1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Car

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cas79, Feb 2, 2020.

Discuss Car in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Looking for a cheap car on the road, I'm a bit lost with it all and dont want to be ripped off, also money is tight, I just passed on monday and most things iv looked at are killing me in insurance, around the £1200 mark so any help would be much appreciated,

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

2. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
  3. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    , you trying to kill me

4. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lada Samara

Really though. Would you not try for finance ? Could get something newer with a bit of warranty for quite cheap monthly payments.

Plan on keeping it long ?

5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Having just passed your test insurance will not come cheap.

You're going to need 1.1 litre to keep the £'s down

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    How old are you? And I assume you're in the Glasgow area?

You'll not get much better on insurance if you're under 25 in that situation.
    I passed just over a year ago, running a 06 plate Toyota had me around £1100 for insurance, swapped to a 15 plate Corsa and it wasn't much better.
    And I'm in my 30s.

After a year it's down to £700 though, so much better.

It's unfortunatly something most of us need to suck up.

Admiral was the best I could find, as was for my sister a few years previous.

As for the type of card you'll be caught in the middle, go cheap and old and youll be paying repairs more often than not, unless you get very lucky.
    But if you go to a dealer and get something in the last 4 years, you'll pay more for the car (up front or per month) but the road tax etc will likely be better.

Personally, and this isn't for everyone, I'd advise if your monthly outgoings can stretch it, finance a second hand car that's only a couple years old from a dealer. But if you're wanting to just pay it off and not have that outgoing, you'll need to shop around and take your time. But be prepared for eventual repair works.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

cas79 likes this.
  7. TimFloyd Gold Member

A wee VW polo or something.

For that price you can either look at the cheap cars on auto trader /Facebook / gumtree..... Unfortunately shopping this way comes with risks , have you got any mates that are clued up in cars that you could take along with you?

Plus there is always plenty of these trade centre companies that punt all the lower end trade stock for around the price you are looking for..... Still comes with a risk mind.

Edit: also above as @DamianWayneCSC said is probably the best option, financing or leasing a nice newish car

cas79 and Peej like this.
  8. northeast67

A wee Vauxhall corsa, VW polo or the small skoda are great wee cars for someone looking for reliable cheap to run cars, VW and skoda are quite good safety wise too.
    happy driving

Spring Time, Peej and cas79 like this.
  9. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Take your time and do your homework. If you're going to go second hand then look for lowest miles and cars with as much service history as possible. Look on the mot history checker online and see what advisories the car got in its last mot and check it's all been sorted before considering. Check the timing belt has been replaced as that can be expensive work . If you are patient then I'm sure you will find a wee nugget out there.

Grats on passing your test :50:

Spring Time and cas79 like this.
  10. eddiemcd1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larson
    Don’t know your circumstances...but I put me and my wife on my sons insurance this brought the insurance down
    Don’t go with first quote shop around you will find that they differ quite dramatically

Any 1.2 - 1.4 litre cars are what you should look at ie corsa...Adam etc depends on what suits your style

hope this helps

cas79 likes this.
  11. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

There will be more advice coming hopefully but you need to give more info.
    Some of the below affect the car you will need / want, some will affect your insurance.
    how old are you?
    what is the car for?
    How often will it be used?
    How many people?
    How many doors?
    How much mileage will you do?
    Where is it parked?
    Where are you based?
    Fit an insurance tracker?
    Keep clear of car that have modifications, especially to the engine.
    Driving at night after certain times & in rush hour lifts your premium.
    Limiting your mileage keeps insurance (& obviously running costs) down.

Small Toyota, Volkswagen, Ford, Vauxhall:-
    1.2 engine or below are all usually reliable. Look for low owner count & some service history if possible.
    get one with a full mot.

The price you’re looking at. Some of the cars will have had some sort of insurance history / claim, that’s not necessarily too bad but
    check that it’s not been a write off. If it has been a write off, walk away.
    I would go for petrol.
    It’s sometimes better to put an experienced driver on insurance as well ( main driver). :84:

well done on passing test.

cas79 and Peej like this.
  12. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Thanks some good info, I'm 41 this year, (april) and I knew my first year would be expensive just a bit shocked that 1200 was the cheapest, I have a mate who's going to give me a hand but hes a nightmare trying to get him to do something, I done a few quotes and I found older cars are a helluva lot cheaper to insure but like said above will have issues at some point, I'm not going for credit and have just over a grand, and about 1300 for insurance, I'm thinking I can get something decent for that, looking at fiestas as advised,

13. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I'm 41 live in glasgow eastend (shettlelston) I'm only really using it for social use going to golf really, I will be doing some long journeys but rarely, have no kids and I'm single (or free if you will) car will be parked in the street outside my flat, dont need a 5 door but would be a bonus, I want it to look ok modern looks but I'll take what i can get withing reason, cheap to run, insurer ect, and something that wont * up,

14. TimFloyd Gold Member

Tbh 1200 for your first years isn't "that bad" yes still alot of money, I know young lads paying 2/3x that and paying more every month for insurance than the actual car payments! Lol

About 13/14 years ago when I first insured my car under my own name is was about 1200 I think.

Insurance is just one of the those bullets you need to bite unfortunately, providing you don't have any bumps it will reduce greatly

cas79 likes this.
  15. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

@cas79 Would highly recommend a VW or something similar. I had a Seat Ibiza for my first car and it was a great reliable car. Polo’s are good cars too.

Seat, Skoda, Audi are all part of the VW group so just depends on your preference and what’s available. Would recommend a Leon or a Golf if you are into your golfing as the boot is bigger!

cas79 likes this.
  16. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    A seat ibiza was my first choice the newer shape I really like, it's just a bit out my range and I dont like the older 07/08 models, seat, vw, audis and fords are the ones I like, corsas I have been told to stay away from by a few people, I like the fiats too but been told to stay away from them aswel

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If you are going for older car i would advise getting AA Breakdown Repair cover along with whoever you get your insurance with as this will covers for most things up to £500 with just £35 excess.
    When i had my Merc's coolant system breakdwn all i had to pay was £35 although it would have cost me £450 without that cover.

cas79 likes this.
  18. Onefootwonder

What's the budget for the car?

VWs aren't that reliable and parts and repairs are often more expensive. The more basic the car the less things there is to go wrong.

Usually the sensible thing is to buy something Japanese and boring for a first car. There's nothing really wrong with Corsa or Fiestas either.

Make sure you take someone along that knows about cars. Buying used cars is a risky business. Even from reputable garages.

Spring Time and cas79 like this.
  19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Finding the cheapest car insurance
    You can see how much car insurance might cost for a particular model by using MoneySuperMarket’s car insurance comparison tool. Enter the registration number and some information about your driving history to compare car insurance policy quotes.

If you haven’t bought a car yet but do have a make and model in mind, all you need to do is add the type of fuel it runs on, whether it’s a manual or automatic drive, the year it was registered, and the engine size and version of the car. You’ll then be able to compare car insurance quotes for that exact car and get a better idea of how much it will cost you.

You can filter the results by policy type and monthly and annual costs to help you find a car insurance policy that’s affordable, and keeps you covered. Some policies might also let you add extra levels of protection to give you peace of mind that you’ll be covered if you need to claim.

20. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Round about 1k-1200, my mate has told me to get a mk7 fiesta about £800 and use what I save for repairs, keeps telling me something will go wrong with it no matter what I get in my budget