1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic and New Balance

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Documental, Feb 5, 2015.

Discuss Celtic and New Balance in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You can buy Celtic strips from the Camp Nou club shop, I'd like that type of prestige to remain not sail it down the river to get into bed with a second rate manufacturer just because a few * don't like a strip design.

Nike are a global brand and fit with us as a Club, unless someone else gives us a stupid proposal I'd prefer we stuck with them.

2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Unless your about 12 it shouldn't matter. Adults shouldn't be wearing football tops in public.

3. Sonny Crockett

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs/Jackie Mac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Billy Bhoys
    35 aye, but if youre 15 you shouldn't wear a jersey? FFS :smiley-laughing002:

4. Keano88

Splendid.

5. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Aye, its madness how much we get really. Man City still only get £12m a year from Nike. We make about the same as Napoli, slightly more than Roma, more than Fiorentina.

Jesus, even Arsenal's last deal with Nike was £7m a year. Although I think that was because they were desperate and need secured income to fund the Emirates.

Imagine our kit sales have lowered significantly since the Nakamura days - he would have attributed to many sales - at our peak we sold 250,000 tops (best of the small leagues).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
  6. JamesM09

Aye our deal is good. I wouldn't say they allow us to keep the profits, that implies that's against the norm. They bought the right to make the replica kit and sell to vendors, we're one of the vendors who buy and sell along with Sports Direct, Greaves etc.

Of course they're not going to give us what they are going to give Liverpool. I would suggest that since they are willing to give Liverpool a lucrative deal they might also give us a relatively good deal too. They're clearly happy to spend a bit and make some ground in Football.

My first instinct when I heard we might be chucking Nike was we would get a slightly smaller deal from someone else, but we would make up the difference in increased sales (since prices would hopefully be lower). Now I'm hoping New Balance might offer £7m or £8m, or at least match the £6m although I won't hold my breath.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

New Balance are a class company and really making themselves known.

If the kits are decent then I don't mind who makes them. I used to love Nike, and only Nike. But their kits are awful now, especially ours.

I'd love Adidas... but New Balance could be real good!

8. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    It's totally clear why we get more money then some of the clubs mentioned here, it isn't surprising. We are a global brand.

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    £75million Man Utd Adidas 2015 (currently only get £23million)
    £31million Real Madrid Adidas 2012
    £30million Chelsea Adidas 2011
    £30million Arsenal Puma 2014
    £27million Barcelona Nike 2008
    £25million Liverpool Warrior 2012
    £19million Bayern Munich Adidas 2012
    £17million Juventus Adidas 2015 (Currently only get £11million)
    £15million AC Milan Adidas 2014
    £15million PSG Nike 2014 (used to only get £4million before £££)
    £13million Inter Nike 2014
    £12million Man City Nike 2012 (used to only get £2million before £££)
    £12million Porto Warrior 2014
    £10million Tottenham Under Armour 2011
    £6million Celtic Nike 2010
    £5million Ajax Adidas 2008
    £5million Roma Nike 2014
    £5million Dortmund Puma 2012
    £5million Newcastle Puma 2012
    £4million Napoli Macron 2012
    £3million Atletico Nike 2014
    £3million Benfica Adidas 2014
    £3million Valencia Adidas 2014
    £3million Everton Nike 2012
    £2million Lazio Macron 2012

Wee comparison of us to other clubs... you would think teams got a lot more but the don't funny how the people that make the shirts who make a lot of the money back pay little compared to the advertisements, especially at the bigger teams.

10. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ones in bold are absolutely scunnering - shocked. Dortmund? The ones in italics are surprising aswell, especially Porto's.

Looking at who is ahead of us, really only new deals signed recently, imagine we were higher up compared to older deals: pre 2011.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, you would assume like Nike etc would pay more but they just don't kinda weird.

I think the only time brands pay over the score is for advertisement, like Warrior paying Liverpool and Porto over the odds is probably just because they are well known clubs people will see. Probably the same with Adidas signing with Man U - at that money Adidas must be taking over the running of all their merchandising or something???

We are probably one of the top 10/15 shirt sellers in Europe, must be why we get such a good deal compared to similar clubs like Benfica, Lazio, Ajax etc

PSV only get £1.5million a year - think Sevco's puma deal is the same.

Then again when you think of it it must cost Nike/Adidas etc £millions a year to produce millions of kits for teams and then distribute them everywhere plus they have deals with players and probably supply all their bigger clubs players with free stuff.

12. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Liverpools kits particularly some of the away ones are as bad as have been seen in many many years so that's worrying.

What's even more worrying is this rumour doesn't seem to want to go away, still as yet nothing official but so many stories out there that New Balance will take over from Nike.

I hope to * not, and that's coming from someone not that keen on Nike stuff

13. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    PSV earn that much thats pants? I can understand Spivco cause of the state they are in :smiley-laughing002:

I think it costs pennies to make the shirts - China remember and slave labour. Some clubs' sales must subsidise others. Like Madrid get just £31m just now and Adidas will make more than that surely, therefore can take the hit on the Man United deal. Nike would have been similar with Arsenal pre Puma (£7m a year).

Apparently Madrid are beelin' with the United deal and want to re-negotiate. :smiley-laughing002:

14. Xavier Woods

Fav Celtic Player:
    Erik Sviatchenko
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    If the kit looks half decent and Celtic make a bit of dosh for it, then happy days.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The deals are probably set up so the kit makers can do so for basically free and the clubs can get a lot of money, that way kit makers get free advertisement.

We in the UK are probably more into buying tops than other countries. Like its not that weird for a family of 5 to all have Celtic home and away tops. But in Spain/France/Germany/Italy etc people probably dont buy as much tops or away tops or that, must be why they get much less money than you'd think.

Like I think we are rumoured to sell around 250,000 tops a year. The likes of Dortmund might only sell 100,000, PSV might only sell 50,000. But they must balance the pay out in terms of advertising too like Porto are always in the Champions League and they always have a good chance of winning the Europa League so are probably very valuable for advertisement.

Aye I remember when I was younger, think it might have been when we first signed with Nike in 2005 that each top only costs like 50p to make, probably about £1 now, probably all in it'll only cost about £2 to get from nothing to having the top hanging in a shop to sell. So if we sell £10million worth a year, it costs Nike like £6.5million to make them and pay us, and then they probably make about that much back and we probably make about £12million.

I mind in one of the old accounts the Seville year Hoops top was the highest seller from the club, think we sold 110,000 units and that was just the club shops and the away top the black and gold was the highest selling away top that the club sold about 70,000 of them. They records probably still stand, as less people buy directly from the club now cause they cost more but people should as Celtic get to keep all the money that way, buying from JJB/JD, the club possibly get nothing from that or small % like 5% or 10%.

16. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

17. The Celtic Way

as long as its got hooped socks

18. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  19. The Celtic Way

20. shieldsybhoy

I think NB could be quite cool. And if we get more money then it's a win-win.

The current shirt is woeful but my favourite recent one has to be the 125th anniversary top with the small Tennants logo underneath the crest.

All the tops from that season were class actually. Really liked the all black away kit and the white retro 3rd kit with the special anniversary crest.