1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Could Miss several Summer Targets

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by ChristianH, Jun 13, 2007.

Discuss Celtic Could Miss several Summer Targets in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ChristianH

Fav Celtic Player:
    Everyone who's wearing the Celtic shirt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    CELTIC manager Gordon Strachan could miss out on several summer targets.
    West Brom are demanding at least £10m for striker Diomansy Kamara and midfielder Jason Koumas - two players heavily linked with the Parkhead club.
    And Ghanaian midfielder Stephen Appiah, also reported to be on Strachan's wish list, is in talks with Fenerbahce over a new deal.
    Celtic have made a good start to signing plans with top target Scott Brown secured, plus Chris Killen and Scott McDonald boosting competition in attack.
    Strachan has a list of key positions to fill. Cash is available, but West Brom's demand might be too high.

Fulham failed in a £7m joint bid for Kamara and Koumas - plus two men in exchange - and Birmingham failed in a £3.5m bid for Kamara.
    West Brom are said to be after at least £5million each.
    It would take in the region of £5m to land Appiah from Fenerbahce, but the Turkish champs have opened discussions with the player about an extension.
    Juventus, as well as German sides Bayern Munich and Schalke 04, are also keen to sign him.
    However, the player says he is in no rush to make any noises about leaving.
    He said: "I am aware there are clubs in talks with Fenerbahce to sign me.
    "I just have to be very sensible about the situation and listen to what Fenerbahce have to say because I am still contracted to them until 2009."
    With more new players certain to arrive in the coming weeks, Strachan knows he has to clear the decks and try to offload some of his players.
    Skipper Neil Lennon decided for himself it was time to move on and has signed for English League One side Nottingham Forest, and striker Craig Beattie could be the next to head for the Parkhead exit door.
    With McDonald and Killen arriving, and a third striker on the radar, West Brom are hoping Celtic would allow him to leave for around £750,000.
    But whether Celtic could use him in a bid to land either Koumas or Kamara remains to be seen.
    The 23-year-old striker is keen to enjoy a run of first-team games and believes his progress could be hampered at Celtic next term.
    And Kenny Miller is in a similar position. He didn't feature as much as he'd like last term and realises it could be even tougher to find a starting slot next term.
    Strachan is also hoping one or two others could make way for more new arrivals, such as top earner Thomas Gravesen.

----

I know this isn't a rumour. But I think is very relevant for the general transfer-talks.

http://www.randalstowncsc.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=396

2. MonTheHoops07

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Theres my point exactly .
    Were moving far too slowly and are going to miss out
    Sidwell to Chelsea i dont have a problem
    Barton = Could have got in before Newcastle did
    Appiah = Schalke want him no
    Koumas = Fulham and Birmingham are favourites now
    Bellamy = Hardly an attempt to get him

There are 5 more players we need ..Dave Nugent , Freddie Ljungberg , Johan Djourou Stephen Appiah and Roy Maakay . This is assuming we get rid of Beattie , Jarodick , Gravesen , Miller Pressley etc

3. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover

How can you accuse us of moving slowly? I've never known us to have signed 3 players before the end of June. You're a big admirer of MO'N, and he would leave it until the last minute every transfer window. This is a refreshing change for us.

We could not possibly have matched the wages that Barton was offered by Newcastle.

Appiah remains a possibility

Koumas is over priced.

How do you know we haven't enquired about Bellamy?

The other players you've mentioned are good players, but as you have pointed out, moving on players can be every bit as hard as getting the ones you want in.

4. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Don't think it's a case of us being too slow, more a case of being outbid or player's preference.

5. Katie87

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Its only June. Give Celtic time.

6. KevF2416

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Hartson, Alan Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If GS gets Bellamy and a few quality players in before the qualifier i will be more happy and at ease .
    However we cannot chance anything we must be 100% ready and prepared hence the reason id like all our signings done by July 5th before we go to Switzerland .
    Unless we get players in before the qualifier i will worry as i feel we will struggle

7. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Well said GD, lets have some perspective.

We have already brought in two strikers and a midfielder. Within 3 weeks of the season ending, thats pretty good going for a stable team who have won the league two years running.

I am surprised that we have not been linked with more Bosmans and instead look to be spending big money on transfers, as if WBA want 8m for Koumas they can GTF, Guily is going for 1.5m FFS!

I think we are better off upfront already than we were last season. The writing appears to be on the wall for Miller, Beattie and Magic. If we bring in one more decent fast striker then i think we are sorted. Think about it, the three above plus Deek and JVoH is what we had last year and two of them were almost permanantly injured. In Killen and McDonald we ahve two proven SPL goalscorers, Beattie and Miller are not.

We might also be waiting to see how much deadwood we can get rid of because we can't afford to splash the cash and then realise that we cant get rid of big earners like Graveson, Jiri, Kenny, Magic etc.

BTW it says omn the BBC website that WBA knocked back a 4m bid for Koumas from Wigan and a 5m bid for both players from Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  8. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Unfortunatley it looks like we are last in a long line of suitors for Steven Appiah

9. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scotty Broon & Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If we 'lose out' on Koumas & Kamara at that price i will be happy, the money they *-holes are asking is a * joke. Barton i thought we had a good chance of getting but obviously the money bags appeared and he couldn't resist, less than a week after saying all he was interested in was trohies........:fear:. Appiah i really hope doesn't fall through coz he would run amock over here, we just need to keep our fingers crossed.

10. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Craig Beattie is a potential bargaining tool for Kamara or Koumas

11. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    How many of these so called targets are targets and how many are just speculation? I think most are the latter!

12. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Koumas is definitley a target because Koumas was quoted as saying he knew Celtic were interested.Plus WGS was scouting at The Hawthorns at the end of last season