1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Celtic join Europe's elite in breakaway UEFA competition

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Mar 26, 2017.

Discuss Can Celtic join Europe's elite in breakaway UEFA competition in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it was last season, there was talk about the big 5 leagues forming their own competition similar to the current Champions league.
    There was a big kick up about it by other big European teams including Celtic.
    Since then, we have brought in Brendan Rodgers as manager and have big plans for refurbishing Lennoxtown and building a hotel complex next to Celtic Park.
    Is all this investment because of the meeting that Lawwell and Desmond had with the big clubs over in UEFA HQ.
    If so, what other developments are planned for the near future since the breakawy is supposed to happen in a couple of seasons time.

cidermaster likes this.
  2. TheHappyLoss

Hope so. Would love to get out of this corrupt * hole of a league. We owe this country nothing

3. Finn Balor

I have a genuine feeling there is something in the pipeline, no idea what though.

4. HansKelper

What meeting was that mate? Got a link?

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No link but it was in the papers that Lawwell went over to UEFA to meet wit other clubs who were going to be left out of the plans for new competition between the 5 big countries that UEFA were sanctioning to replace the current Champions League.
    I thought Desmond had went as well as PL.

6. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
  7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    What's the point? Money? It wouldn't be for trophies that's for sure. And where is the glamour of a CL night when you are doing it every week and getting pumped into the bargain off PSV, Ajax and the likes?

We'd only be doing it for the money and there's no point to me. Stupid reason.

Lancashire Nick and Bumblebee like this.
  9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree.
    Thing is, if we get blocked from that then there will be no more CL football for us and that means players won't want to come to us if they can't play in Europe.

10. Bumblebee

I agree with this man, although I feel like something like a European league is inevitable. I reckon the Celtic board will not want to be left behind and will jump at the opportunity if it comes up. I am against a European league but I also don't want to see us fall any further behind the likes of * like Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham etc

Drakhan likes this.
  11. Sween

I hate that football has become so money driven but we are where we are. It feels almost inevitable that there is going to be a european league set up as firstly, it will make lots of cash, and secondly, because domestic leagues are becoming increasingly dominated by monopolies.

On a purely football level, I think it would be great fun. Whats the alternative? Pumping every team in scotland every year indefinitely because we can buy and sell them many times over? Sure 10 in a row will be a novelty but would 12, or 15, or 20 in a row be much fun. I think it would be rotten.

Winning and losing in close and exciting games (even if you lose more often) is far more fun than running over teams a fraction of your size each week. And a european set up is the only way celtic will ever get that week in week out.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Am I missing something here?

PSV and Ajax are hardly world beaters.

13. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Who said they were? We are hardly world beaters ourselves. And barring a big CL night with a rocking atmosphere - which would be missing if we were playing Ajax Anderlecht and PSV week in week out and not just when we have excelled ourselves - we aren't an elite team.

People also seem to forget that yes we may get a * tonne more money but so will the other teams in the league.
    Some of them have just as a big a support locally as us.
    While we may go to the next level then so will they.

I'd rather we somehow worked with other clubs to improve our league, to deals and sponsorship opportunities rather than abandon the league because we think we're too good for it.

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It wouldnt matter if we fell behind the likes of Arsenal Chelsea and Tottenham since they are part of the big 5 leagues and therefore we would never even play against them.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If something like this was to ever happen then European football would probably cease to exist anyway.

No point in having a Champions League when the same sides are playing each other in their 'domestic' league. For the record, I can't see it materialising and I'm not quite sure I'd want it to.

A bit too far fetched and out there for my liking. I'd rather continue to go as we are and have less money than sell out to something like this.

edit: I've misread what we were talking about. Thought it was in regards to some 'Super League' format where teams would abandon their own country.

16. Markybhoy

I always find the attitudes of Celtic fans towards this sort of thing to be fascinating. On the one hand there are a lot of us who - quite rightly in my view - * about English football and the Champions League because of the way they have killed off our ability to compete for quality players or have success in Europe. But when it comes to Scottish Football there are just as many who look down on every other club in the country and dismiss them as * because they can't compete with us financially. There is a real contradiction going on there.

mygirlmaria and JC Anton like this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

No there isn't.

The difference with England is that they are all for their top clubs getting stronger and stronger, yet with Scotland they would quite happily see the flagship club - the one actually bringing any respect to Scottish fitba - dead, buried, gone, villified, disqualified and detested at every possible opportunity.

18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    First of all celtic wouldn't be getting pumped left right and centre off of psv or ajax if you think that what's the point of participating in cl or Europe

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Can tell you right now if celtic got the same money as ajax get domestically and champions league money we would be in front of them financial wise never heard so much pessimistic * in my life

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If it what it comes to then we have no choice but to do it but as if the now celtic if we can constantly qualify for group stages of cl we will develop with the money that it brings it also gives all the other teams money add in the new TV deal for betfred cup and irn bru cup all the other clubs in lower leagues get more money now because of it ... In terms of right celtic are in a good place going in the right direction and should be a leading club in Scotland in how things are done. In terms of the premiership it is getting stronger and will be stronger once hibs and dutd get back in it hearts soon will have a decent stadium to match hibs and by 2021 aberdeen should have a new stadium training ground and club facilities in my book these this make the league more attractive and attract better players forgot to add dundee have plans for training facilities and a new stadium too dumbarton have plans for new ground and so do queen of the south contrary to the nineties were clubs chased the money and spent big on foreign exports (without being scouted I might add) they are now investing it in infrastructure