1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we get through the CL qualifiers with a new manager?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by no1armchairfan, May 2, 2016.

Discuss Can we get through the CL qualifiers with a new manager? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. no1armchairfan

As title, I think it will take a big chunk of luck and not just in the actual games but off the field as well in the appointment and how the current players take to him. Doesnt look good for next year judging by history. Unpopular but I think Ronny shouldve saw out the qualifiers and only left if we didnt qualify giving a new manager a full year at the wheel.

2. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Considering at the minute we are below Europa league standard , then I'd think it is very unlikely the way things stand.

3. doctor venglos

It would have been a big mistake for Ronny to hang around and maybe tarnish his reputation.He leaves now with two leagues in a row, and a Cup under his belt, in many people's eyes he will have enhanced his resume from being just a journeyman manager to craftsman manager.

The new manager will have to find his feet quickly no doubt, but we have a good nucleus of a squad, and if he adds another right back, central defender and defensive midfielder. given a wee bit of luck in the draw, he should be able to do it.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We can but I wouldn't count on it.

5. TheHappyLoss

Really really hope so. For the last 15 years Europe has been what I enjoy seeing Celtic compete in most

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yes, but the squad needs some investment and we need favourable draws.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Possible but I'm not getting my hopes up.

9. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

I'm not too optimistic about it. We shouldn't really judge the new manager on whether he achieves it or not, just give him a free hit at it and see how well it goes.

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Mibbees.

11. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Why not? A new manager in early enough to evaluate the squad and hopefully add to it in positions we are weak in. We got the making of a good team, we have seem glimmers of it at times during the previous season. Just need someone to provide better tactical options and a new player of two.

12. VikingBhoy

Don't see why not, we had a bit of bad luck against Maribor and Malmo (and we were lucky against Legia and Karagandy). Depends on the draw.

13. JamesM09

Yes. Absolutely.

The qualifiers are a hit and a miss. I think we've convinced ourselves that it's very difficult to qualify and only a quality manager can do it. I don't buy into that.

Most of the squads we've come up against in the past few years haven't been as good as ours. We've even been richer than many of these clubs and could have bought the players they fielded.

If a new manager had come in last summer, even without any new signings, does anyone think we really would've had no chance against Malmo and Qarabag? No, we would've probably comfortably beat Qarabag and likely Malmo too, who weren't a great side. Ronny couldn't handle the pressure and that seeped into the squad, hence why we threw away a 2-0 lead and didn't show up in Sweden.

A couple of quality players, sensible formation, decent draw and a manager that can handle expectations and pressure and there's absolutely no reason we can't qualify.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say we could get a dud manager in and still qualify for the Champions League. It's a hit and a miss.

14. scomur1888

Yes I think we have a good chance,seeded in all 3 rounds.

15. wulliebad

We will get some underwhelming manager in....spend 1-3 million and then strugle in europe and if we are lucky get to the EU groups.......its how we roll.

16. JamesM09

We'll spend a bit more this season now that there's more revenue and a greater need.

17. wulliebad

Not so sure....normally yes the spending would go up but I think we will spend a fair few millions clearing out our bloated squad.
    our new manager will expect a clear out.....unless its lennon and all we do is give forrest a new contract....lol.

18. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Of course we can. The best team we can play will be someone like Rosenborg. Whilst there's a decent chance we might not, even with our average team of the last two years it came down to a play-off which was effectively a 50/50 coin flip to see who would go through. If we don't strengthen and end up with a diddy like Owen Coyle we could still very well qualify with a bit of luck.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's gonna be extremely tough no matter who the appointment is..

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Given who we are and the resources we have we should be confident ...

the fact that we're not, and are worried about getting dicked out again the likes of malmo shows how far our opinions of this team have gone.