1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Calvin Miller

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by T.Rogne25, Oct 14, 2013.

Discuss Calvin Miller in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Jeez let him get through puberty and he will naturally fill out a bit:56: he is a bit lightweight to be regularly in the first team currently.. kt is too but has that sort of wirey strength about him

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think KT is lightweight at all.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Even if he were it makes no difference because he doesn't get pushed off the ball and he is absolutely ferocious in the tackle. He can weigh 2 stone wet for all Celtic fans should care.

Swervedancer and Zander like this.
  4. H4nny14

I thought Calvin done well enough for his 1st competitive game. Unless you've played you don't realise how big the step up from under 20's to senior is, shows how good tierney really is. Calvin had always been a more attacking style player, striker/winger. Learning a new role will take time, as well as adjusting to a higher level. Playing him in games like last night will do him the world of good.

Swervedancer and ScouseHoops like this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Had a decent game, started to struggle in the second half so I could see why he was subbed.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  6. shaunm

Early days but not a lb for me,reminds me of when we tried to make Ross Wallace a lb,Ive watched Miller on a few occasions and have always been impressed with him playing on the wings

Swervedancer likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That was Strachan being a stubborn * unsurprisingly.

The theory behind giving him games at left back is sound. If he ends up at left wing it'll have done him no harm to know the position behind him.

Swervedancer likes this.
  8. shaunm

When I heard he has been playing left back in u20 games I assumed it was for him to learn the defensive side of his game to make him a better winger,but now I think Brendan sees that as his position if his quotes are anything to go by ie Ryan Bertrand started out as a forward player and Brendan developed him into a full back.Going forward Miller would be a good left back but defending I think he would really struggle

9. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Messi is difficult to shift off the ball because he has a low centre of gravity, good balance and agility. Not because he his built like the gable end of a house.

Miller is 18 years old, he will naturally get stronger in the next couple years and get that bit of strength, there's no need for him to be hitting the gym to try to bulk up

10. Aidan O’Shea

I know he's not 'built', but his low centre of gravity is aided by strong and powerful legs. He isn't skinny or slim.

11. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Is this pointing towards a January exit for Izzy?

12. John1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's good to see most posts positive , I just can't understand how any Celtic supporter could be negative about one of our own first 60 mins as a Senior Player . True Celtic supporters need to get right behind our new players coming through . It shouldn't take a genius to know that our team's success in the future will come through our academy, we cannot buy success

Swervedancer and Mince.Charming like this.
  13. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There were positives and negatives from his performance last night, but that's to be expected given his age and inexperience. No doubt he'll have have learned a lot and be looking to keep pushing on to get his next chance.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC kid Calvin Miller last night described his shock debut as “perfect” and vowed to stay part of Brendan Rodgers' plans for the rest of this season.

The 18-year-old was a surprise starter in his side’s win over Partick Thistle at Parkhead on Tuesday night becoming the latest first-team academy graduate to be given his chance – and he wants more after an impressive first showing.

Miller made his name at Celtic as a winger and yet did not look out of place at left-back, earning huge praise from Brendan Rodgers who told him at the weekend that he was set to start.

And he now wants to join the likes of James Forrest, Kieran Tierney and Callum McGregor as the next youth player to establish himself in Celtic’s senior squad.

Miller said: “It was amazing. I'm so happy to have been a part of it and I’m glad we got the win. It was the perfect debut.

“I had an idea on Sunday (he would play) so it was on my mind and I was really nervous for the last couple of hours before the game. But I just went out and did my job.

“Hopefully I can maintain my level of performance, continue to do well and the gaffer can see what am I doing and put me in the squad again.

"As it came up to kick-off I got more focused and I had all the boys around me to make me feel confident. They helped me a lot. My family was at the game which was great."

Miller signed for Celtic as a 15-year-old having caught the eye of the club scouts as a wide player in school and youth football.

But he didn’t mind having to play in a fairly unfamiliar position in order to impress his manager, and the Celtic support, and would be happy to make a permanent switch for the good of his career.

Miller, speaking to Celtic TV, revealed: “The manager just told me to be myself. He knows I’m a winger so he told me to be direct, get crosses in, and that what I did.

“I played the last three games in that position for the development side.

“I'm adapting to it. It's getting me into the first team quicker. It’s good having that variety of positions in my locker. I need to just keep doing well.”

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR on @calvin_miller7 : "Between now & the end of the season, more young players will get opportunities.

BR: "I wanted to see Calvin play under a bit of pressure. Felt it was a good game to put young Calvin in.

BR: "You want to see how they react and deal with a tough situation and I felt the boy (@calvin_miller7) did very well."

16. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Messi is one of the best athletes in the world btw. He's as strong as a man twice his size and as agile as they come- something that all footballers should strive for.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I've always taken lightweight as being easily pushed off the ball and not being able to stand your ground? Is it literally about how heavy * are? :56:

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. John1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think it is a great idea to play youngsters out of position . It gives them experience in playing a new position & helps them to understand team play . It is helpful for manager to see how youngster reacts to different position . I don't imagine that Brendan is actually looking upon Miller as a full back