1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic On Deadline Day - What will Happen

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Daddybear29, Aug 29, 2014.

Discuss Celtic On Deadline Day - What will Happen in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    2 seasons of CL football on the trot and tens of millions worth of player sales within the past 4 year and we are near enough back at square one.

I remember we all saw their demise as a chance to really lay down a marker and steam ahead.

2. Markybhoy

If I didn't know better I'd say the spivs in the Celtic boardroom actually WANT Sevco to catch us up. They can then bump up the price of season tickets again, all in the name of a close run title race.

3. StevieBhoooy!

International break....

Trusting that the GB use some of the 'window' to put on a suitable message/display to the board at next home game!

4. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Said if all night * joke, and I got slaughtered * raging gutted I was right was hoping to wake up to some good stuff bunch of clowns for a board

5. Murph-E

I said this last summer and I'll say it again now. Pretend all we want we are "stand alone, don't need them"- the way we have downsized and worsened our squad is proof that we are DETERMINED not to pull too far ahead.

6. wulliebad

Lol...not buying players so the huns can challenge. Lol.....jesus heard it all now.

7. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I don't think that's the case either,but it's understandable why some fans are arriving at that conclusion.

8. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    That's exactly what they want , anyone that thinks otherwise needs to wake up and just see how * we've got since they died.

9. Shane1888

It's not the most unrealistic idea out there.

Competition means more interest and excitement, interest and excitement means higher crowds and more people watching on TV, which all results in more money and greater exposure for the Scottish game outside of this small country.

I'm not actually suggesting that the Celtic board are deliberately trying to sabotage the squad to make it easier for the filth arriving next year, but they're certainly not doing enough in order for us to pull away from them and make it impossible for them to challenge us in the foreseeable future.

10. Murph-E

I doubt the board are actively hoping they genuinely challenge. But they at least want the illusion of the challenge. We could very easily have pulled away from the rest of Scottish football, to the point where we'd be almost impossible to ever challenge. That sounds crazy, but it's the reality of the situation. As I see it, we have CHOSEN not to pull too far ahead.

And the thing is- the gap between being good in Scotland and being good in Europe is now humongous. We need to compete on the top European stage, which our board has shown NO ambition to do, by their own actions. In doing so, we remain at a level much lower than where we should be.

11. StevieBhoooy!

He said "if I didn't know better"...

12. Big Boss Gold Member Gold Member

I know we're all disappointed but there's some amount of pish being spouted on here. Conspiracies about how the board are deliberately going out of their way to downsize us or something like that.

Look at it from Lawwell and the shareholder's perspective...they don't really care about replacing our best players with guaranteed quality. At the end of the day, balance sheets with profits on them is what they are aiming for, that's what their whole involvment is based around. Now do you think they're going to allow the club to spend money on transfers for what at this point? So we do well in Europe? Let me tell you right now, CL or no CL, under this current regime we won't go out and spend a lot of money. We'll do as we have done, buy players on the cheap and try to develop them so they can be flogged off to some side down in England with more money than sense and the cycle goes on.

The reality is, we will win the title this season. And unless Rangers come on really strong next season, we'll win it then too. Only when there is a threat to the established system we've got going will there be investment. The extra money from the Champions League is nice for Lawwell and co, but we operate in such a way that we can survive without it. I mean, everyone on here seemed to bang on about how it wasn't the end of the world and our business model operated with CL money as an extra when we got knocked out the past two seasons. And well, you've all been proved true. There's no need to invest, take the risk on big money moves that won't work out. Look at it from Lawwell's perspective - do we need to invest? No? So why should we?

I don't know why this seems to be a sudden relevation to everyone that we won't go out and get the targets we want. Because, at the end of the day, it's not about what we want as fans. It's not even about what Ronny wants. It's about Lawwell and the shareholders playing a game of risk vs reward with the balance sheets, and right now, he is fairly satisfied with not taking any risks by investing.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Why should we have to wait until there is some sort of a threat from the Huns though in order for us to spend?

That's embarrassing. Truly is.

It's not as if spending £10m is going to plunge us into administration. It's also not as if us fans are asking for Larsson level players.

We just want better than Nadir Ciftci and Ryan Christie. They might well prove to do a job for us domestically but they are not going to take us up a gear.

14. wulliebad

Its not really...3 years on and its like they never died ffs.....huns huns huns.....give us fecking peace

we could sell our first 11 and them * wouldnt get near us.

no bussiness in the * world would weaken its self to make the market more exciting....lol....just * crazy talk.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That just backs up what some of the others are actually saying..

16. Murph-E

We don't perform in any other way other than as a football club. What are the profits funding? Our attempts at launching an NFL team?

It's very clearly not all being reinvested in the team or our facilities. The culture in a Scotland of 2015 wouldn't allow us to produce top talent even if we want to. So it HAS to go into buying players. It doesn't.

17. wulliebad

Im sure I have seen it said by others......anyway.....im off to pray for someone to save us from the big nasty hun...:smiley-laughing002:

18. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Is jozo a celtic player yet ffs?

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    No-one is talking about being 'scared' or 'worried' about them as you seem to think.

We are talking about our unwillingness to spend at a time when it could have put us miles ahead of them, so that we'd never even have to mention them again because they would be so irrelevant.

20. Murph-E

This post just suggests you don't understand the point being made.

It's not any form of huns that are a threat. It's out board refusing to pull so far away from any potential challengers. How can that even be denied?

Two years in a row we went into CRUCIAL, biggest game of the season, Champions League playoff rounds having spent * ALL. In modern football, you don't qualify having spent * all.

To make that mistake twice in 2 years? There's no excuse. They're either really, really STUPID- or it was deliberate.