1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Calvin Miller

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by T.Rogne25, Oct 14, 2013.

Discuss Calvin Miller in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR on @calvin_miller7: "I was delighted with him. For an 18-year-old, who has just moved position, he did very well. Big positive for us."

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Thought he struggled a bit, the big guy he was up against was faster, taller and stonger than him and had him worried defensively although he never really created anything he did get the better of him 3/4 times. He put in a good cross in the 2nd half, one of his only attempts, got in the box well once too but I felt he was worried about the guy he was up against and not attacking as freely as Izaguirre or Tierney would.

3. TheHappyLoss

Gave the ball away quite a few times but then who didn't

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Swervedancer likes this.
  5. James Gold Member Gold Member

Wasn't great tbh

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  6. Swervedancer Guest

I thought there were more positives to take from his debut than negatives.

7. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Why did he move position

8. gerry_bhoy

Don't see the long term plan on playing him LB mind. The spots KT's.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan asked him to move to LB he really likes Calvin.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic manager was naturally delighted with the three points, while there was the added bonus of seeing Calvin Miller make his first-team debut.

The 18-year-old Youth Academy graduate, who has only recently slotted into a left-back role for the Development Squad, took up that position for the Glasgow derby agaist Partick Thistle. And his performance brought praise from his manager.

“I thought for 18-years of age, a young player who’s just moved position really, he did very well in his first game,” the manager said. “That was a big positive for us. He’ll feel the power and the strength needed to be a first-team player.

“He was up against a good opponent who was fast and strong, and that was the idea – put him in where it was a test. David Amoo is quick and strong so that was always going to be a good test for him, but I thought he did very, very well.”

And the Hoops boss drew comparisons with Ryan Bertrand, whom he converted from a left-winger to an England international left-back.

“Calvin’s a kid that I’ve been impressed with because he really wants to learn, he wants to develop,” he said, “and I did a similar thing when I was at Chelsea with Ryan Bertrand.

“We took Ryan from Gillingham into Chelsea and he came in as a left-winger in the same team as Scott Sinclair, who was a striker. I moved Scotty wide and put Ryan at left-back, and Ryan went on and played for England and won the Champions League with Chelsea. He's now at Southampton, and he’s an outstanding player.

“And I see similar traits in Calvin where he can do that one position behind, but he’s only 18 so he needs time to develop, learn the position, learn the role, but he’s got some outstanding qualities that can offer the club something going forward.”

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Can be a thousand underlying reasons but ultimately you can't dictate a certain player plays somewhere because you've got someone else for that position.

If Rodgers thinks he has the attributes to become a left wing back then so be it.

Regardless of that anyway, it'll do his development no harm to learn about the defensive and positional attributes needed at left back if he has a future further up field in the end up.

12. doctor venglos

The long term plan might be to be the understudy to KT.I thought he did well.

13. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Problem with today's youth players...we can see their social media post fae when they were 16 :giggle1: miller.jpg

14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Gotta give him time, for starters he's a natural winger so moving him to left back will take time, keep him in the first team and he'll learn quickly from Izzy, Lustig, Tierney etc.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

“Being around more senior players also gives you a lift and gives you something to strive for."

Calvin Miller

16. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    missed the game howd he play??

17. jordan_

Someone hand the boy some weights & protein shake FFS :56:

I've never understood how some players can be so lightweight in today's modern game. Surely these kids look at the best in the world who are all incredible athletes. Less Fifa more gym please.

18. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Messi is about as lightweight as possible, he does no too badly. Not every player has to be built like the lovechild of Balde and Wanyama.

I mean look at how Forrest's performances dropped when he bulked up in the gym and put on some muscle

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His build is fine, he'll pack out a bit naturally as he gets older. He looks athletic enough for a teenager.

Alright, had an hour on the park. Kept things simple with his passing, tried to join in further up the field. Misplaced a couple passes and made 1 poor attempt at getting to the byline just running into the guy. Showed he can tackle a couple of times.

Pretty basic debut really.

20. Aidan O’Shea

Messi is not lightweight. Very difficult to nudge off the ball.