold McStay to those standards. Jimmy Johnstone was from a different era.

What was the exact wording of his letter? It sounds like your CSC is associated not only with republicanism but with the IRA.

If he was just politely declining the invitation because he personally didn't want to be associated with the IRA, I think that is fair enough. Like it or not, the IRA is not looked on kindly by a majority in the UK (I imagine it is similar in Australia) and many good people who just want quiet lives don't want the association and all that it brings (especially to a public figure). * knows I would be the same in that position. Look at the grief Stokes got for attending that funeral!*

If, however he implied in his words that the IRA was illegitimate or your association a taint on your CSC or some other such media propaganda nonsense, then he was obviously out of order (though even here I personally might just forgive my boyhood hero this one time :52:).

* Just to be clear, I admire folk like Stokes and McLean who don't avoid these associations; I just don't blame folk that do for a quiet life.

charlietully likes this.
  13. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Didier Agathe! all Doh eyes and no final touch

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Get the * outta here.

15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    You get pira and you get 1916 ira ruplican cause peadar odonnell seems to fit in the latter was a politician as well

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Robbie Keane was 19 games and 16 goals.

Roy Keane cut his contract short even when he had a year left because he felt like he was stealing a wage. He also knocked back bigger money to come to us.

Of all the things you could throw at those two, it’s pretty weird examples.

Random Review and StPauli1916 like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, that’s different from what I’m meaning. Plenty I disliked after liking them, it’s the ones you just never took to at all.

18. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I have met Paul and know his wifes brother, he's a proper Celtic man and as others have said, a bit reserved.

There are all types of Celtic men, this forum being a great example. However ill-informed/uneducated on this particular topic you think he might be, his dedication to the club should negate all of that for me.

Upon leaving football you become a pundit or venture into another line of business, a bit of PR like that from a hun journo at the Daily Record could potentially close avenues and knowing grass roots football in Australia (which is now his livelihood) his clientele will be largely expat Brits and Scots. People love to be offended these days and will run with anything they can, something like that could have factored into a decision.

19. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Willie Falconer - i feel you could have taken a random guy out the stands on match day and he'd have offered more than this lump of wood.
    Gordon Marshall
    Enrico Annoni
    Kenny Miller

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not Robbie Keane's biggest fan (I think he was good but not that good in the EPL), but I remember him tearing it up in Scotland. It can't be denied he ripped SPL defences a new one. That's an absolutely mental goal ratio.

Liam Scales and StPauli1916 like this.